Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Rare video footage: Brighton v Fulham 1969/70

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
How odd that the programme is in colour but the highlights are in black and white

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
Freeze frame suggests Napier may well have punched the first goal in.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Freeze frame suggests Napier may well have punched the first goal in.

Alan Gilliver, I think. Kit Napier took the corner.

The footage was in black and white because the game would originally have been covered by the useless Southern Soccer.

But what was really unusual was seeing a game covered by cameras in the West Stand.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Yes, Gilliver with the equaliser.

Anger

Jul 21, 2017
Fulham have every right to be annoyed with that goal.

1234andcounting

Mar 31, 2008
Isn't Kit Napier one of the few Albion players to have scored directly from a corner?

Fulham's goal by Johnny Haynes, first £100 pw footballer. Just goes to show how money is spoiling the game.

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
Seems like yesterday . Remember it so well . Thanks for posting .

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
Isn't Kit Napier one of the few Albion players to have scored directly from a corner?

Fulham's goal by Johnny Haynes, first £100 pw footballer. Just goes to show how money is spoiling the game.

I thought I saw Albion score from a corner at Wrexham once. Crumplin, perhaps ?

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Kit Napier did indeed score from a corner, in front of the North Stand. It had been coming, as his delicately-floated flag kicks used to curl in under the bar and put keepers under tremendous pressure. And he could take them from both sides.

Johnny Crumplin football genius's effort was really unusual in that he took it right-footed from the right so, logically, it should have been an outswinger. But I think he sliced it a bit and it dropped in.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Alan Gilliver, I think. Kit Napier took the corner.

The footage was in black and white because the game would originally have been covered by the useless Southern Soccer.

But what was really unusual was seeing a game covered by cameras in the West Stand.

Yes good spot, funnily enough I was thinking about the scaffolding that used to appear on the East terrace......

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Yes good spot, funnily enough I was thinking about the scaffolding that used to appear on the East terrace......

I know the BBC did that when they televised games, but Southern's budget was probably so low that they just stuck a camera in the press box.

taz

Feb 18, 2015
Lovely pass from the very underrated Willy Henderson for the second goal,, kit Napier was the supports favourite by far as the main attacking player in build up or scoring !! Fulham were allways a big crowd puller at the goldstone but we're usually in divisions above us,, the Albion home crowd record 36000+ was just ten years before this game !!

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
Kit Napier did indeed score from a corner, in front of the North Stand. It had been coming, as his delicately-floated flag kicks used to curl in under the bar and put keepers under tremendous pressure. And he could take them from both sides.

Johnny Crumplin football genius's effort was really unusual in that he took it right-footed from the right so, logically, it should have been an outswinger. But I think he sliced it a bit and it dropped in.

Only direct corner I personally remember was Wolves scoring against Tony Meola.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
I've seen Kit score at least two direct from corners and from opposite side too, so truly two footed.

Stewart Henderson was our No 2, not Willie. He was a tidy full back, small and classy.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Lovely pass from the very underrated Willy Henderson for the second goal,, kit Napier was the supports favourite by far as the main attacking player in build up or scoring !! Fulham were allways a big crowd puller at the goldstone but we're usually in divisions above us,, the Albion home crowd record 36000+ was just ten years before this game !!
Willy Henderson?

Edit: Oops, sorry - someone beat me to it.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here