Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What a club!

Long story short!

My 13 year old nephew, Joseph, has been diagnosed with B cell Non-Hodgkin lymphoma. Although he has a very good chance of getting through it he is faced with a year of heavy chemotherapy. With three years of check ups. A little more information can be found here:

https://www.lymphomas.org.uk/about-lymphoma/types/non-hodgkin-lymphoma

That side of my wife's family are lifelong West Ham fans and season ticket holders. So I had attempted to contact West Ham in various ways,to see if they could do something to cheer him up as he goes through chemotherapy. I had tried calling, their website, emails to the CEO etc. But I had heard nothing back. So upon meeting Paul Barber at a Seagulls over Burwash evening I asked him. He put me in touch with Sarah Gower who is head of Supporter services and she contacted West Ham on mine and Joseph's behalf

Yesterday my nephew received a letter signed by Billic, a pen, a fidget spinner and a team photo that was framed with the players' signatures.

Firstly, well done to West Ham for sending him those items. He was chuffed to bits. But, what is so amazing to me is the effort that our club put in to help my nephew who isn't even a West Ham fan. That when I was starting to give up, they helped me cheer Joseph up with a package from West Ham.

I know that sometimes we moan, but having had no response from another club our club is amazing on things like this. Yes they don't get it right all the time. Yes we may not agree with all of their decisions, but i truly believe that their heart is in the right place and #together does mean something.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
PB often goes above and beyond what could be reasonably expected.

#DoffsHat

Best wishes to your nephew too.

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
Fantastic from PB to even bother. That's the measure of the man we have steering the good ship Albion ATM.

As someone who lost a parent to non Hodgkin's lymphoma nearly 20 years ago I'm so glad that medical advances have made it a much more survivable cancer.

Send him by best!

Charles 'Charley' Charles

NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2005
The Mile Of Oaks
All the best to your nephew, as a family I knew what you'll all be going through. Last year when my son was diagnosed with Leukaemia, Paul Barber, Paul Camlin, Sarah Gower were all all amazing in what they did for my son, really above and beyond. They really made a big difference to him, us and his treatment, and couldn't be prouder of them and our club.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
Best of luck to your nephew that's the main thing.
Ref PB I genuinely believe that despite some stick he may get he is a brilliant CEO and a credit to the club.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Nice story. But was anyone else hoping that Barber managed to POACH the little lad away from West Ham, and turn him into a lifelong Seagull instead ?

Ahh well. Great work from PB and the club once again. It makes me wonder just how many wonderful things this club quietly does for people that we never even get to hear about.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Nice story. But was anyone else hoping that Barber managed to POACH the little lad away from West Ham, and turn him into a lifelong Seagull instead ?

Ahh well. Great work from PB and the club once again. It makes me wonder just how many wonderful things this club quietly does for people that we never even get to hear about.

I concur PB is tops. It took a while for me to get him but he is clearly bright cares and gives a shit about the club and fans it must be a tough job TBF

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Update!
Utterly blown away by our club... additional email from Paul Barber inviting my Nephew to the Amex for game against West Ham..amazing #bhafc
Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
That is a lovely gesture, hope your nephew has a great day!

btnbelle

Apr 26, 2017
Wishing your nephew a full recovery. Puts everything into perspective, life in the Premier League or Championship the Seagulls will survive. They deserve our support win, lose or draw, :albion2:

Big G

Dec 14, 2005
Brighton
Indeed mate, think Barber is is an absolute credit to our club and him paving the way to sorting something for your nephew is again credit to him!
But more importantly just hope your nephew gets well soon mate!

Gullys Cats

Sausage by the sea!!!
Nov 27, 2010
NSC
I wish your nephew all the best and a comfortable and speedy recovery.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here