Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gold Investment - Yay or Nay

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
Been looking into sticking some savings somewhere long term and got looking at Gold coins, bars etc as an investment. Also signature gold by the Royal Mint looks an option.

Anyone on here dabbled in gold and have any good or bad advice. Obviously I am aware it is a risk like most things but does appeal to me.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Been looking into sticking some savings somewhere long term and got looking at Gold coins, bars etc as an investment. Also signature gold by the Royal Mint looks an option.

Anyone on here dabbled in gold and have any good or bad advice. Obviously I am aware it is a risk like most things but does appeal to me.

You'll need somewhere safe to keep them..i could help you out there :whistle:

Bisto

Getting older everyday
Oct 25, 2010
Brighton

It depends on what your investment is for. Gold is volatile and is highly priced currently (jumped £170 / ounce since Brexit and Trump) and doesn't return dividend or interest, therefore it locks your money away.
That said price generally Is upward.
There are other benefits No VAT and easily transferred to kids with less visibility particularly Coins.
Coins cost more per ounce but more attractive to buyers and almost untraceable.
Shop about for gold brokers Big city dealers give best rates and you know you are buying what you think you are. Avoid eBay Auction rooms and pawn brokers

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
historically its not a great investment. its supposed to be a store of value, a hedge against inflation, and on that basis performs. but ive read enough analysis and comment to conclude its just another commodity now. i keep meaning to buy some coins for the novelty, you lose a fair % striaght away though. bars are the only way to keep close to the spot price.

Last edited:

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
No, gold's value is largely related to the strength of the dollar. If the dollar strengthens, gold's value declines. U.S interest rates are only going to increase which will strenghten the value of the US dollar.

I woudn't invest in it for the time being.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
image.gif

Yay

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

meant another commodity. it reflects whims of speculators, industrial and consumer demand rather than hard economics it once did.

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
meant another commodity. it reflects whims of speculators, industrial and consumer demand rather than hard economics it once did.

As does almost every other asset, commodity etc. It's all determined by supply and demand. Hard economics is determined by industrial and consumer demand.
The value of gold as a currency, was always determined by supply and demand, of industrial and consumers, that has never really changed.

Gold these days is a method for hedging flucuation in foreign exchange rates, less so than an investment itself.

If people are interested in buying gold, the time to do it is at the peak of a business cycle and when interest rates are high and US dollar is strong. When cycles begin to end, generally prices increase as interest rates fall.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Good advice I'm going to buy as many of these as I can tomorrow and then sit back and watch my investment rise.

mcvities-gold-bar.jpg

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
Thank you for all your comments. I shall research further before I commit to anything.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
When the world turns to shit go long on gold. Was talking to someone yesterday who thinks by 2020 the economy will be on its knees with some good points to back it up with interesting.

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
When the world turns to shit go long on gold. Was talking to someone yesterday who thinks by 2020 the economy will be on its knees with some good points to back it up with interesting.

I am looking at long term 10 - 20 years roughly and can sell at any time. I have shares already and money sitting in my bank account is effectively losing value with inflation.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here