Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ever really cocked up on an email ?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Awkwardness today.

Someone emailed me for the second time late yesterday afternoon, chasing up some numbers that I hadn't got round to sending (probably too busy on here). I was almost on my way out of the door, so I just rattled off a quick reply which said:

"Sorry I didn't respond to your precious email, I'll come back to you first thing tomorrow", sent it, and logged off.

Obviously I meant PREVIOUS not PRECIOUS. So I got in this morning to a rather snarky reply from him which just said "Nice attitude". :facepalm:

I've had to call him and apologise, with my feeble explanation that it was honestly just a typo. I don't know him very well though, so I'm not sure he was convinced. This is probably the second most embarrassing thing to have happened to me in this office this calendar year. I hate emails.

*sigh*

Jimmehh

Mar 21, 2016
Sussex by the Sea
Not me personally, but about me...

Once had a colleague email me by accident, bitching about me...

Wouldn't own up to who it was supposed to be sent too - and tried to play it off that he meant for it to go to me... I didn't believe him surprisingly.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

Wouldn't own up to who it was supposed to be sent too - and tried to play it off that he meant for it to go to me... I didn't believe him surprisingly.
I actually did this on my last day about 7 years ago. Last day, and I sent an email absolutely slaughtering a fairly high ranking IT manager who was clueless, incompetent, and brought nothing to the table except hiring his mates who also tended to be absolute crap.

I'd had about 4 pints at lunchtime and set about sending an "amusing" email to various mates, and put his name in the cc column in Outlook in order to spell it correctly. I forgot to take it off.

It went down an absolute TREAT. :lolol:

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003

Surprisingly common.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
He he. I have a very similar incident in my locker, caused by rushing and the bad luck of two keys being close together, but giving a very different attitude to the whole email.

I can't remember what had happened, but basically I was giving a hard time to a couple of guys on site. Probably the site manager had left it to the QS, and vice versa, when BOTH should have stepped up and grasped the situation. Anyway, I was ranting, I was raving, firing my two index fingers at the keyboard like never before.

When in such a rage, I type too fast, so I do (nearly) always read my emails back, even if it's only to try and pick up my inevitable collection of "teh" typos. On this occasion, I did read it back, and yes I was being firm, yes I was being angry, but I felt it warranted it. Yep, happy with that, so just signed off with my usual "Regards" and hit send.

The "g" and the "t" are so close to each, but it really does sign off in a very different tone at the end of a bollocking.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
This is probably the second most embarrassing thing to have happened to me in this office this calendar year. I hate emails.

Dare we ask what the most embarrassing was?

As far as the topic goes, a member of my family once sent out a document to various people and organisations around Sussex, including the Lord Lieutenant and various mayors, with regard to a charity with which they are involved. Said document should have been headed "List Of Public Events"...

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I managed to get "Afterboob" instead of Afternoon, Aco***** instead of Accounts and "Kind retards" instead of "Kind Regards" into one email once.

I then read it back and didn't hit send.

Phew.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Working for a previous employer, my boss emailed me, asking if xxxx had finished a project that was taking ages.

I was team leader, and replied "I will give xxxx another rocket. He is in one of his bolshy moods, pain in the ar5e"

Bumped into my boss in the corridor who told me that he admired my style, copying xxxx into my reply.

Oh Sh*t, hadn't realised he was copied in to the original email....

Awkward meeting but he actually sped up and completed the project.

Still feel awkward about it today.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Sent an email at 10pm to the "Board" email user group confirming that, as agreed, I would be firing the Finance Director the following morning. Forgot that said FD was a member of "Board". Ooops. The IT manager was delighted when I pulled him out of a party telling him to get onto the email system pronto and remove the email from the FD's account manually.

IT Manager: "Why?"
Me: "Just sent him an email that I shouldn't have."
ITM: "The rumours are true then..."
Me: "....."
ITM: "Ok; will do. I promise not to read it."
Me: "That'd be good".

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Back in late 90s, when work email was still a novelty, a colleague of my wife's forwarded on a video of a young lady tugging off a horse and the huge resulting money shot. However when he was forwarding it he clicked on email group Managers not Mates and sent it to every senior manager in the multi national coporation. When he realised what he'd done he just packed his desk and left rather than waiting to be sacked. He got a job at MTV a week later.

Tajtim

Sep 2, 2016
Yes, ages back when email was still relatively new. I was "plotting" with another member of our management team about how we were going to coerce a more junior member of staff into a situation which would enable us to broach the subject of moving her on from her current role and we exchanged a few emails on the subject. A few days later, I inadvertently copied the latest of the exchange, which was now focusing on a different topic completely, to someone else, not realising what was contained several messages further down. Of course, word got back to the young lady concerned and there were red faces all round, not least mine as I learned a harsh lesson.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
A former colleague had the classic 'leaving the o out of accounts' typo

Whilst rushing an email on my phone autocorrect changed my sloppy spelling from what should have said your account to you're a c*nt. Luckily I noticed before I sent it.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
He he. I have a very similar incident in my locker, caused by rushing and the bad luck of two keys being close together, but giving a very different attitude to the whole email.

I can't remember what had happened, but basically I was giving a hard time to a couple of guys on site. Probably the site manager had left it to the QS, and vice versa, when BOTH should have stepped up and grasped the situation. Anyway, I was ranting, I was raving, firing my two index fingers at the keyboard like never before.

When in such a rage, I type too fast, so I do (nearly) always read my emails back, even if it's only to try and pick up my inevitable collection of "teh" typos. On this occasion, I did read it back, and yes I was being firm, yes I was being angry, but I felt it warranted it. Yep, happy with that, so just signed off with my usual "Regards" and hit send.

The "g" and the "t" are so close to each, but it really does sign off in a very different tone at the end of a bollocking.

:lolol:

I've sent a few "Best Retards" in my time too.

Then there was the time I managed to send a Seagulls Predictions League update to the wrong distribution list in my Outlook (complete with some colourful match write-ups with some "cheeky" metaphors thrown in, plus an Excel spreadsheet with full League table, and a request for the following months scoreline predictions to be filled out). I'm not sure the Chairman, CEO, Directors, senior management and pretty much the entire business really wanted to read up on all the latest Albion trevails that week.

Ugg.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
:lolol:

I've sent a few "Best Retards" in my time too.

Then there was the time I managed to send a Seagulls Predictions League update to the wrong distribution list in my Outlook (complete with some colourful match write-ups with some "cheeky" metaphors thrown in, plus an Excel spreadsheet with full League table, and a request for the following months scoreline predictions to be filled out). I'm not sure the Chairman, CEO, Directors and senior management really wanted to read up on all the latest Albion trevails that week.

Ugg.

But by adding the "Best ..." I think it stands out more as a typo. But I don't, I'm a straight up and down "Regards" man. Then when you do the old g/t typo, it does read like you are just finishing you bollicking off with an intended insult.

Tch, I can't believe we didn't get some new recruits for the SPL out of that one. Was that shortly before the FD was forced to step away and not play any more?

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Not an email, but I was on a 'conference call' (the other two people were on handsfree on a mobile) and the phone was left on after the call had finished. The nature of the call was fine – just going through some work I was doing for them and sorting out what needed to be done. I thought everything was fine and even quite jovial and they were happy with what I'd done for them and was proposing.

Unfortunately, when she thought I'd gone, the Doris said to her mate 'Cor, he's hard work, isn't he?' To make matters WORSE, I got an email from her about two minutes later saying 'Thanks for your time just now. I was just saying to Andy how HARD-WORKING you were' :lol:

Although I didn't let on to them that I'd heard her comment, the working relationship went south pretty quickly from that point :moo:

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
I once responded to an email which contained a customer complaint with something along the lines of "This guy again? Give it a f**king rest". I clicked 'Reply All'. Did not notice the customer was on the recipient list.

That was a bad day.

I had a similar-ish issue once. Account manager reported an issue to me which turned out to be user error rather than a fault. I replied to the account manager with an explanation as to why this wasn't our fault and signed it off with something along the lines of "in short it's just the client being a dick". The account manager I can only assume didn't read the last sentence and just forwarded my mail on to the client.

Boss wasn't overly pleased with me or the account manager.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto

I've had the same thing, except over the work instant messenger.

I'm a software developer, and he was bitching about how some of my code was too simple and straightforward. I used it as a good opportunity to tell him what I thought of his coding style. He'd make things so complicated and "clever" that even he didn't understand how they worked, and almost every change he made completely broke something else.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here