Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ripen in the bowl

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
What the actual ****?

I bought 5 nectarines from Tesco yesterday morning, and they're still not ready to eat. I wanted to eat a ****ing nectarine yesterday, and am still waiting.

Provide me ripe ****ing fruit when I want it.

:ffsparr:

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
What the actual ****?

I bought 5 nectarines from Tesco yesterday morning, and they're still not ready to eat. I wanted to eat a ****ing nectarine yesterday, and am still waiting.

Don't for gawd's sake buy ripen at home avocados then!

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
Don't for gawd's sake buy ripen at home avocados then!

There seems to be no happy medium with avocados! I buy a pack for my wife's daily salad for work. They are either so hard that she can't eat them, or they go brown inside after Monday...

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
plan ahead and buy your nectarines last Sunday.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
There seems to be no happy medium with avocados! I buy a pack for my wife's daily salad for work. They are either so hard that she can't eat them, or they go brown inside after Monday...

You've got something like a three minute window sometime during the seven or so days after you buy them when they're ready to go. Miss it and they're going in the bin. It's worse than playing Russian roulette with five bullets in the chamber.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
I bought the 5 nectarine deal from Tesco on Tuesday and they're now in my fridge awaiting eating.

I also bought a pre-pack of cherries that were best-before on that date and they were lovely and ripe last night. Also 68p instead of £2.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I feel your pain.

I'm having severe issues with my Tesco satsumas. I like them because the skin is nice and loose and easy to peel without accidentally RUPTURING a fleshy segment with a fingernail. But the loose skin comes at a price - within about 25 minutes of them being in the fruit bowl, they've all but dried out intside and gone all wrinkled.

Not.
Good.
Enough.

BlockDpete

Oct 8, 2005
Was going to suggest the banana option, but in this warm weather they should ripen pretty quick.

Just press the top of the fruit and if its a bit soft then it's ready to eat.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
I feel your pain.

I'm having severe issues with my Tesco satsumas. I like them because the skin is nice and loose and easy to peel without accidentally RUPTURING a fleshy segment with a fingernail. But the loose skin comes at a price - within about 25 minutes of them being in the fruit bowl, they've all but dried out intside and gone all wrinkled.

Not.
Good.
Enough.

FFS - satsumas are for Christmas only!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Was going to suggest the banana option, but in this warm weather they should ripen pretty quick.

Just press the top of the fruit and if its a bit soft then it's ready to eat.

m0captainobvious_m_Royal%20Blue.jpg

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
You don't get this nonsense with apples.

Sussex on Leith

Sep 11, 2003
Leith
I left one to ripen in the bowl this morning. My girlfriend came home, opened all the windows, flushed it away angrily and chucked me out of the house.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
What the actual ****?

A complete con. Nobody ever says "you know what ? In 3 weeks time I might fancy a nice ripe plum or two". If I ever go into the co-op in Shoreham, they have nothing else except Ripen at home stuff. Just a way of getting you to save them money. Another one I saw recently was "unwashed salad leaves" in a bag, and they were charging more for it. B*gger that.

While we're at it, for all the ways they now have of getting you to scan their produce - which saves them money in checkout staff. If you want me to use those, I want a discount

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here