Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ticket transfers

Diablo

NSC Patreon
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
Took this off ticket site....I`m sure everyone, me included can`t go sometimes .I have ticket with my son when I can`t go he normally takes a mate and when he can`t go I take friend. As a season ticket holder am I allowed to let someone else go if I can`t ???

REMINDER TO SUPPORTERS

Finally supporters are reminded that tickets are strictly non-transferable and any transfer or resale of tickets is illegal (under section 166 of the Criminal Justice and Public Order Act 1994, as amended by the Violent Crime Reduction Act 2006).

The club has a zero tolerance policy with regards to this and anyone found to be breaking the law is liable to face criminal prosecution and would be banned indefinitely from purchasing home and away match

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
If I can't go I would like to give my ticket to one if my family I hope the club will be sensible and only go for touts.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Covered here: http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?353691-Reminder-to-Supporters

It's just a continuation of the club's messaging over the last few seasons.

The simple fact is if you give your season ticket to a friend or family member to use then there is nothing the club can do about it, unless they are prepared to enforce photographic ID checking at the point of entry to the Amex. The club have previously said they accept this happens and turn a blind eye to it (and as I said, they sort of have to, as they can't stop it).

Now we're under the Premier League spotlight, I'm not sure the club would still give a similar "blind eye" response, however I would not be concerned in allowing my tickets to be used by a friend when I'm unable to attend.

I wouldn't pass on my ticket to someone unknown, nor tout it on, and I suspect that is the kind of activity that the club will seriously frown upon.

Diablo

NSC Patreon
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
Covered here: http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?353691-Reminder-to-Supporters

It's just a continuation of the club's messaging over the last few seasons.

The simple fact is if you give your season ticket to a friend or family member to use then there is nothing the club can do about it, unless they are prepared to enforce photographic ID checking at the point of entry to the Amex. The club have previously said they accept this happens and turn a blind eye to it (and as I said, they sort of have to, as they can't stop it). Now we're under the Premier League spotlight, I'm not sure the club would still give a similar "blind eye" response, however I would not be concerned in allowing my tickets to be used by a friend when I'm unable to attend.

I wouldn't pass on my ticket to someone unknown, nor tout it on, and I suspect that is the kind of activity that the club will seriously frown upon.

Thanks !!.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Think this all back covering exercise so the club can say they've done all they can to stop ticket fraud. As Bozza says unless you're touting this shouldn't be a worry.

Know some families that share season tickets, as in 3 families all paid a third share of the price and all go to a third of the games but the tickets are only in 1 family's names, so should ask them if they are worried.

As I have stated previously I do not know how the club can enforce this rule when they formally allow ticket upgrades which is, in effect, a ticket transfer endorsed by them. Anybody know the answer ?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
As I have stated previously I do not know how the club can enforce this rule when they formally allow ticket upgrades which is, in effect, a ticket transfer endorsed by them. Anybody know the answer ?

They can't enforce it without photographic ID at the point of entry.

That aside, you've sort of answered your own question. Ticket transfers are allowed, legally, if the club authorise them. So, when ticket upgrades are processed, the club is providing agreement for that to happen. In the same way the big clubs operate ticket reselling via Ticketmaster and similar agencies.

When you bung your ticket to a mate, the club have provided no authorisation for that to happen so, technically at least, you've broken the law.

Diablo

NSC Patreon
Sep 22, 2014
lewes

That aside, you've sort of answered your own question. Ticket transfers are allowed, legally, if the club authorise them. So, when ticket upgrades are processed, the club is providing agreement for that to happen. In the same way the big clubs operate ticket reselling via Ticketmaster and similar agencies.

When you bung your ticket to a mate, the club have provided no authorisation for that to happen so, technically at least, you've broken the law.

you`ve rather back tracked on what you said earlier haven`t you ?? Doesn`t it need club to issue statement ??

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

***Waits for the club email about uploading a photo to my fan account***

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
I believe the only ways you are allowed are if you're 1901 or a private seat licence holder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So logically, and if the club were to act equitably, you should be able to ask them to transfer the ticket for a particular number of games within the same price band and they should say that is OK.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Below is the terms and conditions on Man U season tickets.

Why can't the club follow the same policy rather then sending out pompous threats?

Kind of blows up all the backside covering theories don't you think?

For each home match, a Ticket Holder shall (on a match by match basis) be entitled to lend their Season Ticket to a friend or a member of their family provided, in each case, that:
(a) the Ticket Holder: (1) shall be responsible for ensuring that the Authorised User complies with these terms and conditions as if the Authorised User were the Ticket Holder; and (2) shall be liable for the acts and omissions of the Authorised User; and any breach by the Authorised User of these terms and conditions shall be deemed to be a breach by the Ticket Holder themselves;
(b) the Ticket Holder shall not in any way advertise or market the availability of their Season Ticket on a loan basis (or otherwise) for any home match;
(c) at the request of the Club, the Ticket Holder shall provide the Club with the name and contact details of any Authorised User;
(d) Under-16 Ticket Holders and 18-20 Ticket Holders shall only be entitled to lend their Season Ticket to a friend or a member of their family who is able to provide satisfactory proof of their eligibility to use the Ticket Holder’s particular category of ticket for the relevant match;
(e) 16-17 Ticket Holders shall only be entitled to lend their Season Ticket to a friend or a member of their family who is able to provide satisfactory proof of their eligibility to use either: (i) a 16-17 ticket for the relevant match; or (ii) a 65 & over ticket for the relevant match;
(f) 65 & Over Ticket Holders shall only be entitled to lend their Season Ticket to a friend or a member of their family who is able to provide satisfactory proof of their eligibility to use either: (i) a 65 & over ticket for the relevant match; or (ii) a 16-17 ticket for the relevant match; and
(g) the Ticket Holder shall not be entitled to any part-refund from the Club based on the age of the Authorised User for any home match.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
you`ve rather back tracked on what you said earlier haven`t you ?? Doesn`t it need club to issue statement ??

I don't want to keep posting about this as every post I make increases the chances of me getting a stroppy email.

Transferring football tickets to someone, even if no money changes hands is illegal. The club has repeatedly told us about this.

However, many friends and families share tickets on some sort of basis and although I can't be bothered to go off and find the statements, I'm pretty sure the club has previously stated that this is something they accept happens and they turn a blind eye to.

From a personal perspective, on the rare occasions I am unable to attend a game I may allow my tickets to be used by a trusted friend. I understand other fans do likewise. I accept I would be breaking the letter of the law, if maybe not the spirit of the law. I also accept that if my trusted friend does bad things inside the stadium, then I risk losing my season ticket.

I would not allow my tickets to be used by someone I do not know, nor would I sell them on to someone I do not know.

You make whatever choice you feel is right for you.

The club have promised a proper automated ticket exchange facility this season which will allow club endorsed transfers to take place, presumably with some sort of compensation given to the season ticket holder.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Took this off ticket site....I`m sure everyone, me included can`t go sometimes .I have ticket with my son when I can`t go he normally takes a mate and when he can`t go I take friend. As a season ticket holder am I allowed to let someone else go if I can`t ???

REMINDER TO SUPPORTERS

Finally supporters are reminded that tickets are strictly non-transferable and any transfer or resale of tickets is illegal (under section 166 of the Criminal Justice and Public Order Act 1994, as amended by the Violent Crime Reduction Act 2006).

The club has a zero tolerance policy with regards to this and anyone found to be breaking the law is liable to face criminal prosecution and would be banned indefinitely from purchasing home and away match

They may indeed say that,

However, if you look at section 3.3 for the Terms and Conditions of Sale for Home Match Tickets you will find this text:

In the event that you and/or your Guest are unable to use any Home Match Ticket then you may transfer that Home Match Ticket(s) to a natural person who is known to you personally who would be entitled (under the Terms & Conditions of Entry) to purchase such Home Match Ticket and attend such Match PROVIDED THAT such transfer takes place in consideration of no payment or benefit in excess of the face value of the Home Match Ticket, and such transfer does not take place in the course of any business or for the purpose of facilitating any third party's business. Such transfer will be subject to the Terms & Conditions of Entry which will (save for any rights to transfer under this clause or any rights to a refund under clause 4.3) apply to the transferee as if he were the original purchaser of the Home Match Ticket (and you must inform the transferee of this). You will provide the name and address of the transferee when asked to do so by any official, steward or employee of the Club or any police officer.

So you can give your ticket to someone else provided you know them, they aren't banned and they pay you no more than the face value. I don't understand how that is compatible with the text you quote above, but then I'm no lawyer.

There is similar text for Season Tickets, with the added phrase of 'Club consent', i.e. "You may only sell or transfer the Season Ticket to a Guest with the express written consent of the Club given at the Club's absolute discretion, provided that such sale or transfer is in respect of an individual Match and in consideration of no payment or benefit in excess of the face value of a ticket to that Match ...............etc "

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex

However, if you look at section 3.3 for the Terms and Conditions of Sale you will find this text:

In the event that you and/or your Guest are unable to use any Home Match Ticket then you may transfer that Home Match Ticket(s) to a natural person who is known to you personally who would be entitled (under the Terms & Conditions of Entry) to purchase such Home Match Ticket and attend such Match PROVIDED THAT such transfer takes place in consideration of no payment or benefit in excess of the face value of the Home Match Ticket, and such transfer does not take place in the course of any business or for the purpose of facilitating any third party's business. Such transfer will be subject to the Terms & Conditions of Entry which will (save for any rights to transfer under this clause or any rights to a refund under clause 4.3) apply to the transferee as if he were the original purchaser of the Home Match Ticket (and you must inform the transferee of this). You will provide the name and address of the transferee when asked to do so by any official, steward or employee of the Club or any police officer.

So you can give your ticket to someone else provided you know them, they aren't banned and they pay you no more than the face value. I don't understand how that is compatible with the text you quote above, but then I'm no lawyer

Absolutely and a good spot - follows up my post earlier on. I just assumed that after that quote in the email that the club had a different policy.

The club are not helping themselves at all here......

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

However, if you look at section 3.3 for the Terms and Conditions of Sale for Home Match Tickets you will find this text:

So you can give your ticket to someone else provided you know them, they aren't banned and they pay you no more than the face value. I don't understand how that is compatible with the text you quote above, but then I'm no lawyer.

There is similar text for Season Tickets, with the added phrase of 'Club consent', i.e. "You may only sell or transfer the Season Ticket to a Guest with the express written consent of the Club given at the Club's absolute discretion, provided that such sale or transfer is in respect of an individual Match and in consideration of no payment or benefit in excess of the face value of a ticket to that Match ...............etc "

Good find.

If people are sensible, they'll be ok.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Many years ago I worked for a company in Brighton and the company bought 6 season tickets for the Albion. For each home game they would run a lottery entry for staff and if you were lucky, you had the use of the tickets for a match to take family and/or friends as you saw fit.

Obviously this meant there were different people sat in those same seats from match to match.

This was back in the Goldstone days, but can / do Corporates still do this?

Different company did exactly the same for the County Ground to watch the cricket.

Is a Corporate season ticket somehow different to an individual?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here