Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Long Time No See

el punal

Just trawling through the records and if I'm right the longest period of time since we played a First Division/ Premier League side would be against Everton - 9th April 1983, a mere 34 and a bit years ago! The only other clubs that we haven't played against in ages, West Brom and Chelsea (late 1980s) Man.Utd (1991 League Cup?).

Amazing isn't it, that the more junior fans (and some senior ones!) of our great club could possibly end up, at the end of the season, having seen the Albion in four divisions and seen us play against 100 different clubs. :albion2:

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Just trawling through the records and if I'm right the longest period of time since we played a First Division/ Premier League side would be against Everton - 9th April 1983, a mere 34 and a bit years ago! The only other clubs that we haven't played against in ages, West Brom and Chelsea (late 1980s) Man.Utd (1991 League Cup?).

Amazing isn't it, that the more junior fans (and some senior ones!) of our great club could possibly end up, at the end of the season, having seen the Albion in four divisions and seen us play against 100 different clubs. :albion2:

Some have already achieved this

You are correct about Everton, the other teams not be relegated from the top division since 1983 we have played in the cups

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

West Brom away in 1993 was a ****** for me. I think we were 1-0 up. Es ha Ness was winning the Grand National £20e/w at 50-1. Race cancelled. Brighton lost 3-1. Good first half not so good therein.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Think we played United in 1993 (FA Cup)

1234andcounting

Mar 31, 2008

Yes. Fourth round after beating #twats 1-0 at the Goldstone. If memory serves me correctly, Matty Edwards got the winner. Lost by the same score at Old Trafford and I think Ryan Giggs scored from a free kick with about 10 mins to go.

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
Yes. Fourth round after beating #twats 1-0 at the Goldstone. If memory serves me correctly, Matty Edwards got the winner. Lost by the same score at Old Trafford and I think Ryan Giggs scored from a free kick with about 10 mins to go.

In the game against #twats Mark Beeney pulled off one of the best saves I've ever seen live. Against United I think Malcolm Stuart proposed to his missus at half time.
She said no.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Lost by the same score at Old Trafford and I think Ryan Giggs scored from a free kick with about 10 mins to go.

I remember it well. Got the train back and went to find a house party in a block of flats somewhere in South London. I'd had a few beers on the train (obvs) and got completely lost staggering around some 'lovely' sarf London estates trying to find the party - and also completely drenched as it was absolutely bucketing it down. Eventually found the place but my mood was not helped by the fact that not only had we lost to a late goal, but I'd also lost my wallet. Miraculously, though, I received it through the post a few days later. It had been forwarded to me by BHA (who found my address in their membership records) by Manchester United. Some United fan had found it outside Old Trafford and handed it to a club official. It changed my opinion of their supporters a little bit (although the person who'd found it, had still taken all my money out of it!!!)

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill

My first ever Albion game at the age of 14. My uncle, a mancunian and utd supporter took me and my cousin to the game.

Had to sit in the home end though. Was about 10 seats from the dug outs in line with the bench. Got a few autographs too.

What surprised me was the slope of the pitch. It is domed to aid water run off and if you were in the first 5 rows if a player had the ball on the far touchline you couldn't see his legs from the knees down. Rather spoilt the game. Was a great free kick from Giggs though. The b*****d.

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
The home tie in the league cup against United was the first match I'd seen that felt like a big game.

Sure we'd had a bigger crowd for the home game against Crawley the season before (18,000) but United felt truly magical. Under the lights at Goldstone, think my cousin and I got to the ground when the gates opened so we could be in the West terrace towards the South Goal right up against the wall so we could get as close as possible to the action.

Didn't disappoint and can't wait for more of the same as a 37 year old this season.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Does playing the friendly against Chelsea in 2012 count

The only time we ever beat Chelsea (the only club we have played and never beaten in a proper game). No, it doesn't count.

Bring them on.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here