Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Enema advice

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Having a routine bowel cancer screening tomorrow and have to take an enema about an hour before I leave the house to clear my large bowel in order that the probe has an unobstructed view. I've never had an enema before so just wondered about the immediate after effects in order to avoid any unpleasantness, embarrassment or even mess.
My questions therefore for those experienced in such matters are:
Does the effect of taking it produce an explosive reaction and do you get any warning?
Is their any post evacuation "leakage" or "trickling".
Obviously I'm trying to avoid disgracing myself and am endeavouring to present as pristine a posterior as possible to the person carrying out the procedure out of concern for both my own dignity and consideration to the person doing the probing. Hopefully we can make the whole experience as pleasant as possible for all involved. Any advice would be appreciated.

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
It happens quick and without warning once it has been applied !

nigeyb

Oct 14, 2005
Hove
If it's the 55 yrs + free bowel cancer screening then it's pretty explosive. I seem to recall I had about 30 seconds before it worked. The advice they send you is very good though - just follow the guidance

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
If it's the 55 yrs + free bowel cancer screening then it's pretty explosive. I seem to recall I had about 30 seconds before it worked. The advice they send you is very good though - just follow the guidance

But do you get any post explosive leakage. The advice they send doesn't cover this area of concern. They recommend an hour before I leave the house but I think I'll do it two hours before to mitigate for any unexpected occurrences.

Sussexscots

Fed up with trains. Sick of the rain.
A flexible sigmoidoscopy. I assume you are versed in these matters.

Yup, had a FS myself five years ago. The examination only covers the the bowel as far as the splenic flexure -like a right angle bend in your lower bowel . Hospital will have provided you with the stuff to use. Follow their instructions and you won't have a problem. Probably told you to drink only clear liquids for twelve - twenty four hours before the procedure. After you have used the suppository at the time they say, you'll have a good clear out quite quickly, then another about ten minutes later. After that, I was fine to drive from home to Royal Sussex - about half an hour - without any problems or embarrassing accidents.

The most uncomfortable part of the procedure is that you lie on your left side and they pump you full of air to get a good view. You'll feel the need to fart like never before! Otherwise, it's straightforward.

Good luck.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Yup, had a FS myself five years ago. The examination only covers the the bowel as far as the splenic flexure -like a right angle bend in your lower bowel . Hospital will have provided you with the stuff to use. Follow their instructions and you won't have a problem. Probably told you to drink only clear liquids for twelve - twenty four hours before the procedure. After you have used the suppository at the time they say, you'll have a good clear out quite quickly, then another about ten minutes later. After that, I was fine to drive from home to Royal Sussex - about half an hour - without any problems or embarrassing accidents.

The most uncomfortable part of the procedure is that you lie on your left side and they pump you full of air to get a good view. You'll feel the need to fart like never before! Otherwise, it's straightforward.

Good luck.

They sent me a large liquid filled cylinder with a tube attached through the post so not a suppository as such. No mention of 12 or 24 hour abstinence as far as I can recall but I will check again just in case. I suppose it would be a wise precaution. Had to do that for a blood test last week.

Sussexscots

Fed up with trains. Sick of the rain.
They sent me a large liquid filled cylinder with a tube attached through the post so not a suppository as such. No mention of 12 or 24 hour abstinence as far as I can recall but I will check again just in case. I suppose it would be a wise precaution. Had to do that for a blood test last week.

Yes, worth checking as I was told that was a vital part of the process and if you are only taking clear soup or black tea/coffee, once the enema has done its work, your'e clear and there's nothing left to cause an accident. Bottle and a tube seems more complicated than a simple suppository though.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
bloody hell .....the one i took i had to take the first prep 24 hours before the procedure , takes about 3 hours before it kicks in from which point you are squirting lumpy gravy at high velocity at intervals of no more than 40 minutes.....by the time i got to the clinic i felt like a half deflated space hopper.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
.......if you are only taking clear soup or black tea/coffee ......
Bottle and a tube seems more complicated than a simple suppository though.
For the blood test I was limited to just water, I didn't realise black tea and coffee were options let alone a consomme. I'll have to look up a recipe. The pack I was sent through the post looks more like a diy colonic irrigation kit.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits

Good luck.

they knocked me out for mine

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I thought this was the thread about water pressure...

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton

THIS

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here