Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Depositing a large sum of Euros to a UK bank account

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
Hi Chaps

Just looking for a bit of advice. Shingle Junior is buying flat with his Spanish girlfriend and her dad has given her around €8500 in cash to help with a deposit. (all legit and above board)

Can she just deposit this into her UK bank account or will she get the 'spanish inquisition' as to where its come from. Are there any other another options to change such a large sum into sterling?

Cheers in advance.

Tokyohands

Jan 5, 2017
Tokyo
Whenever i've deposited large sums of money to my UK or other banks they usually ask the questions at the end i've deposited it from but the receiving bank might also make a nominal charge on it. A one-off deposit of 8500 euros is not likely to raise eyebrows and it should be on file from the Spanish end that it is for buying a property and as it's being sent from within the EU there shouldn't be any probs. The main point is she should ask her UK bank what their exchange rate will be for receiving and exchanging euros, if their rate is better than the Spanish bank for the transaction, then instruct the Spanish bank to send it to the UK bank as a euro amount and the UK bank will convert it for her.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
He should open an EUR account with his current bank if he doesn't want to get stung with conversions.

mylesfdo

Jan 25, 2015
Think £10k is the cut-off without having to fill out forms etc but will get stung on exchange rate!!

Best bet is to set up € account or if not and it in cash I would look at using a proper Exchange firm and try and get a Spot rate for the Exchange. City Forex in London is one that springs to mind but also there is a pretty good exchange place near Norfolk Square who if you pop in and see the guy may do a nicer rate for that amount.....used to be called Dasa or something but think changed name to Eurozone now(propb totally worng on both names here!!)

sant andreu

Dec 18, 2011
I've used Transferwise dot com for similar transfers. Significantly lower commission than anywhere else I've seen and pretty easy to use

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here