Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who will the next Tory leader

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
I think Jacob Rees Mogg would be brilliant for Brexit. So quintessentially British, so well spoken, so unflappable, would be so good in these showpiece negotiations soundbites. Bring on the Mogg.

A complete throwback to the 1930s.

The Tories have a huge problem and it's an image problem. Largely, they offer nothing of note to younger people and do not sell capitalism. On the other hand, you have Corbz who's telling me he'd give me the world if he could and that capitalism is failing me.

However, I have to deal with rising house prices and stagnant wages, significant national debt etc. I'm being told it's me who's gonna be paying for all this by the ones who benefitted from lower house prices and lower national debt. So as such, the idea that capitalism is failing me looks to be right.

Naturally, I'm centre-right; so the Tories are my natural party. But they need drastic modernising but ultimately they need to be able to sell capitalism as the best economic system. The tories need to reach out to the younger generation, needs more inspiration and drive behind it. It needs a young and energetic leader.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Great example of why thick people vote Tory

And the facts seem to prove otherwise. Sorry to piss on your chips but Labour has neither the moral nor the mental high ground. It appears that statistically, if you vote Labour then you're the thicky.

https://www.spectator.co.uk/2017/05...-or-voters-labour-is-now-the-stupidest-party/

A similar piece of research has recently been done into the link between intelligence and party preference in the 2015 general election, and the results are broadly the same. A PhD student at Nuffield called Noah Carl has used a different data set — the UK Household Longitudinal Survey — to calculate the mean IQ of voters in each of the UK’s 650 constituencies and then looked for patterns in the vote shares for different parties at the constituency level.

He found that there was a positive association between mean IQ and voting Conservative, and a negative association between mean IQ and voting Labour. So the higher the mean, the more likely the constituency was to return a Tory MP in 2015, and the lower the mean, the more likely it was to return a Labour one. Carl also found that the highest association between mean IQ and vote share was with the Lib Dems. All of which is consistent with the findings of Deary and his team. However, Carl also looked at the link between mean IQ and voting Ukip, and while that association was also negative, it wasn’t as negative as it was in Labour’s case. In other words, low intelligence was more strongly correlated with voting Labour in 2015 than it was with voting Ukip. Of the four main parties, Labour definitely attracted the least intelligent voters that year.

No doubt a similar piece of work will be done when the results of this general election are in, and the fact that the Conservatives will attract so many former Labour supporters may lower the average IQ of their voters. But it is unlikely to fall below that of Labour’s. Whether you measure a party’s intelligence by the IQ of its leaders or its voters, Labour is now the least intelligent party.

HH Brighton

Jul 25, 2003
And the facts seem to prove otherwise. Sorry to piss on your chips but Labour has neither the moral nor the mental high ground. It appears that statistically, if you vote Labour then you're the thicky.

https://www.spectator.co.uk/2017/05...-or-voters-labour-is-now-the-stupidest-party/

A similar piece of research has recently been done into the link between intelligence and party preference in the 2015 general election, and the results are broadly the same. A PhD student at Nuffield called Noah Carl has used a different data set — the UK Household Longitudinal Survey — to calculate the mean IQ of voters in each of the UK’s 650 constituencies and then looked for patterns in the vote shares for different parties at the constituency level.

He found that there was a positive association between mean IQ and voting Conservative, and a negative association between mean IQ and voting Labour. So the higher the mean, the more likely the constituency was to return a Tory MP in 2015, and the lower the mean, the more likely it was to return a Labour one. Carl also found that the highest association between mean IQ and vote share was with the Lib Dems. All of which is consistent with the findings of Deary and his team. However, Carl also looked at the link between mean IQ and voting Ukip, and while that association was also negative, it wasn’t as negative as it was in Labour’s case. In other words, low intelligence was more strongly correlated with voting Labour in 2015 than it was with voting Ukip. Of the four main parties, Labour definitely attracted the least intelligent voters that year.

No doubt a similar piece of work will be done when the results of this general election are in, and the fact that the Conservatives will attract so many former Labour supporters may lower the average IQ of their voters. But it is unlikely to fall below that of Labour’s. Whether you measure a party’s intelligence by the IQ of its leaders or its voters, Labour is now the least intelligent party.

I'm not sure what 'pissing on my chips' means but you couldn't have proved my point any better. You know who the author of your quote Toby Young is right? I'm sure you must do to quote this is as 'fact'. Typcial Conservative sound bite politics that attracts people like you.
I'm think I'm pretty safe up here on my moral high ground. Not sure about the 'mental' high ground though. Think you may edge that one.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I'm not sure what 'pissing on my chips' means but you couldn't have proved my point any better. You know who the author of your quote Toby Young is right? I'm sure you must do to quote this is as 'fact'. Typcial Conservative sound bite politics that attracts people like you.
I'm think I'm pretty safe up here on my moral high ground. Not sure about the 'mental' high ground though. Think you may edge that one.

Haha! Bloke you don't like quotes academic study therefore the study must be rubbish. And because I quote the article from the bloke you don't like who incidentally has a first from Oxford then I must therefore be thick.

Great logic. Really, really great. :thumbsup:

HH Brighton

Jul 25, 2003
Haha! Bloke you don't like quotes academic study therefore the study must be rubbish. And because I quote the article from the bloke you don't like who incidentally has a first from Oxford then I must therefore be thick.

Great logic. Really, really great. :thumbsup:

You're never going to get this mate but what can you do. Luckily it would seem the majority of the British public are no longer believing in the moronic right wing press that Toby Young represents. The Daily Mail and The Telegraph only seak to promote there own owners interests, they will be dead in the water in a few years as there readership gradually die off. Times are a changing where there are so many other ways of finding out the truth and not being spun a web of lies.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
You're never going to get this mate but what can you do. Luckily it would seem the majority of the British public are no longer believing in the moronic right wing press that Toby Young represents. The Daily Mail and The Telegraph only seak to promote there own owners interests, they will be dead in the water in a few years as there readership gradually die off. Times are a changing where there are so many other ways of finding out the truth and not being spun a web of lies.

You even mentioned Daily Mail in there, just for good measure. Brilliant!

You've got nothing to come back with except your own petty prejudices, the obligatory mention of the DM and a very strong belief that ad hominems are valid arguments. Oh, I get it alright. :thumbsup:

HH Brighton

Jul 25, 2003
You even mentioned Daily Mail in there, just for good measure. Brilliant!

You've got nothing to come back with except your own petty prejudices, the obligatory mention of the DM and a very strong belief that ad hominems are valid arguments. Oh, I get it alright. :thumbsup:

I mention the Daily Mail because that's who Toby Young sometimes writes for, you know the person you quoted to prove your 'fact'? I'll ask again, you do know who he is right and didn't just google 'who are the thick party' ?? Every post you make reinforces my original point.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I mention the Daily Mail because that's who Toby Young sometimes writes for, you know the person you quoted to prove your 'fact'? I'll ask again, you do know who he is right and didn't just google 'who are the thick party' ?? Every post you make reinforces my original point.

But we're talking about an academic study at a university that was mentioned in an article in The Spectator. Your refutation is simply "but this bloke who quotes the study writes for the Daily Mail therefore...you know....Daily Mail". That is frankly pathetic and it's an ad hominem. Google it sometime.

Sorry matey but I'm going to call your bluster out as nothing more than that. Just hot air and bluster. And for the record, I quoted the Spectator because I'm a subscriber and I remembered reading it. I'm clever like that.

Last edited:

Hugo Rune

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Underneath he is an unpleasant individual? And you know this how? I've no idea what he is like, I've never met him. Have you?

No, I've never met him and don't wish to. He reminds me of the Demon Headmaster.

My 'unpleasant individual' comment comes from three interview with JRM that the BBC played 'back to back' after May was elected leader.

In the first he backs Johnson to the hilt claiming he has always thought he was PM material, after the Bojo coup, he then throws his weight behind 'the brutus' Gove. Once Gove was out he was then back on our screens telling us May was the best candidate. These interviews were given in the space of a few weeks and show how desperate he was to get himself a top job. Clearly, he has no credibility left within the party as May wouldn't touch him with a barge poll. He'll say anything for a little bit of power, I find him repulsive.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Great example of why thick people vote Tory

???

D

Deleted member 2719

I think Jacob Rees Mogg would be brilliant for Brexit. So quintessentially British, so well spoken, so unflappable, would be so good in these showpiece negotiations soundbites. Bring on the Mogg.

This.
Mogg is a very likeable chap.

HH Brighton

Jul 25, 2003
But we're talking about an academic study at a university that was mentioned in an article in The Spectator. Your refutation is simply "but this bloke who quotes the study writes for the Daily Mail therefore...you know....Daily Mail". That is frankly pathetic and it's an ad hominem. Google it sometime.

Sorry matey but I'm going to call your bluster out as nothing more than that. Just hot air and bluster. And for the record, I quoted the Spectator because I'm a subscriber and I remembered reading it. I'm clever like that.

Ok you win, you've got me down to your level. Lets all do the google search for something that supports your beliefs. Coincidently your article comes up top in google but I'm sure you remember reading through your subscription as well..lol I'm sure you've probably also read this from the Daily Mail http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...conservative-politics-lead-people-racist.html and this from the Telegraph http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/new...930/Clever-children-vote-green-as-adults.html

Kaiser_Soze

Who is Kaiser Soze??
Apr 14, 2008
Tobias Ellwood

Unlikely. All the kudos he received from his role in the aftermath of the Westminster terrorist attack has been undone by his silence as his party emphatically supported the continued cap on police wages. A true Tory hypocrite.

HH Brighton

Jul 25, 2003
You've learnt about logical fallacies. Splendid. Now you're UP to my level.
Did you not enjoy the Daily Mail and Telegraph articles? It's great this google lark isn't it mate :lolol:

Now returning to the high ground with the good and selfless people, cheerio :thumbsup::bigwave:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here