Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Will any development squad players make the first team this season ?

brianwade

Jan 31, 2008
We have had years of fanfares for fresh young wannabees from all over Europe joining the development squad and lots of the Brighton youngsters get into that squad too . But there appears to be very little chance for them making the first team squad . This year we had Rob Hunt break through- who we've now sold and last year we let Harper go plus the tall Icelandic fellow and many others i'm sure . Now we've got Connolly , Tilley is doing well , the boy from Celtic is a good prospect - amongst others .

Why don't they get more of a chance ? And if they can't be given the chance then what's the point of this set up ?

Are any of the development squad training with the first team now ? does anyone know ? Any one think any of this years development squad will make it into the first team ? s there a gem hiding there that we haven't been told about ?

If they don't and there is no prospect of this happening then what is the point .... ?

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
I guess you try and sell some to lower leagues,to help pay some of the costs,some you let go ,some will break through......all in the hope that one day,just one day you unearth that gem !

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The most highly rated of our academy players seem to be a little young, to be hoping for too much this season. There are no 20 or 21 year olds knocking on the door, I don't think.

The best prospects are seemingly Molumby, Tilley and Connolly who are all only 17/18.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
No, I doubt it - we don't promote many from our youth set up (and yes, I have heard of Dunk, Forster-Caskey and March - but that's just three in eight years who have got a regular place in the team, and one of those has been moved on now). Plus, those who follow our junior teams far more assiduously than I, and who post on NSC, don't seem to think that any of the current crop are ready - although I guess Sanchez as number 3 GK is a possibility.
Maguire -Drew seems to have started well on his loan spell though, and I look forward to seeing just how good Connelly might turn out to be.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
In short no. they will play in the Checkatrade Trophy but I doubt any will even make the League Cup team this season, as I suspect we will play the first team reserves from the 25 man squad. A couple may make the bench but that will it.
In terms of the Premier League, we will go with experience for the whole season with no development squad player coming in, even in an injury crisis, as we will probably move experienced players to less familiar roles.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
The closest from what I've seen would probably be Henrik Bjordal, who I believe has just returned from a loan spell at IFK Goteborg in Sweden (13 games, 3 assists) although he's probably closer to the "5 minutes in a pointless end of season game" category than the genuinely knocking on the door category. He may even be off soon as I get the impression he's desperate for first team football. Ben Hall is perhaps the closest after that, although again, struggle to see him getting an opportunity.

Potential wise, Molumby stands out but unlikely to feature in the first team this season. Suspect he'll head out on loan at some point if not this this year then next.

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
I think we've got a decent bunch of youngsters coming through, just not at the age yet to make a breakthrough into the first team. However if that bunch (Hall, Kerr, Molumby, Sanchez, Connollu, Tilley, Davies, Bjordal) progress well then within 3 or 4 yrs they'll be in the first team picture

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
The most highly rated of our academy players seem to be a little young, to be hoping for too much this season. There are no 20 or 21 year olds knocking on the door, I don't think.

The best prospects are seemingly Molumby, Tilley and Connolly who are all only 17/18.

Connolly will be interesting in terms of whether he can maintain his bright start.

I really like Molumby as a player. Will Collar is not too bad, but seems to lack pace so expect to see him disappear towards the end of the season.

Even harder for the youngsters now we are PL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
The closest from what I've seen would probably be Henrik Bjordal, who I believe has just returned from a loan spell at IFK Goteborg in Sweden (13 games, 3 assists) although he's probably closer to the "5 minutes in a pointless end of season game" category than the genuinely knocking on the door category. He may even be off soon as I get the impression he's desperate for first team football. Ben Hall is perhaps the closest after that, although again, struggle to see him getting an opportunity.

Potential wise, Molumby stands out but unlikely to feature in the first team this season. Suspect he'll head out on loan at some point if not this this year then next.

Ben Hall is poor for me and indictment of the level of Scottish football given he was in the first team at Motherwell.

Not as good as Dallinson imo, who it seems, may also fall short.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here