Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O/T wireless doorbells - 3 push buttons - anyone?

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I spent a good 90 minutes trawling through Amazon yesterday looking for a wireless doorbell kit that meets the following spec to absolutely no avail (which staggered me, as I didn't think it was that onerous):

3 push buttons (or ability to add push buttons to a kit having only 1 or 2)
Decent waterproofing to push buttons (ideally IP 65, but would, at a push, go as low as 44)
Decent range - say 500' (plain air)

That's it. Don't care how many chime receivers I get; don't care whether the push buttons require batteries or not)

Has anyone got any recommendations please?

TIA

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I haven't got the details to hand, but I bought the 'highest customer ranked' wireless model from Amazon. It's been crap ever since - the outdoor button falls apart and the bell often doesn't ring.

I haven't got round to replacing the waste of money yet.

Please let me know how you get on with your chosen device in the end.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Got to ask - why 3 buttons ?

Front door, back door, patio doors. The layout of the house/garden is such that I get people arriving at each door on an almost equal basis!

I have thought it might be easier to put signs up pointing visitors to one door - the purchasing options then become considerably easier...

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Front door, back door, patio doors. The layout of the house/garden is such that I get people arriving at each door on an almost equal basis!

I have thought it might be easier to put signs up pointing visitors to one door - the purchasing options then become considerably easier...
Brothel?

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

:lol:

Plus a supply of these:
IMG_2180.JPG

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Decent range - say 500' (plain air)

how big is your house?

mind you i have a cheapoo one that that cant reach to the other side of the hallway.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven

Can I suggest some sort of fence to stop your visitors arriving at your back and patio doors. Do you seriously have visitors knocking on your patio door?

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex

If the buttons are all on one system how do you know which door they are at?
why dont you just buy 2 kits with 2 push buttons, then you will always have a spare button. Or 3 kits of one button.
Then you can have a different ring tone for each door and decide if you want to answer it.

personally i dont like people arriving at my back door unannounced

VAL1850

Nov 22, 2008
Beachy Head & WSU
Don't bother buying a Uni-Com model - utter crap . Keeps loosing signal and when does work can only hear it if in same room as receiver/bell

Also why are the ones that ring to your phone so expensive @ £200 - surely simple technology ??

Bring back the good old electro / mechanical types

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
how big is your house?

mind you i have a cheapoo one that that cant reach to the other side of the hallway.

Your experience is why the plain air range needs to be decent... generally, one needs to allow a 10x reduction from plain air range to take account of walls...

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Can I suggest some sort of fence to stop your visitors arriving at your back and patio doors. Do you seriously have visitors knocking on your patio door?

It's a corner plot. Front door lies off a path off one road. The drive, and associated gate, lies on the perpendicular road, which is the road that the house officially is located on. So, some people come to the main front door (on the "wrong" road), others find the drive, come in through the gate, and then have a choice of two paths - one to the back door (around the corner, out of sight), the other to the patio doors - in sight...

So, yep, I get quite a few people knocking on the patio doors... :nono:

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I haven't got the details to hand, but I bought the 'highest customer ranked' wireless model from Amazon. It's been crap ever since - the outdoor button falls apart and the bell often doesn't ring.

I haven't got round to replacing the waste of money yet.

Please let me know how you get on with your chosen device in the end.

We had a similar one, pull it off about two years ago and just let people knock on the front door

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
If the buttons are all on one system how do you know which door they are at?
why dont you just buy 2 kits with 2 push buttons, then you will always have a spare button. Or 3 kits of one button.
Then you can have a different ring tone for each door and decide if you want to answer it.

personally i dont like people arriving at my back door unannounced

Many chime units have multiple choices of sound (up to 50, I discovered); you can programme each push button to deliver a different sound (I don't really want three chime units...)

At a push, your solution of 2x2 button systems would work though...

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
Ah, when you said three bells, I was thinking

68393644bf02fb006df81a55993dde90--door-entry-entrance.jpg

I bought a wireless one a few years ago but gave up when it would go off for no reason (normally at 3 a.m. )

But I can see that unwelcome guests at you rear entrance can be a problem.

Last edited:

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
It's a corner plot. Front door lies off a path off one road. The drive, and associated gate, lies on the perpendicular road, which is the road that the house officially is located on. So, some people come to the main front door (on the "wrong" road), others find the drive, come in through the gate, and then have a choice of two paths - one to the back door (around the corner, out of sight), the other to the patio doors - in sight...

So, yep, I get quite a few people knocking on the patio doors... :nono:

I see, I have been recently working in a corner house and all visitors seemed to come to the back/side door that is nearer to the drive than the front door.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here