Goodbye to "Ladies and Gentleman"

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
The world's gone mad.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-40591750

The "ladies and gentlemen" greeting on Tube announcements is to be scrapped, Transport for London (TfL) has announced.
London Underground staff have been told to say "hello everyone" in an effort to become more gender-neutral.
TfL said the move was to ensure all passengers felt "welcome".
LGBT campaign group Stonewall welcomed the decision, which was supported by London mayor Sadiq Khan at a session of Mayor's Question Time last month.
The revised phrasing will be applied to all new pre-recorded announcements made across the capital's transport network.
Mark Evers, director of customer strategy at TfL, said: "We want everyone to feel welcome on our transport network.
"We have reviewed the language that we use in announcements and elsewhere and will make sure that it is fully inclusive, reflecting the great diversity of London."

London Mayor Sadiq Khan said he supported the change to gender neutral language
Mr Khan said he was "keen" TfL speak in a "more neutral way".
He said: "TfL serves a vibrant, diverse and multicultural city, and provision of an inclusive transport service is at the heart of TfL's purpose.
"I am aware however, that some customers may not relate to or feel comfortable with the way that certain station announcements are made."
TfL said it had briefed staff on use of the new language "though from time-to-time, well-meaning staff may still use the term 'ladies and gentlemen"."
"If this happens frequently, we will issue reminders to staff," it added.
Stonewall said: "Language is extremely important to the lesbian, gay, bi and trans community, and the way we use it can help ensure all people feel included.
"We welcome gender neutral announcements to be rolled out across TfL as it will ensure that everyone - no matter who they identify as - feels accounted for."

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Bing,Bong,Bong 'Hello campers,hi-de-hi' said in a gender,and regional accentless,neutral manner.'There's a strike on today,so feck off'.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Ding dong, greetings peasants!

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
What next, announcements are a problem because they wrongly assume that everyone can hear. This is discriminating against the deaf.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
:shrug: I usually have headphones in anyway.

That said ... I was stuck on the central line bank platform the other day during heavy delays and I'd left my headphones at work, and they must've played the same clip of Alan Titchmarsh over the speakers about 50 times within a space of 15 minutes. I'm surprised nobody jumped.

Sussexscots

Fed up with trains. Sick of the rain.
I'd prefer they made announcement that said, Hello. Regardless of your race, creed,colour, religion, vanity, sexual identity, ego, take off your effin' backpack on a crowded tube.

el punal

This has got to be the most pathetic attempt at being "politically correct" ever. Why not just announce "Ladies and gentlemen and in-betweenies" FFS!!

Really, what complete and utter tw*t thought up this shit, and what complete and tw*ts agreed to it. :rant:

P.S. It's not April 1st, is it?

el punal

So while in my rant mode, surely "Ladies and gentlemen" covers all the bases doesn't it? I mean you may be a lady trapped in a gentleman's body, or vice versa. What you're not going to be is a Martian with two willies . . . . are you? ???

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here