Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

OT: Burglary Damage in Rented Flat: Who Pays?

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
The flat we rent was broken into and in the process the front door lock was broken. This cost £100 to fix. We had to pay this as we had to get in a locksmith to fix the door on the evening of the burglary.

Now the landlord is saying that they aren't liable for this cost as burglary damage is the tenant's responsibility.

Is this correct?

Shelter suggests it's usually the landlord's responsibility, what does usually mean?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
the insurer.

i'd expect the landlord has buildings insurance (likely compulsory if they have a mortgage), while tenant may or may not be expected to have content insurance. as a door is part of the building, and probably less than the excess, i'd expect the landlord to cover.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
the insurer.

i'd expect the landlord has buildings insurance (likely compulsory if they have a mortgage), while tenant may or may not be expected to have content insurance. as a door is part of the building i'd expect them to cover.

This ...... BUT it might also depend on what your tenancy agreement says.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
A lot (no not all) of Landlords in Brighton really are scum aren't they? Surely it's in their interest to have the property secured?

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
This ...... BUT it might also depend on what your tenancy agreement says.

The most pertinent bit I can find is this:

"Section F: Additional terms between the landlord and tenant 1. As a condition of entering into this Tenancy Agreement the Tenant shall: Obtain and maintain a policy of insurance to provide a suitable level of cover for accidental damage to the landlord’s contents, furniture, fixtures and fittings at the property as described in the attached inventory; and upon request provide the Agent with a copy of the insurance certificate and consent to divulge any notice of cancellation. The Tenant should note that the Landlords insurance policy will not cover the Tenants personal possessions."

We have contents insurance, we might be able to claim for the locks on that actually, but I can't see anything in the agreement who pays for burglary/criminal damage to the building itself.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
A lot (no not all) of Landlords in Brighton really are scum aren't they? Surely it's in their interest to have the property secured?

It does seem like it. If they are liable and we are being told that it is actually us, then that's pretty out of order.

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
Shirely insurance, provided you did everything you could to prevent break-ins, such as locking your doors and securing windows. It's pretty scummy to make you pay for something that, by presuming you did the former; that you could not have prevented.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

"Section F: Additional terms between the landlord and tenant 1. As a condition of entering into this Tenancy Agreement the Tenant shall: Obtain and maintain a policy of insurance to provide a suitable level of cover for accidental damage to the landlord’s contents, furniture, fixtures and fittings at the property as described in the attached inventory; and upon request provide the Agent with a copy of the insurance certificate and consent to divulge any notice of cancellation. The Tenant should note that the Landlords insurance policy will not cover the Tenants personal possessions."

We have contents insurance, we might be able to claim for the locks on that actually, but I can't see anything in the agreement who pays for burglary/criminal damage to the building itself.

Buildings insurance, which includes the door is the landlord's responsibility.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003

Hmmm .... vague then. I'm not sure anyone would class burglary damage as accidental. That said, if you handed the property back with that damage I'm pretty sure it would be deducted from your deposit - not that I'm defending that.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
In the last place I rented, my key snapped off in the lock, called landlord and he called a locksmith, whilst waiting I managed to get the key out with some pliers and a bit of wiggling, called the locksmith off.
However said landlord tried to charge me for a locksmith call out, around £75, I said no chance as I saved him money in the long run! It was the principle, plus was paying him nearly 2 grand a month. He let me off.

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Fourteenth Eye

Face for Radio
Jul 9, 2004
Brighton
If it was only £100 to repair I suspect that is lower that the policy excess.

The landlord is responsible for the buildings insurance (this includes the door)

Presumably you pay maintenance as well so the repair to the door should come out of this

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
In the last place I rented, my key snapped off in the lock, called landlord and he called a locksmith, whilst waiting I managed to get the key out with some pliers and a bit of wiggling, called the locksmith off.
However said landlord tried to charge me for a locksmith call out, around £75, I said no chance as I saved him money in the long run! It was the principle, plus was paying him nearly 2 grand a month. He let me off.

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Bloody hell ..... where the f**k did you live that cost nearly £2k a month in rent ????

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

The landlord is responsible for the buildings insurance (this includes the door)

Presumably you pay maintenance as well so the repair to the door should come out of this

The right answer is your first line. Had the repair not been carried out then I suspect the landlord may have got the repair done but wouldn't be able to claim as it is likely, as you say, to be below his excess. As the work is done, he probable thinks by denying it the amount won't be pursued!!!

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle

You will only pay maintenance if you are a leaseholder and not a tenant.

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
Jesus. The landlord clearly pays this. It is not contents. You already pay the landlord rent so tell him that you would like that money back. If not I'd simply reduce my rent payment for one month.

When they inevitably try to deduct from the deposit, you file with the deposit protection scheme, he hasn't got a hope of winning that and it's a really easy process. I had a landlord that tried to charge me for redecorating the communal areas. Fair enough, it had been re-painted a couple of weeks before I was moving out. Inevitably the movers marked the walls, I offered to pay for them to be touched up (decorator was still working on other floors of the building). But instead of the £50 or so for a few minutes work, he tried to charge £750!. I'd taken photos of the marks (about ten, most of which could be wiped off). No damage, just re-painting at the absolute worse. Communal areas weren't in the contract anyway.

He kept the deposit, I complained, he got £50 as I'd originally offered that. Note that during this time I still had the flat for theee weeks - just wasn't living there. They didn't actually re-paint any of it.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

The Landlord may wish to have buildings insurance but doesn't have to.

I'd pay for the new lock, if the Landlord, but I'm not scum.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here