Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Swordsman (not a euphemism) in Worthing

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Armed police have cordoned off a road in Durrington after a man was discovered in a garden with a sword, police have said. Police have confirmed they were called to reports of a domestic incident at a house in Rochester Close, Durrington, shortly after midday today (Wednesday, July 12).

Officers attended and a man was discovered in the garden in possession of a sword, a police spokesman said.

A police cordon has been put in place to contain the area and to ensure the welfare of members of the public, according to the spokesman, who said added officers were attempting to negotiate with the man and the incident is ongoing.

And if you've got nothing better to do right now, a neighbour is live streaming the standoff: https://www.facebook.com/june.roberts.31/videos/vb.100001511989352/1495689790491406/?type=3&theater

http://www.worthingherald.co.uk/new...durrington-road-over-sword-incident-1-8052883

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
It's compelling viewing. Not so much for the standoff which is dull, but for the ongoing commentary, the highlight of which has to be the person streaming it using this opportunity to try and arrange some sort of house swap.

I'm not sure the time when a man where a sword is barricaded in over the road is the best time to try and get someone else to want to live in your house...

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Is that way the police helicopter was over Goring way until recently? Calling [MENTION=249]edna krabappel[/MENTION]

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
'facades' himself in his house?

FFS

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
Facebook live person now threatened with arrest if she continues to film.

Interesting legal point this as to whether they can really do this.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003

In this particular situation, I'd suggest yes, because it might hinder their ability to deal with him if he's able to view what's going on outside.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

I thought it stopped an hour or more back.

Or did she go private? Is she a friend of yours?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

On what grounds? She is on her own property, not in a public place - I'd have thought she has every right to do what she wants with here camcorder/phone or whatever.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
On what grounds? She is on her own property, not in a public place - I'd have thought she has every right to do what she wants with here camcorder/phone or whatever.

Well yes she does. But she's putting it on a public forum. If a person in the drawn out process of speaking to a police negotiator goes and cuts their own throat because of something they've seen on Facebook, it's not ideal, is it?

It's not a clear cut one for me, but I can certainly see why they'd be quite reasonable in asking her politely not to do it.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Well yes she does. But she's putting it on a public forum. If a person in the drawn out process of speaking to a police negotiator goes and cuts their own throat because of something they've seen on Facebook, it's not ideal, is it?

It's not a clear cut one for me, but I can certainly see why they'd be quite reasonable in asking her politely not to do it.
Saw your earlier reply after I'd posted. Your reasoning is plausible, I guess - although I don't see how watching it on Facebook is going to make him act any differently than watching out of his window.
As you say, not entirely clear cut - but I do hope they went down the polite explanation route rather than the heavy-handed approach (which inevitably will lead some to the conclusion that they might do something they shouldn't and don't want it filmed!)

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing

In the US of course it is common for the news channels to live stream ongoing situations. It could conceivably save lives by keeping the public away from dangerous situations

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
I thought it stopped an hour or more back.

Or did she go private? Is she a friend of yours?

She tried again and was then asked to stop. Nope not a Facebook friend, someone shared a link.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
In the US of course it is common for the news channels to live stream ongoing situations. It could conceivably save lives by keeping the public away from dangerous situations
Americans are generally idiots.

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Not sure what the issue was - looks like he was just considering how to make some adjustments to the trampoline net.

Screen Shot 2017-07-12 at 22.00.18.png

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne

Threatened with arrest is hardly polite now is it?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here