Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Too Good To Go

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Anyone used this app yet?

I might be a bit late to the party, but for those that haven't heard of it, the premise if that restaurants and the like generally have food left over at the end of the day and rather than throw it in a bin, they sell it off at a massive discount to those that commit to buy it via an app at a fixed price at a certain time of the day.

Not much going on in Worthing yet, but there is a fair bit in Brighton.

Examples:

Moshimo: £3.80 for £14+ worth of sushi and other stuff
Curry Leaf Cafe (Station kiosk): £3.50 for £7.50 worth of their stuff
Small Batch Coffee: £2.50 for a £7-8 worth selection of pastries, muffins, rolls, sandwiches, cakes, biscuits etc

Great idea, anyway.

iOS: https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/too-good-to-go/id1060683933?mt=8
Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.app.tgtg&hl=en_GB

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
What time do these tend to go? don't really fancy trekking out at 10pm for some left over food.

Each deal gives you a fixed time.

A lot of the sandwich bars and cafes have afternoon timeslots. Moshimo have two, for today at least: evening (17:00 - 18:00) and night (22:00 - 22:30).

It looks like most places on there now have default "we'll make you up a selection of what we have left" options. I guess later in the day they may become more specific based on what they know they have left.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Have found an Italian place a mile or less from my work. That means that if a summer do began, at midday as they sometimes do, that I could have a drinks and then contact this place to buy some leftover meatballs, a food stuff on their list. I'd love a big bag of cut-price steaming meatballs whilst on the lash.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Great idea, if only supermarkets did it!

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Great idea, if only supermarkets did it!

Wasn't there some legal threat that stopped supermarkets giving there just out-of-date food to shelters and the like? I'm sure they used to do it but had to stop.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Wasn't there some legal threat that stopped supermarkets giving there just out-of-date food to shelters and the like? I'm sure they used to do it but had to stop.
Hmm dunno, I'm sure there's still a hell of a lot of wastage going on behind closed doors

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
Anyone used this app yet?

I might be a bit late to the party, but for those that haven't heard of it, the premise if that restaurants and the like generally have food left over at the end of the day and rather than throw it in a bin, they sell it off at a massive discount to those that commit to buy it via an app at a fixed price at a certain time of the day.

Not much going on in Worthing yet, but there is a fair bit in Brighton.

Examples:

Moshimo: £3.80 for £14+ worth of sushi and other stuff
Curry Leaf Cafe (Station kiosk): £3.50 for £7.50 worth of their stuff
Small Batch Coffee: £2.50 for a £7-8 worth selection of pastries, muffins, rolls, sandwiches, cakes, biscuits etc

Great idea, anyway.

iOS: https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/too-good-to-go/id1060683933?mt=8
Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.app.tgtg&hl=en_GB

It is a great idea. My experience though was that I ordered twice on it and both times when I went to pick up the food there was nothing left, wasted trip and on 2nd occasion they didn't even refund me and I had to go back to have a word about it.

The experience of the two wasted trips made me delete the App which is a shame because I love the idea and I'm sure other ppl have had better luck with it

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
It is a great idea. My experience though was that I ordered twice on it and both times when I went to pick up the food there was nothing left, wasted trip and on 2nd occasion they didn't even refund me and I had to go back to have a word about it.

The experience of the two wasted trips made me delete the App which is a shame because I love the idea and I'm sure other ppl have had better luck with it

I could see that would be very annoying.

There seems little need for it to happen either. From my 2 minutes looking at their site today, merchants have the functionality to hit a "we've sold out" button on their version of the app which will both trigger a message and a refund to those who had bought.

The app won't last long if they keep ****ing people around like you have been.

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
I could see that would be very annoying.

There seems little need for it to happen either. From my 2 minutes looking at their site today, merchants have the functionality to hit a "we've sold out" button on their version of the app which will both trigger a message and a refund to those who had bought.

The app won't last long if they keep ****ing people around like you have been.

Yes they have that option and to be fair the 2nd occasion when I didn't even get my refund, they were super good about it and I got my refund and some food but it's the wasted time that irked me when like you say, they can manage the availability.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here