Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jo Konta - the 'British' thing

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I can categorically declare that statement complete nonsense. Regardless of which of the nation's three official languages is their 'first' (they pretty much all speak all three - and English - anyway)

Off topic a bit but this reminded me of the time I stayed in a hotel in Geneva. The Swiss guy in front of me was checking out and speaking Schweizerdeutsch - which the hotel reception clerk didn't understand, he insisted in speaking French, which the guest couldn't (wouldn't) speak - this went on for some time before business was eventually concluded in English. So, don't assume that all Swiss will automatically speak another Swiss language.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
I just noticed that neither of them were wearing bras in the part of the match I saw last night, so you know where my attention was.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Konta just bottled it again, this time at Eastbourne. Time to call it a day and go down the route of all the long and undistinguished other UK tennis duds ie commentator or adverts?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Konta just bottled it again, this time at Eastbourne. Time to call it a day and go down the route of all the long and undistinguished other UK tennis duds ie commentator or adverts?

She's only 28. FFS. :shrug:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

Useless Australian Konta

What're you on about? We are about to take back control with a strong leader like Boris Johnson at the helm. Things have never been better and personally I'm absolutely gutted that I live 1000 miles away and can't drink in the cheer of regaining sovereignty every day.

Maybe the Spanish will deport you after BREXIT and you will get what you want along with the other idiots.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
What're you on about? We are about to take back control with a strong leader like Boris Johnson at the helm. Things have never been better and personally I'm absolutely gutted that I live 1000 miles away and can't drink in the cheer of regaining sovereignty every day.

Very drole :rolleyes:

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Into the QF of the US Open, after beating Karolina Pliskova in 3 sets. [emoji106]

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Thing is he moved to Canada at the age of 12 so not British.

Konte moved to Britain at the age of 14 so not British!??

Or just a stick for the journalists to beat them with.

Lewis is black so he's not British.

Konte has a foreign name so she's not British.

Simple. :shrug:

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Into the QF of the US Open, after beating Karolina Pliskova in 3 sets. [emoji106]

#3 seed and one of the favourites for the tournament. It was an excellent performance from what I can gather from the commentary, I came in for set 3 and she was very solid. Crucial break of serve at 5-5 and then saved a break point in the 12th game of the set to take out the match 7-5 in the 3rd. Marvellous victory, she's British all right at the moment. :thumbsup:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Yes, top work. First British woman to reach this stage since Jo Durie (who was, apparently, sister of Ian, and daughter of Juke Box).

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
About as British as Men at Work, H! Can’t you hear, can't you hear that thunder? You’d better run, you’d better take cover.

Neither at work nor, strictly speaking, men. :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here