Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is this allowed?

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Thought it was a joke but I fear not. Just imagine the uproar if....

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
I guess it's positive discrimination to try and correct an imbalance in the profile of the production company's workforce.
It must be legal, but is also the very reason we have so many white South Africans in the UK due to their lack of work opportunities in SA.

jaghebby

Mar 18, 2013
When you consider that figures from the 2011 British Census and Creative Skillset’s 2012 Employment Census showed that the UK was 14% non-white, London’s population was made up of over 40% black, Asian, ethnic minorities (BAME) yet BAME representation across the creative industries had fallen to a stark 5.4%. I really don't have a problem with it!

jaghebby

Mar 18, 2013
hate this sort of stuff. Best person for the job gets it regardless of your ethnic origin.

I think that's the problem too often the best person doesn't get the job because of the colour of their skin!

Last edited:

jaghebby

Mar 18, 2013
From a recent House of Commons library report "The UK unemployment rate (the proportion of the economically active population who are unemployed) was 5% in January 2017- March 2017. The unemployment rate was 4.1% for white people compared to 7.9% for people from a BAME (Black, Asian, and Minority Ethnic) background" So if there wasn't a problem wouldn't there be no difference between the rates?

Rod Marsh

Aug 9, 2013
Sussex
And your evidence for that is?

There is no evidence in these reports that confirm that the roles didn't go to the person that deserved it the most. They are unaware of the total pool of people who applied for each role. In fact quota's/targets in each company might have actually hindered the people in the minority groups getting an interview!

Rod Marsh

Aug 9, 2013
Sussex
From a recent House of Commons library report "The UK unemployment rate (the proportion of the economically active population who are unemployed) was 5% in January 2017- March 2017. The unemployment rate was 4.1% for white people compared to 7.9% for people from a BAME (Black, Asian, and Minority Ethnic) background" So if there wasn't a problem wouldn't there be no difference between the rates?

More to the point, why do you think that the unemployment rate for each group of people should be the same?

jaghebby

Mar 18, 2013
More to the point, why do you think that the unemployment rate for each group of people should be the same?

Because if there isn't discrimination they should be the same! So clearly from your comments you seem to be suggesting that you are entirely happy with discrimination?

Rod Marsh

Aug 9, 2013
Sussex
Because if there isn't discrimination they should be the same! So clearly from your comments you seem to be suggesting that you are entirely happy with discrimination?

Absolute nonsense. Inequality of outcome is does not mean that any inequity has taken place. For example, nursing (91% women), Elementary and secondary school teachers (81% women) HR (69% women) Accountancy and Advertising (60% women). Does this mean that men are discriminated against for these roles? No. The NBA is 80%+ Black Men. Does this mean white men are discriminated against? No it doesn't.

I'm against all discrimination.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
There is no evidence in these reports that confirm that the roles didn't go to the person that deserved it the most. They are unaware of the total pool of people who applied for each role. In fact quota's/targets in each company might have actually hindered the people in the minority groups getting an interview!

I like that you just quoted yourself rather than responding to actual examples of discrimination in job applications based on race.

jaghebby

Mar 18, 2013
Absolute nonsense. Inequality of outcome is does not mean that any inequity has taken place. For example, nursing (91% women), Elementary and secondary school teachers (81% women) HR (69% women) Accountancy and Advertising (60% women). Does this mean that men are discriminated against for these roles? No. The NBA is 80%+ Black Men. Does this mean white men are discriminated against? No it doesn't.

I'm against all discrimination.

Yes of course you are - it just seems that your comments don't really support this!

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
hate this sort of stuff. Best person for the job gets it regardless of your ethnic origin.

Agree, when I worked for The Met I could never understand why there was a black officers association - I wonder what would be said about a white officers association.
Drive racism out of all walks of life but don't promote it by positive discrimination or you provoke idiots like Fred..

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here