Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

LinkedIn

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Hey guys any LinkedIn experts on here? (I know you shouldnt need to be an expert!)

1st question is are contacts (network connections) stored locally or remotely/cloud. I fear I have royally screwed mine up and everything is gone. LinkedIn support are taking days and days to get back to me

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Hey guys any LinkedIn experts on here? (I know you shouldnt need to be an expert!)

1st question is are contacts (network connections) stored locally or remotely/cloud. I fear I have royally screwed mine up and everything is gone. LinkedIn support are taking days and days to get back to me

All cloud / LinkedIn servers, nothing local.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Correct. You are not in control of your data!!

Actually, given the legal frameworks in place, you are. You just need to know what your rights are and how to exercise them. Data protection law is pretty robust, and it's due to get even stronger (in favour of the average Jo(e)) soon. GDPR law comes into force May next year.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Oh bugger
I had to do a Windows 10 restore so have the Windows.old folder
I synced an new device and everything vanished. I dont have a backup and LinkedIn arent helping at all. I read which seemed weird that passwords and emails are not uniquily paired. This bought my contacts back on the new smart phone but not my laptop which is where I need them primarily. So I did factory reset on the smart phone stupidly in hind site then they are gone from both devices. 300-400 business contacts seem to be untreavable now unless Linked in keep backups for a couple of weeks. I think I am ****ed though :(

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
I think you're barking up the wrong tree. You should be able to log in to your LinkedIn profile on any device in the world and you will have all of your contacts in there.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Actually, given the legal frameworks in place, you are. You just need to know what your rights are and how to exercise them. Data protection law is pretty robust, and it's due to get even stronger (in favour of the average Jo(e)) soon. GDPR law comes into force May next year.

theoretically you are in control but let's see how many firms are ready for/comply with GDPR.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Well they had better be. 2% of global revenue as a fine if they get breached and aren't compliant is an eye-opener

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I've heard that a number of large firms are considering submitting a declaration of non-compliance specifying why they will be non compliant from May and why the Regulator can be confident that the data is secure (even though there is no longer a requirement to hold it), eg de commissioning a legacy system to make the data inaccessible without actually deleting all the data, backed up data, etc. I'd like to see the Regulator try and impose the 2% fine - a nice little earner!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here