Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

OT: Is this Brighton?

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
This was taken in the early 1930s. Without getting into a long discussion of "Brighton vs Palace pier", is it definitely Brighton? Other old shots always seem to show it from the other side. If not Brighton, where?

HM0155.jpg

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Yes, definitely, as it has the finials on the roof at the rear to echo those on the pavilion, and the glitter ball in the centre. Both of which are still there. Here's another showing the domes/finials:

38f2482c8182e51177ebd5739ad939f9.jpg

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
Yes, definitely, as it has the finials on the roof at the rear to echo those on the pavilion, and the glitter ball in the centre. Both of which are still there. Here's another showing the domes/finials:

38f2482c8182e51177ebd5739ad939f9.jpg
Well, that's clearly not Brighton. Where's the Donut at the end of the jetty?

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
That's it, all right. The owners got permission to dismantle the listed pavilion and theatre at the far end in the photo and put up a 'temporary' cheap dome and amusements while they restored it. Then one day they went to the warehouse where it was stored and, blimey, someone had nicked it (yes, an entire theatre in kit form). No, of course nobody believed them, but the authorities did bugger all about it and the far end is still an unsightly mess of money-making rides.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Thanks everyone. I was pretty sure, but couldn't find a photo that pulled together all the visible features.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here