Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Putting Pets Down.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Yesterday evening we had Roxy, our Border Collie put down.
She was about 12 and a half years old and had lived outdoors all her life.
Kept her indoors a couple of times in the past when she was ill, but she used to go crazy so had to stay outdoors.
Her back legs had gone and she couldn't really walk, she hadn't eaten for 3 days, drank loads of water then brought it straight back up again with lots of yellow stuff in it.
She was in a bad way.
The vet came to our house and agreed with what should be done.
We made her comfortable and the vet gave her a sedative which very gradually put her to sleep.
Whilst she was going to sleep we all paid our respects and stoked her etc. then the vet gave her the lethal injection, though she was already out by then.
I originally got her for the kids and apart from walking her on occasion didn't really pay much attention, as I'm not a pet sort of person, she was pretty good at playing football though.
She grew up with the kids, as they were in their very early teens when I got her and they are really upset, especially my son.
She used to always follow me around, I was head of the house and I expect she new that.
Never thought I was attached till this happened, 4 days ago she was going about her business as usual, a bit slower because of her age and then crash.
She stared at me with 'what's wrong with me' eyes, I had to make the decision, didn't want to be selfish and prolong the inevitable, quality of life etc.
When she was gone I wrapped her in her favourite blanket and put her on a bench in my shed overnight, as it was too late and dark to do anything else.
This morning I dug a 4ft deep hole at her favourite sleeping place and buried her in her favourite blanket with her favourite toys.
I find myself quite upset, though I still had to go to work and I realise that even though I didn't pay too much attention to her, she definitely had an impact on me.
She had a lovely temperament and was always pleased to see anyone, even tried to drag herself to come meet me when I got home yesterday after work.
Never thought I'd admit it, but I'm glad I got her as she was really no trouble at all.
Won't be getting another because once is really enough for me.
Don't really know why I put this on here, maybe it helps.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
Sorry mate that's a shit thing to have go through. had to have my cat put down last year and it still hurts to think about him. I knew it was the right thing to do but it doesn't make losing a member of the family any easier

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Two of the saddest days of my life, when we lost our cat then a couple of years later one of the dogs.
Both buried in our garden now, but don't underestimate the level of grief, it really did upset me, Cassie (dog) was ill but Tammy our cat died as a result of a fight with a Fox, something which does stick in the throat when the Tree Huggers start banging on about how hard done by foxes are.

albionalbino

Nov 1, 2009
West Sussex
I've had pets die and put down and understand the sorrow you're going through. They do become like family members and the loss is very hard to take. I had my last cat die at the ripe old age of 18 around 4 years ago and decided I wouldn't get another as the pain was too bad. I'm now just on the verge of getting a dog.
Because you love them so much it hurts when they go, but think of all the joy and companionship they bring and it far out ways the negatives.
Take a little time to grieve then make a decision to get another one when you're ready. You sound like a good, responsible pet owner and sure you could offer another animal a good home.
Time will heal as it does with all of life's downs.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Pets are part of the family, so it's natural to grieve when they go. You gave your dog a good life which she really enjoyed. Take comfort in that.

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
Our Lab had to be put to sleep end of last year as his back legs had gone as well
One of the hardest things I've ever had to do
It still upsets me now thinking about it
We had him for 8 years as he was a rescue dog and was about 4 when the people before us dumped him

WonderingSoton

Dec 3, 2014
Sorry to hear this Mike.
One of the saddest days of my life was having the family collie/alsatian cross of 11 years put down. Dogs are such characters and personalities who leave a real mark on a family.

Alba Badger

Mar 14, 2016
Straight outta Felpham
Had me in tears reading that. We have a lab collie mix and she's the center of the family, always in the middle of almost every activity. Not sure how I'd cope with her going as she's my first dog.

Time heals all and you will feel better. Rip Roxy.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Sorry to hear that. Always an awful decision to have to make, even when you know it's the right one. Definitely part of the family.

We have this thread regularly on NSC, but it’s always the one that I never even get slightly irked at its reoccurrence.

If it helps to write it down and share then you should, and don’t feel in anyway awkward doing so.

No doubt somebody will be along shortly to tell you it was only a dog, or probably already have by the time I’ve written this and posted it but that only shows how empty some of their lives have been without a family pet.

RIP Roxy.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Cried like I haven't cried before when my dog was put down 7 years ago. It's their unconditional (cupboard!) love and companionship that makes us so attached to them. Got another one now (he's approaching 7) and I dread the inevitable day when the time is right to say goodbye. Fortunately, when pets have had enough our society allows us to end their suffering with dignity.

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
I feel for you Mike. I went through the same situation in January of last year. My dog, although getting on was still quite active. Her illness that took her was untreatable and when I carried her into the vets to have her put to sleep it broke my heart and I may have been 46 years old at the time but I cried like I was a 2 year old. Still think of her every day. Buried her ashes behind a bench we used to both sit up on the Downs and can see the bench from my kitchen.

Saltydog

Aug 29, 2011
Ocean Wave
One of the worst things about having a furry friend. Even having to selflessly make this call for them does not make it any easier. Just take solace that you made the best decision for the right reasons.

Salty.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here