Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Travel - Bologna

Napier's Knee

Mar 23, 2014
West Sussex
Off to Bologna next week on holiday. First time there so any do/don't recommendations from the great and good of NSC would be appreciated - thanks

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
One of the best places in the world. Eat loads of pizza, go to the museums and parks. Best bit is definitely Bologna's stadium, though - you can walk right in, loads of ultras art all around the walkways, huge open-air stands with spectacular floodlights and views. One of the stands has a castle right in the middle of it. Also where Platt scored in Italia '90 - you could conceivably do a Phoenix from the Flames. Then have posh cake for less than a Euro in one of the cafes on the way back into town. Hope you have a marvellous time

Simontheseagull

Eye from the sky
Jul 11, 2010
The Amex
Visited Bologna for the first time 4 months ago. Stayed for a week and used it to include 3 cheap day trips by train to Ravenna, Ferrara and Parma, all under 1 hour away. Worth going on a day trip to Modena too if you like cars.

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
The main square is spectacular and the Tamburini deli is worth a visit. Food is a big thing and the central market is worth a visit, also many memorials to the City's proud left-wing history.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Bologna is a simply stunning city. It's a slow city, without cars and advertising in the central area. It was also built during the medieval era, and its surrounding area produces some of the globe's most iconic food (Parma ham, parmesan, etc). My advice would be to plan very little, just wander around and soak it all in.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Have the Spaghetti Bolognese..... it will surprise you and have no meat..... tasty nonetheless.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
Went in 2001 to see Bologna v Fiorentina on a £2.99 Ryanair flight to Forli

There's a basilica up on the hill above the footy stadium with a walkway up. Decent views.

Great scran.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Lovely city with more neglected art than you can shake a stick at.The main square has an impressive statue of Neptune in the middle, not sure why. There's TWO leaning towers! You can walk a fair way through the town under porticos (not unlike our own Madeira terraces) which is handy if it rains, or if you just need some shade. There's a thousand year old university. The food is amazing. Oh, and if you're on a bit of a budget, my impoverished student friend introduced me to something called Aperativo. You'll see it advertised outside some bars. It's sort of like a happy hour, except you go in and buy a beer and that gets you access to a substantial free buffet! Think it cost about 7 euros when I was there. Apparently people tend to go there on their way out to dinner, tho my friend and her student mates tended to make it their main meal of an evening. Oh, and if you like your Punk IPA, there's a Brewdog bar!

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Bologna is a simply stunning city. It's a slow city, without cars and advertising in the central area. It was also built during the medieval era, and its surrounding area produces some of the globe's most iconic food (Parma ham, parmesan, etc). My advice would be to plan very little, just wander around and soak it all in.

Agree with this.

Go up the tower though, the views are incredible. Also, it is compulsory to walk up the hill to San Luca - you do this by walking up the longest portico in the world, and it's breathtaking at the top.

There are some superb bars - the craft beer scene in Bologna has really taken off. http://www.beerwithoutfrontiers.com/single-post/2016/02/12/A-Craft-Beer-Guide-to-Bologna

My brother has lived in Bologna for over 30 years now. It is a truly fantastic city. Have a great time.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
My Uncle lived & worked there back in the 1970's and has told us it is favourite Italian City, obviously can't give you any up to date tips!

Mrs Jakarta & I have an ambition to retire to Italy in a few years time and have been working our way around the Country from the Lakes down to Sicily - we haven't done Bologna yet & our favourite so far has been Verona.

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
For those that have been. How many days do you recommend you need. Looking to go later in the year for 3 or 4 nights.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
For those that have been. How many days do you recommend you need. Looking to go later in the year for 3 or 4 nights.

I'd recommend 4 nights if you're planning on taking in a Bologna match (I found it quiet a lot of time-consuming fannying about to get tickets; go to small ticket-selling bank branch in main square in one of the few hours that it's actually open, join long slow moving queue, passport inspection, ticket application details manually and painfully slowly typed by bank official etc.) else 3 nights should give you a good feel for the place.

Napier's Knee

Mar 23, 2014
West Sussex
My Uncle lived & worked there back in the 1970's and has told us it is favourite Italian City, obviously can't give you any up to date tips!

Mrs Jakarta & I have an ambition to retire to Italy in a few years time and have been working our way around the Country from the Lakes down to Sicily - we haven't done Bologna yet & our favourite so far has been Verona.

Verona is Mrs Knee's favourite place in Italy - stunning part of the world too with Vicenza, Padua and Mantua all nearby. Have you read Tim Parks's book A Season with Verona? If not, well worth it :
https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Books/Se...99843778&sr=1-1&keywords=a+season+with+verona

Napier's Knee

Mar 23, 2014
West Sussex
Many thanks for all the excellent tips - NSC is the fount of all wisdom (and other things too)

Since1982

Sep 30, 2006
Burgess Hill
Went there for three nights a few years ago. Lovely city with some excellent places to eat and drink. Recall Ristorante da Nello being very good for pasta with ragu sauce (proper bolognese!).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here