• 1960s - Two relegations and a promotion

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
I'm reading a book about football's golden decade, the 1970s.

Written by Andrew Smart, it looks at various aspects of 'last great decade for English football'. It's very good and got me thinking, we've had some good times, some bad, but which was our best DECADE?

1950s - big crowds, some near misses then finally promotion to Division Two for the first time

1960s - Two relegations but a glorious championship seaosn in 64/65 with over 100 league goals in the season and an ex-England international signed

1970s - Three promotions and a relegation. Massive crowds at the end of the decade and into the top-flight promised land

1980s - An FA Cup Final, two relegations and a promotion. Some memorable days out

1990s - The dark days, but the start of the fan's fight to save our club. Archer & Bellotti but we got them out. Fans United

2000s - Back to back promotions, a relegation then glory in the play-offs. Bobby Zamora, the fight for Falmer

2010s - Two promotions, Gus Poyet, Vicente, Chris Hughton, Knockaert and into The Premier League

Saladpack Seagull

Just Shut Up and Paddle
I suppose you could say that without the fight the fans put up in the 1990s, the successful decades thereafter would never have happened. Looking at what happened in all the decades listed makes you realise what an amazing experience it has been to follow the Albion in good times and bad.:albion2:

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Having seen the 70's & 80's and the good times that came with it, I have voted for 2010 onwards. I have done this as I believe that our current success is more sustainable than back then, and excluding the 'big six' we are less of a minnow these days.

Petee

Nov 22, 2010
Brighton
2010s as we will complete it with the Prem, Champs League, League Cup, FA Cup and Community Shield quintuple after winning the Prem, League Cup and FA Cup treble next season.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I was going to vote for the 70s but then I recalled the years before Clough and Taylor joined and the upward curve started. We were strong at home, but rubbish away from home, and just a mid table team or lower. There was also the Bristol Rovers 2-8 (under Clough), Walton and Hersham and other disappointments. But we did give teams a right bashing at home.

However I've gone for the current decade due to the higher quality football and players. Some great highs albeit balanced by the play-offs.

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
1970's no contest.

golddene

Jul 28, 2012
I'm reading a book about football's golden decade, the 1970s.

Written by Andrew Smart, it looks at various aspects of 'last great decade for English football'. It's very good and got me thinking, we've had some good times, some bad, but which was our best DECADE?

1950s - big crowds, some near misses then finally promotion to Division Two for the first time

1960s - Two relegations but a glorious championship seaosn in 64/65 with over 100 league goals in the season and an ex-England international signed

1970s - Three promotions and a relegation. Massive crowds at the end of the decade and into the top-flight promised land

1980s - An FA Cup Final, two relegations and a promotion. Some memorable days out

1990s - The dark days, but the start of the fan's fight to save our club. Archer & Bellotti but we got them out. Fans United

2000s - Back to back promotions, a relegation then glory in the play-offs. Bobby Zamora, the fight for Falmer

2010s - Two promotions, Gus Poyet, Vicente, Chris Hughton, Knockaert and into The Premier League

It has to be 2010s, just leaving Withdean is enough to swing it even though I loved the place, cannot remember which game it was during our last season there but sat in the South with constant rain deluging down soaked through to the skin, thinking "we're have a roof next season" swings it for me. I remember the amazing first game at the Amex, first time we had advertising boards around the pitch for a cup game, both occasions bringing tears to my eyes thinking how far we had come and that is not even touching on some of the best football I have seen a Brighton team play( first proper game very early 70s although I did go with mates to I think it was Barrow or Bradford park avenue? To qualify for cup tickets around 68.
The 2010s are the best for me thanks Tony for making it happen.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Albions cup run and eventual final appearance, was the greatest thing, then, I'd experienced since supporting the club.
Being at school then, I was a singular Albion fan in a world of Liverpool and Manure followers, always having the mickey taken for not following the crowd.
Going on the train to all of the club's home and away FA Cup games was exciting, to say the least.
For one they actually worked, but most of all it was a great travelling with all the other Albionites.
I did have the last laugh, most of those school mates who had derided me, wanted to go to cup final with me.
For me the 80's were significant.
Funny old world :albion2:

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Having lived it I voted 70s, but the 2010s haven't finished yet. If we stay in the top flight AND win a Cup I'll change my vote!

EDIT: Regardless of results though the 1970s won't be beaten on price! And we had terraces!

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
The 1990s were awful, but it did bring about a new club, and a new set of principles. It was the renaissance - eventually leading to where we are now.

While winning promotion this year was of course brilliant, there was a greater expectation on us to do so.

I'd probably have to say the 2000s because even getting near the top of any table, given our ongoing shackles, was a good effort. Winning Division Four, then Division Three was an extraordinary achievement, as was staying in the Second Division in 2005. We won those divisions with little or no pressure on us, and that's what made them so much more enjoyable.

We achieved what we did in spite of our circumstances, not because of them.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Surely (in this poll) they'd be beaten by both the 60's and 50's...?

I don't think so, not in real terms allowing for inflation. Football prices didn't really increase in real terms in the post-war period until professional football became 'popular' (i.e. grew beyond it's largely male and working class roots) in the Sky era. It's only in the last decade or so that they've hit stratospheric levels. I read somewhere that if the cheapest match tickets had kept pace with inflation they'd now be about £7.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here