Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Craft Lager

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Went to the Test on Friday, and the Lager in the Lords public outlets are apparently 'exclusively' Craft, not an Heineken or Corona in sight.
Needs must, when in Rome etc, so I went for it, have to say jury's still out, although yesterday morning's Donald Trump had a smell and texture the like Chez Hart hadn't seen in years.
Is this Craft stuff just a fad, like Space Dust, or is it here to stay?

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
In my experience craft lager isn't particularly good and very expensive. There are a few good ones but far more crap ones e.g Frontier by Fullers even the Brewdog one is shit and their beers are superb.

Craft beer isn't a fad the IPA's, APA's & stouts taste great and in all honesty I'll never go back to cooking lager the extra £1 on a pint for the likes of Brewdog, Tiny Rebel, Mikkeler & Beavertown are well worth it. Certainly a case of quality over quantity if I'm on a night out.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Craft lager is a bit of an odd one....and a bit pointless imho (hundreds of standard German lagers fit the bill and often do it better) . And many big brewing corporations are prefixing beers with craft these days. Equally a lot of the bigger, but genuine craft brewers, have a standard lager/pilsner in their core range. What was it?

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
I appreciate that Hop House 13 probably doesn't qualify as it's brewed by Guinness, but on draft it's a decent hoppy pint imho, and I say that as someone who would never typically drink lager, preferring craft ale.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
If the beer is conditioned and matured with the usual yeasts and this is all done at cold temperatures then Lager is just a generic name for it. Many German/Austrian/Czech style beers brew totally different styles that actually taste of something but still just about come under the lager title. Lager only means storage/warehouse in German at the end of the day.

So Craft lager is probably best kept away from Ian and any beer with taste mate....... god forbid.

Anyway it was the cricket - it's bound to be weak and shit so as to stop you yobs getting to lairy.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
In my experience craft lager isn't particularly good and very expensive. There are a few good ones but far more crap ones e.g Frontier by Fullers even the Brewdog one is shit and their beers are superb.

Craft beer isn't a fad the IPA's, APA's & stouts taste great and in all honesty I'll never go back to cooking lager the extra £1 on a pint for the likes of Brewdog, Tiny Rebel, Mikkeler & Beavertown are well worth it. Certainly a case of quality over quantity if I'm on a night out.

I'm similar to you. Prior to craft I used to drink nothing but cooking lager. The idea of a whole pint of Kronenbourg or Heineken fills me with horror these days.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
I'm similar to you. Prior to craft I used to drink nothing but cooking lager. The idea of a whole pint of Kronenbourg or Heineken fills me with horror these days.

So here's a question for you. When you visit someone's house and they offer you a beer do you say

a) yes please. Be polite and drink what's given
b) enquire politely to what it is, and make a decision based on the type
c) decline as it's unlikely to be something you like

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Try Camden Hells. Very similar to a German pilsner. Delicious.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
So here's a question for you. When you visit someone's house and they offer you a beer do you say

HT's a narcissistic snob/bore, what do you think?

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Known in the trade as a lager poof :whistle:

Edit: Meant to quote [MENTION=12422]Taybha[/MENTION] :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Bring back Bryan wade!!

I wanna caravan for me ma
Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks

Depends who's house I'm visiting....

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Depends who's house I'm visiting....

True. What about someone you don't know particularly well?

My usual tactic is to decline and if they comeback with a decent beer for themselves my usual response is "do you know what I will have a beer after all".

A reasonable tactic to avoid supping a can of Skol or Stella.

Bring back Bryan wade!!

I wanna caravan for me ma
Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks
True. What about someone you don't know particularly well?

My usual tactic is to decline and if they comeback with a decent beer for themselves my usual response is "do you know what I will have a beer after all".

A reasonable tactic to avoid supping a can of Skol or Stella.

I like your style 👍

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Craft lager is a bit of an odd one....and a bit pointless imho (hundreds of standard German lagers fit the bill and often do it better) . And many big brewing corporations are prefixing beers with craft these days. Equally a lot of the bigger, but genuine craft brewers, have a standard lager/pilsner in their core range. What was it?

I love a cold Berliner and only €2 for a big bottle!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Good question. B) and hope there's a few options.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here