Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

2001 - A Space Odyssey

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
On BBC2 tonight - I'm staying up to watch it but I think it fair to say is a film that divides people. The finest Sci-Fci Film ever made?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Not THE best but certainly groundbreaking, prob top 6. Obviously Star Wars, Predator, Alien, Soylent Green and Blade Runner right up there too.

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing
I think the "otherworldliness" of the first contact is genius and has changed perceptions of what it might look like (instead of humanoid robots landing in flying saucers etc)

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
Genius film. Delighted to have stumbled across the second half having come in from a top soiree in the garden.

Mr Cleansheets

Jun 7, 2017
For those who've read the book (tedious beyond belief), Kubrick's film is a work of absolute genius.

He also did A Clockwork Orange around the same time - two incredible examples of cinema as art.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The most thought provoking sci film I've ever seen. Star Wars etc may have better zip zap sequences and special effects but is a kid's film in comparison imo. The music sent shivers down my spine too.

Useless trivia, HAL was chosen as the name of the computer, by Arthur C Clarke, by using the letter in sequence after IBM, the big boys in the computer world back then.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
The most thought provoking sci film I've ever seen. Star Wars etc may have better zip zap sequences and special effects but is a kid's film in comparison imo. The music sent shivers down my spine too.

Useless trivia, HAL was chosen as the name of the computer, by Arthur C Clarke, by using the letter in sequence after IBM, the big boys in the computer world back then.

Star Wars should have better Special Effects seeing as it came out 10 years later - always regarded it as Cowboys & Indians in Space, don't think I have managed to sit through any Episodes of the Franchise.

Regarding HAL I always find it interesting that he/it is the only character in 2001 that shows any emotions.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Star Wars should have better Special Effects seeing as it came out 10 years later - always regarded it as Cowboys & Indians in Space, don't think I have managed to sit through any Episodes of the Franchise.

Regarding HAL I always find it interesting that he/it is the only character in 2001 that shows any emotions.

Harsh, I used to love the old Cowboys and Indians films and tv series. More goodies and baddies from a cartoon imo :shrug:

I have only watched the original Star Wars as it really didn't grab me. I realise that I am in the minority here as nearly everyone I know, of all ages, loves it. I knew someone who flew to New York with his kid to watch the premiere of one of them. Never seen such excitement from an adult about a film.

Interesting point re HAL, never thought of that before but you are probably right.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
The academy gave a one off award to Planet of the Apes for 'make up' and ignored the work on the opening scene of 2001 because they thought that they were trained chimps.

Possibly a fact.

(2001 is right up there in my favourite films, even thinking about it makes me quiver. Definitely the best film Rigsby ever appeared in)

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
My desk top PC has 'my mind is going' in place of the close down default tones. :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here