Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Help - Open Office Gurus Please

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
Open Office Spreadsheet, I am trying to make use of the predictive function ( in the same column in the spreadsheet having already loaded the options as parameters in that column.

It seems to work sometimes and not others. Can anyone suggest what I may be missing here ?

And yes, I have tried turning it off and turning it on again !

Any help would be much appreciated.

PeterOut

Aug 16, 2016
"trying to make use of the predictive function" - I am not sure what you mean by that.
Can you post a screenshot of a sample of your sheet, or give a description of what it is you are trying to do? Which Function are you using - an in-built one, or an externally-supplied one? Or are you simply trying to get auto-complete to behave nicely?

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
"trying to make use of the predictive function" - I am not sure what you mean by that.
Can you post a screenshot of a sample of your sheet, or give a description of what it is you are trying to do? Which Function are you using - an in-built one, or an externally-supplied one? Or are you simply trying to get auto-complete to behave nicely?

Thanks PO, trouble is I'm not sure which function I should be using or disabling.

In a spreadsheet where there are recurring items, I want them to 'autofill' which in some spreadsheets they do but not in others. I am referring to this function in a column within a spreadsheet where all the 'possibilities' are already in that column (albeit at the bottom of the likely usage)

The strange thing is that it seems to work sometimes but not others which makes we think I may have inadvertently switched something ON or OFF without realising it.

So, as you say, trying to get autocomplete nicely may be the answer.

Grateful if you can suggest anything and thanks !

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Open Office Spreadsheet, I am trying to make use of the predictive function ( in the same column in the spreadsheet having already loaded the options as parameters in that column.

It seems to work sometimes and not others. Can anyone suggest what I may be missing here ?

And yes, I have tried turning it off and turning it on again !

Any help would be much appreciated.

Don't worry, we're all struggling with the new loyalty points system..........

PeterOut

Aug 16, 2016
"When making an entry in a cell, OpenOffice Calc automatically suggests matching input found in the same column. This function is known as AutoInput.
To turn the AutoInput on and off, set or remove the tick mark in front of Tools - Cell Content - AutoInput."
From the Help file in OpenOffice.

If it works in some sheets, but not in others, check the settings in each sheet individually - I believe that each has it's own settings 'tied in' to that sheet?

PeterOut

Aug 16, 2016
Alternatively, if you know that you will only ever be filling values / data from a known and fixed list, consider using a 'List Box' - it will offer a list of the 'correct answers' and you just pick the one you want. It makes life a lot easier later, when you realise you have not spelled the same value 3 different ways ...
Just search for 'list box' in Help for info on how to do this.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
"When making an entry in a cell, OpenOffice Calc automatically suggests matching input found in the same column. This function is known as AutoInput.
To turn the AutoInput on and off, set or remove the tick mark in front of Tools - Cell Content - AutoInput."
From the Help file in OpenOffice.

If it works in some sheets, but not in others, check the settings in each sheet individually - I believe that each has it's own settings 'tied in' to that sheet?

Thanks for that !
The function doesn't work from 'imported' data which is what I hadn't taken into account ie. ignores cells where the data is coming from a separate Worksheet, eg. = Sheet2.a5.
Silly me !

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here