Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Let's move to Hove......Brighton’s more affordable neighbour

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
From the streets
Andrew Devon “Richardson Road, an enclave in ‘WeHo’ (west Hove; nobody calls it that except me and my wife, but I’m sure it will catch on): Drury, Curiosity cafe and Gratitude Tree Grocers.”

At least someone gets it. :lolol:

woody12a

Nov 9, 2006
Could always move here ...

6addff777af23874df829c418a362eac.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shuggie

Sep 19, 2003
East Sussex coast
Nah, it's bolloxed. Was much better in the days when retired colonels had entire regency townhouses to themselves and a housekeeper. At least you could bloody park back then. It's been downhill ever since the new town hall was built. Although a 10cc concert down there in about 1973 was quite good. Decline really kicked in when the gasometer went and got turned into a Tescos.

Time to turn the (floral) clock back and frighten off all them lah-di-dah DFLs. Bring back twittens, stoolball, Sussex bar billiards, shit cafes, open top buses and a 20,000 Tory majority. 17 Divisions of the Sunday Leagues. Fags all round at half-time and straight up the Sackville for a pint of shandy afterwards. Lazy days around the boundary rope watching Jon Snow, Ted Dexter and friends do their stuff. Glory days at The Goldstone and GOSBTS.

We wunt be druv (unless you offer me half a million quid for my 3 bed semi in Goldstone Valley)

CherryInHove

Apr 16, 2015
More rich young Londoners with thoroughly liberal attitudes and a desire to change the fusty old town. Wonderful!

Yeah, because Brighton in general doesn't have liberal attitudes at all. It's not been famed throughout the decades for its liberal attitudes. It's entirely people coming down from London.

Shuggie

Sep 19, 2003
East Sussex coast
Yeah, because Brighton in general doesn't have liberal attitudes at all. It's not been famed throughout the decades for its liberal attitudes. It's entirely people coming down from London.

I think they're talking about Hove actually

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
:) I have a picture in my head of Andrew Devon, what a bell end. Same sort of person that calls Five Ways a village.
I saw a newspaper artical a couple of weeks back calling Saltdean a village FFS

Lucky there's no ambiguity about Newhaven!!!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Hove is less affordable than Brighton. Partly due to being full of beardy, guardian readersheep DFLs. Badly researched article. Nick Cave used to live in one of the mansion flats in the photo that misses my beach hut by a smidgen. Good to see my mate's cafe at Hove Park gets a mention.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Nah, it's bolloxed. Was much better in the days when retired colonels had entire regency townhouses to themselves and a housekeeper. At least you could bloody park back then. It's been downhill ever since the new town hall was built. Although a 10cc concert down there in about 1973 was quite good. Decline really kicked in when the gasometer went and got turned into a Tescos.

Time to turn the (floral) clock back and frighten off all them lah-di-dah DFLs. Bring back twittens, stoolball, Sussex bar billiards, shit cafes, open top buses and a 20,000 Tory majority. 17 Divisions of the Sunday Leagues. Fags all round at half-time and straight up the Sackville for a pint of shandy afterwards. Lazy days around the boundary rope watching Jon Snow, Ted Dexter and friends do their stuff. Glory days at The Goldstone and GOSBTS.

We wunt be druv (unless you offer me half a million quid for my 3 bed semi in Goldstone Valley)

That is all satire, right? I may not be quite as old as you (Saturday morning pictures had dejenerated to a noisy stink bomb festival when I finally showed up at th ABC in the late 60s), but I really don't recall any glory days. We had a cup final of trepidation, and some promotions, but it was no more glorious than the Comsat Angels' pop career was illustrious (charming and hartwarming though they both were). :thumbsup:

ps - Soft Machine were also quite good at HTH

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Having lived in central Btn ( Clifton terrace ) Kemp town ( sussex square ) and central Hove ( 2nd Ave ) I have to say central Hove is the winner for me. Near the beach, friendly locals. Lots of nice pubs, eateries, coffee shops and not too many tourists or drunks like I saw in Clifton terrace and more family friendly than Kemp Town . I actually found KT quite seedy at night

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Not sure how Saltdean can possibly be called a village, it has no high st. I've always thought of it as a cheaper even more boring even further out alternative to Rotting dean, full of people who like doing loft conversions to their bungalows!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Not sure how Saltdean can possibly be called a village, it has no high st. I've always thought of it as a cheaper even more boring even further out alternative to Rotting dean, full of people who like doing loft conversions to their bungalows!

I just looked up the definition of a village and its bigger than a hamlet but not as big as a town. Saltdean seems to fit this. And Wikipedia (yes, I know) also says it's a village.

Shuggie

Sep 19, 2003
East Sussex coast
That is all satire, right? I may not be quite as old as you (Saturday morning pictures had dejenerated to a noisy stink bomb festival when I finally showed up at th ABC in the late 60s), but I really don't recall any glory days. We had a cup final of trepidation, and some promotions, but it was no more glorious than the Comsat Angels' pop career was illustrious (charming and hartwarming though they both were). :thumbsup:

ps - Soft Machine were also quite good at HTH

F me ... I've spent the last couple of years watching beautifully crafted British irony fall on the stony ground of SoCal, rooms emptied by my withering dead-pan humour and the 1,000 yard stare of a million yanks who just don't get it. NSC is my sanctuary, my holy place for all things twisted, sour and snide. And then I come on here to splash a wee bit of sarcasm around and the local PHD supervisor gets whooshed. And, if memory serves, you were only a year below me at HCGS (for boys). Yer cheeky young scamp. With apologies if you're not DM from F.

:albion2:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here