Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Barber and the club have lost me as a customer today

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
I'll still consider myself a fan of the club, but I won't be taken for a mug.

I'm not expecting sympathy, I'm not angry or even surprised by this announcement; I thought it was inevitable really. I've supported Brighton since I was pretty young, I've never seriously entertained supporting anybody else, I've been going to games home and away for years now. I'm no super-fan, there are many better but I would say I've been pretty dedicated to the cause.

I live in Bristol and have not long graduated from university so I don't have bundles of spare cash lying around, which means getting a season ticket is out of the question. For the last few seasons I have done my best to attend as many games as money and time have allowed me to, purchasing tickets on the day or borrowing season tickets when possible. I had, quite naturally hoped to carry on doing this for the forthcoming season but unfortunately my worst fears have been confirmed.

The bottom line for me is that I refuse to potentially pay a minimum of £45 to watch a football match, ever. I don't care who it is against or when we might next play them again, I don't care whether or not it is 'reasonable' relative to what the London clubs charge. £45 for two hours when it is something that happens on most weekends of the year is not something I will accept. I won't attend the lower category games because I refuse to be implicit in this brazen price-gouging.

Looks as though I will be becoming one of those armchair fans I've derided for so long.

:shrug:

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
Same for me, another 'Bristolian'. But, this was bound to happen I'm afraid. The reality is the club could charge double that and sell out for most games. Football at this level is a business and a rich mans game, simple as.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Time for some Pringles me thinks. Maybe with added popcorn

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester

I'm not expecting sympathy, I'm not angry or even surprised by this announcement; I thought it was inevitable really. I've supported Brighton since I was pretty young, I've never seriously entertained supporting anybody else, I've been going to games home and away for years now. I'm no super-fan, there are many better but I would say I've been pretty dedicated to the cause.

I live in Bristol and have not long graduated from university so I don't have bundles of spare cash lying around, which means getting a season ticket is out of the question. For the last few seasons I have done my best to attend as many games as money and time have allowed me to, purchasing tickets on the day or borrowing season tickets when possible. I had, quite naturally hoped to carry on doing this for the forthcoming season but unfortunately my worst fears have been confirmed.

The bottom line for me is that I refuse to potentially pay a minimum of £45 to watch a football match, ever. I don't care who it is against or when we might next play them again, I don't care whether or not it is 'reasonable' relative to what the London clubs charge. £45 for two hours when it is something that happens on most weekends of the year is not something I will accept. I won't attend the lower category games because I refuse to be implicit in this brazen price-gouging.

Looks as though I will be becoming one of those armchair fans I've derided for so long.

Weren't single match tickets last season around £35-38 depending on where you sit? That's what I remember paying whenever I can afford to get back to the Amex 4/5 times a season.

An extra £10 per match whilst a shame is to be expected and will be justified by the stadium selling out most weeks. With the cap on away tickets set at £30 for next season why don't you just go to a couple more away games (obviously getting tickets may be a problem) and cut out a few home games and the average should even itself out? Otherwise continue to borrow season tickets as before??

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
I'm already resigned to watching BHA v City on the big screen in The Elephant and Castle in Lewes, and I have to say that's not an altogether depressing prospect. Just target some of the £30 cat C games Husty, the bonus of those being you're far more likely to see an Albion result in those fixtures in any case.

:thumbsup:

You make some valid points and you shouldn't be slated for objecting to high ticket prices

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
The harsh reality is that some fans are being priced out of football. The cost for a family of four is now prohibitive for many and it's hard to see how this will ever change all the time attendances continue to increase.

In our case the only way prices will come down is if the AMEX is made bigger, which is likely to be several years away.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
I sympathise with you, it is a disgusting amount of money for 90 minutes of football, to add balance I think the cost of a season ticket is fantastic value.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
The harsh reality is that some fans are being priced out of football. The cost for a family of four is now prohibitive for many and it's hard to see how this will ever change all the time attendances continue to increase.

In our case the only way prices will come down is if the AMEX is made bigger, which is likely to be several years away.

If (I think when) the Amex is expanded there is no chance of ticket prices being reduced.

Think of construction costs and how these have to be factored in.

jamie the seagull

Jul 27, 2011

Prices will never come down.
Should we get relegated this year at best prices will be held at same level.
We will then be told that the additional games in the EFL means the cost per game has gone down..

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I sympathise with you, it is a disgusting amount of money for 90 minutes of football, to add balance I think the cost of a season ticket is fantastic value.

Agreed, particularly when affordability is further enhanced with the interest free direct debit payment option.

I fully sympathise with those who are wondering how they'll be able to afford watching the Albion now. If I didn't have a season ticket, I'm not sure how many games I'd get to.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

Begs the question what exactly did you expect? Not happy with price increases bearing in mind the additional revenue from tv and advertising but probably what i expected.

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005

Got no sympathy at all after you mocking autistic people!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here