Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

26% of Scots will be supporting the All Blacks!

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/40497672

According to that BBC article 26% of Scots will be supporting the All Blacks on Saturday. (It's not the headline, it's about two-thirds of the way down when it mentions a poll on a website).

Now it doesn't bother me in the slightest when due to the Highland Clearances, Oliver Cromwell, Maggie Thatcher, etc the Celtic nations all support England's opponents. I also accept that if England were playing Islamic State half of Scotland would be running round dressed up as Jihadi John, but the Lions isn't English. Apparently because there aren't any Scots in the Test team the Scots feel 'disconnected' from the Lions. Fair enough I can accept them being a bit 'meh' about it all, even to the extent of being neutral - but to actively cheer for the other side I think is taking the usual Scottish position of twisted bitterness a step too far.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
Hogg and Laidlaw not in the squad then ?

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Hogg and Laidlaw not in the squad then ?
Not in the Test squad, no.

Lions: Liam Williams (Wales); Anthony Watson (England), Jonathan Davies (Wales), Owen Farrell (England), Elliot Daly (England); Johnny Sexton (Ireland), Conor Murray (Ireland); Mako Vunipola (England), Jamie George (England) Tadhg Furlong (Ireland), Maro Itoje (England), Alun Wyn Jones (Wales) Sam Warburton (capt, Wales), Sean O'Brien (Ireland), Taulupe Faletau (Wales)

Replacements: Ken Owens (Wales), Jack McGrath (Ireland), Kyle Sinckler (England), Courtney Lawes (England), CJ Stander (Ireland), Rhys Webb (Wales), Ben Te'o (England), Jack Nowell (England)

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I work with Scottish rugby supporters.

They were scathing of Gatland's squad selection, which they and many commentators from these isles, felt ignored form over the last year including Scotland beating both Wales and Ireland this year. There were a few other shocks with the immense Ledbury overlooked. He went for the tried and tested Welsh players he knows so well who were a key part of Lions success in Australia in 2013, adding Irish and English around that core.

Personally I'd always want the Lions to thrive, regardless of the number of English players.

Eeyore

NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
Not in the Test squad, no.

Lions: Liam Williams (Wales); Anthony Watson (England), Jonathan Davies (Wales), Owen Farrell (England), Elliot Daly (England); Johnny Sexton (Ireland), Conor Murray (Ireland); Mako Vunipola (England), Jamie George (England) Tadhg Furlong (Ireland), Maro Itoje (England), Alun Wyn Jones (Wales) Sam Warburton (capt, Wales), Sean O'Brien (Ireland), Taulupe Faletau (Wales)

Replacements: Ken Owens (Wales), Jack McGrath (Ireland), Kyle Sinckler (England), Courtney Lawes (England), CJ Stander (Ireland), Rhys Webb (Wales), Ben Te'o (England), Jack Nowell (England)

WP Nel might have got the nod had he not had his injuries (I'm a Quin but I still don't think Sinclair is anywhere near the finished article). Could have been an argument for Richie Gray.

Eeyore

NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
Probably the same team as Englishman Mako Vunipola and Welshman Taulupe Faletau are rooting for I'd imagine.

The Mako Vunipola and Taulupe Faletau who were brought up in Wales then England. Faletau is Tongan by origin anyway.

The Upper Library

May 23, 2013
Good joke on Mock the Week about always supporting the opponents of England- the English do the same , it is just we are never aware of when Scotland are playing........[emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
It's Rugger . Who cares

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Me.

On this question I'd be a little miffed to say the least if I was Scots but I couldn't support the All Blacks over the Lions.

Scots have some valid claims over squad selection highlighted within the thread after a very successful (for them) Six Nations.

I've got a feeling Hogg is injured anyhow.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I've got a feeling Hogg is injured anyhow.

He is: he went home a couple of weeks ago but he'd have been a shoo-in for the team if he hadn't.

Seymour can count himself unlucky too - he's the top try scorer on the tour but Daly and Watson have been in pretty good form.

But I can't see any other jocks pressing for a place

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
As they're crap at football, they are transferring their ABE (Anyone but English) mantra to egg-chasing. Non story. It's just the way they are.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Yeah, its 25% supporting the all-blacks

Which means that 75% are supporting the Lions. If the header was written that way instead, I guess the post above mine - 'its just the way they are' might be a little out of place?

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
Yeah, its 25% supporting the all-blacks

Which means that 75% are supporting the Lions. If the header was written that way instead, I guess the post above mine - 'its just the way they are' might be a little out of place?

Not really, I'd be very surprised if more than 1/2% of English/Welsh/Irish would be supporting NZ, and they'd probably be of mixed nationality. 25% is a huge percentage, whatever their grouches about squad selection.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patreon
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Was saying last night, I was supporting Scotland in 1978 World Cup in Argentina, don't know why I bothered, maybe THAPP will come back from Greece And explain

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here