Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Just How Rubbish is 1901, thoughts please

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
What happened with Bennetts field?

I gather there was a deal where the club only had it for a year (maybe two) and then the farmer wanted too much money on renewal, which the club said they wouldn't pay. All the 1901 parking was moved to the University or the Bridge and then would you believe it they came to an arrangement with the farmer. Parking there now seems to be for staff and corporate guests and has not reverted to 1901. Not that I care but for less able bodied fans the walk is now much longer and it was a right hassle to get out of at the end of a game too, given some of the very aggressive 1901ers barging through in their 4x4's. Real case of survival of the biggest.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
What happened with Bennetts field?

It was utterly shit and unworkable, meaning that eventually they changed the operation on safety grounds, to only open the gates about an hour after the final whistle. So you could be first out of your seat, first to you car, and still get away at least 30 minutes after everyone in the Uni car parks.

So now only disabled and club guests go in there, and everyone else parks in the much better Uni ones. I have no problem with it. Works much more smoothly.

TheOldGirl

Jul 24, 2013
Saltdean
At least you had the good grace to leave out the word 'loyalty'.

Instant karma.

Ooh good point, but as I have said I personally would be fine as I have been going since withdean and go away so have enough points myself, I just believe that its unethical to sell something and then withdraw, where is our option to be bought back out if we dont like the new terms

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
I gather there was a deal where the club only had it for a year (maybe two) and then the farmer wanted too much money on renewal, which the club said they wouldn't pay. All the 1901 parking was moved to the University or the Bridge and then would you believe it they came to an arrangement with the farmer. Parking there now seems to be for staff and corporate guests and has not reverted to 1901. Not that I care but for less able bodied fans the walk is now much longer and it was a right hassle to get out of at the end of a game too, given some of the very aggressive 1901ers barging through in their 4x4's. Real case of survival of the biggest.

Just to say there is a minibus laid on by the club from Uni carpark for less able bodied fans. Great service, used it when I was on crutches. Goes from sports centre car park to lift down to south stand.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I didn't know you were tied in for 5 years! Who signs a contract for a leisure activity for 5 years!! You've been stitched up like a right gay kipper.

It's the second round of 5 year contracts, as we've been at the Amex for 6 years now. It seems most renewed last year.

D

Deleted member 2719

The OP does have a point in fairness, but has to realise when the club built the Amex they were desperate for 1901 members and promised so much to secure punters, now they don't need anyone they will ride roughshod over us if they chose. Who is going to get that upset about a half time cup of tea or a pre season friendly or the fact that they were conned out of Bennett's Field for parking ( the way the club did that was actually very clever, if sneaky) that they will take the club on through the courts.

I imagine seats will be moved from the centre in the not too distant future to cope for real corporate fat cats if we stay in this division. There might be more outrage if this happens but it wouldn't stop them.

Too true, ride roughshod is exactly what they will do until they need to fill those seats up again.

I am a straight type of customer and hate all this underhand changing of T&C's all the time, it's just not cricket.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
It was utterly shit and unworkable, meaning that eventually they changed the operation on safety grounds, to only open the gates about an hour after the final whistle. So you could be first out of your seat, first to you car, and still get away at least 30 minutes after everyone in the Uni car parks.

So now only disabled and club guests go in there, and everyone else parks in the much better Uni ones. I have no problem with it. Works much more smoothly.

In the first Amex season 2011/12 at some big evening games, I recall some 1901 members who'd parked in Bennetts Field fuming on NSC about not being able to drive away until as late as 11pm plus ... due to all the coaches having priority, plus tempers flaring in Bennetts because of some drivers poor manners in the scrum.

I know a family of lifelong Albion fanatics from Horsham who started leaving with 15 minutes to go, to beat either the rush or an imposed deadline, to get back to Horsham at a decent hour.

As a proud 1901 member I do slightly resent these bashing threads. I am a Brighton FC fan through and through.

These kind of allegations are not confined to Brighton though and we see similar knocking threads in the Arsenal hospitality areas.

I certainly don't think I am above any of the common people that occupy the rest of the stadium. I watched avidly the FA Cup final on TV and was there when Richie Reinelt scored against Hereford and Zamora scored the famous penalty at the Millennium stadium against Bristol.

Yes, I sometimes have to leave early to get home as I live the other side of Lewes, but otherwise you can be stuck for ages in the car park queues. I certainly won't be leaving some of the big games this year early and if anyone has any spare (1901) tickets for the Arsenal game do PM me as some of my Gooner pals are also coming down.

Up the Gulls.

Not too bad, Bristol 'Rovers' would have been a nice touch though.

Citrus

Seagulls over Toronto
Jul 11, 2003
Toronto
I will start,

The seats are no better view than the East Upper, the customer service is terrible, rube and unhelpful much worse than the normal ticket line The club change the terms as and when they feel like it, who knows whats next to go. You are tied in for 5 years whatever happens and you have to pay through the nose. I regularly go to away games so I may be alright for next season but I changed to 1901 from a west lower season ticket for the extra points and are now stuck with it

Only done it once, thought it was great, actually.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here