Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What the **** is wrong with some people?

bWize

Nov 6, 2007
Yesterday me and a mate took a few beers to Swanbourne Lake (Arundel ) for an afternoon on the hills surrounding the lake. After walking up the big hill that overlooks the whole lake we were greeted with almost the entire hill covered in Mc Donalds cartons, plastic bottles, beer bottles/cans, spent fireworks and used disposable BBQ's. It amazes me how shit people have become in their attitudes :(

We ended up spending 1/2 hour clearing it all up (in carrier bags they kindly left behind)

Really sad how inconsiderate society has become regarding nature and overall empathy for the environment and others...

Last edited:

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
Yesterday me and a mate took a few beers to Swanbourne (Arundel ) for a chilled day up on the glorious hills. After walking up the big hill that overlooks the lake we were greeted with the entire hill covered in Mc Donalds cartons, plastic bottles, beer bottles/cans, spent fireworks and used disposable BBQ's. It amazes me how shit people have become in their attitudes :(

We ended up spending 1/2 hour clearing it all up (in carrier bags they kindly)

Really sad how inconsiderate society has become regarding nature and overall empathy for the environment and others...

Rarely happens here. I've been to outdoor firework displays with crowds over 100,000 people drinking and eating stall food out of plastic containers. 99% put their rubbish in a plastic bag, tie it off and take it home to be disposed of in the proper manner. I don't know if this is something that can be taught in schools or if the Westerner's disrespect for others or the environment is an ingrained part of Western culture.

It's kinda weird really.

bWize

Nov 6, 2007
I have lived in Arundel for over 30 years and never seen anything like what I saw yesterday. It's certainly a statement on how ignorant and arrogant people have become.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
Rarely happens here. I've been to outdoor firework displays with crowds over 100,000 people drinking and eating stall food out of plastic containers. 99% put their rubbish in a plastic bag, tie it off and take it home to be disposed of in the proper manner. I don't know if this is something that can be taught in schools or if the Westerner's disrespect for others or the environment is an ingrained part of Western culture.

It's kinda weird really.

I wouldn't say it's a western thing, it's an educational thing. In the parts of Asia & South America I've been to they dont think twice about littering.

Japan is a different kettle of fish as you well know.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Yesterday me and a mate took a few beers to Swanbourne Lake (Arundel ) for an afternoon on the hills surrounding the lake. After walking up the big hill that overlooks the whole lake we were greeted with almost the entire hill covered in Mc Donalds cartons, plastic bottles, beer bottles/cans, spent fireworks and used disposable BBQ's. It amazes me how shit people have become in their attitudes :(

We ended up spending 1/2 hour clearing it all up (in carrier bags they kindly left behind)

I share your feelings on this. I've never littered.

That selfishness is a reflection of the personalities doing it. Anti social and illegal behaviour = a scummy person.

But I would say that this has always gone on and that the majority of people do behave well.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015

Like the pics emerging from Glasto aftermath recently... a society... or is it a generation that assumes that someone will deal with it for them.... my love for our nation and it's future is at an all time low.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
In Britain, we live in the throwaway society. The attitutude prevails that it doesn't matter what is chucked on the ground, somebody will be paid to come along and clean it up. In towns and cities, you can place as many litter bins as you like, they will just be ignored. Between each one will be an assorted trail of detritus. People walk along the street, eating a takeaway and then calmly chuck the container and the half eaten remains on the pavement. In cars, they will chuck litter out the window, empty out ashtrays, whilst stationery, or simply flick the burning remains of a cigarette, out of the car window, onto a dry verge and reduce tens of acres of heathland to charred ashes. Individuals come out of shops, having purchased a packet of cigarettes, immediately tear off the plastic wrapper and throw it on the ground. Later on it will be the fag end or chewing gum. It doesn't really matter. No one gives a damn. They don't have to clean it up.
More and more wildlife is now attracted to urban areas, to feast on the mountains of discarded fast food. There are more seagulls inland now than at the seaside. Foxes abound everywhere. Its like an all day every day picnic. Our country lanes and quiet areas are festooned with fly-tipping. Out for a quiet drive, you suddenly come across a fridge, a dozen assorted tyres and half a flat pack kitchen. You go to any outside event and the whole area is covered in discarded rubbish. Barely a soul bothers to clear up. Staff and volunteers spend hours clearing up. Hand on heart, how many of us leave cups and containers, under our seats, at football. Loads of us because we can't be obothered to find a bin to put them in. We are all as guilty as each other. We know the club will clean up after us.
I'm all for litter patrols and on the spot fines. I'm all for more emphasis at school level. We should be proud of our country and its surrounds and not treat it like a rubbish heap. Society has become more self-centred, more indolent. Why go to a litter bin, when you can just drop it on the ground with no sense of guilt or responsibility
When my children were young, I made them aware of litter. We would pick it up and take it to the nearest bin. As young adults now, I know they don't casually discard rubbish. It can be done but it has to start in the home. Kids have to be told that you treat the outside as you would your home. If you wouldn't dream of stubbing a fag out on the lounge carpet, then don't do it in the street. All your rubbish is binned up at home, why is it casually discarded away from home. Why should it be any different. Its all about a change of mindset.

Ludensian Gull

Apr 18, 2009
Thorpness Suffolk
In Britain, we live in the throwaway society. The attitutude prevails that it doesn't matter what is chucked on the ground, somebody will be paid to come along and clean it up. In towns and cities, you can place as many litter bins as you like, they will just be ignored. Between each one will be an assorted trail of detritus. People walk along the street, eating a takeaway and then calmly chuck the container and the half eaten remains on the pavement. In cars, they will chuck litter out the window, empty out ashtrays, whilst stationery, or simply flick the burning remains of a cigarette, out of the car window, onto a dry verge and reduce tens of acres of heathland to charred ashes. Individuals come out of shops, having purchased a packet of cigarettes, immediately tear off the plastic wrapper and throw it on the ground. Later on it will be the fag end or chewing gum. It doesn't really matter. No one gives a damn. They don't have to clean it up.
More and more wildlife is now attracted to urban areas, to feast on the mountains of discarded fast food. There are more seagulls inland now than at the seaside. Foxes abound everywhere. Its like an all day every day picnic. Our country lanes and quiet areas are festooned with fly-tipping. Out for a quiet drive, you suddenly come across a fridge, a dozen assorted tyres and half a flat pack kitchen. You go to any outside event and the whole area is covered in discarded rubbish. Barely a soul bothers to clear up. Staff and volunteers spend hours clearing up. Hand on heart, how many of us leave cups and containers, under our seats, at football. Loads of us because we can't be obothered to find a bin to put them in. We are all as guilty as each other. We know the club will clean up after us.
I'm all for litter patrols and on the spot fines. I'm all for more emphasis at school level. We should be proud of our country and its surrounds and not treat it like a rubbish heap. Society has become more self-centred, more indolent. Why go to a litter bin, when you can just drop it on the ground with no sense of guilt or responsibility
When my children were young, I made them aware of litter. We would pick it up and take it to the nearest bin. As young adults now, I know they don't casually discard rubbish. It can be done but it has to start in the home. Kids have to be told that you treat the outside as you would your home. If you wouldn't dream of stubbing a fag out on the lounge carpet, then don't do it in the street. All your rubbish is binned up at home, why is it casually discarded away from home. Why should it be any different. Its all about a change of mindset.

Spot on, very good post.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
It is awful to see someone chuck a can or fag packet or any litter in to the gutter any time, but when they're yards from a litter bin, AAAGGGHHHH!
Having spent my formative years as a Council Gardener litter-picking, people lazily just dropping their rubbish is one of the few things I get a little worked up about. I was waiting in my car a few years ago outside the Brighton Centre when another car parked behind me. I saw the driver throw a cigarette packet out of the window. Risking a potential fracas, I got out of my car and said to him "Do you live in Brighton?" to which he replied "No". I said "WELL I DO, SO GET OUT, AND PICK UP YOUR F****** RUBBISH AND TAKE IT BACK TO WHERE YOU LIVE AND CHUCK IT THERE INSTEAD YOU DIRTY B******. HOW DARE YOU LEAVE YOUR S*** IN MY HOME TOWN!"
Sheepishly, he got out of his car and did as I said. Whether this had a lasting affect on him, who knows?
Clipped Gull is also aware of what happens if I see someone leave litter about, but I'll let him tell you that story!!

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
I walked through Preston Park quite early about a week ago and it honestly looked like someone had emptied every bin all over the park. It must be soul destroying working there

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London

What you see with littering in this country is thankfully the minority, and its a good thing that littering is seen as a bad thing and when you do see bad examples of it it's shocking and even sometimes newsworthy. But go to somewhere like Indonesia or Bolivia and you will find that the vast majority of people do not give two ****s where their rubbish ends up, either that, or they burn it. The problem is education, and thankfully we are on the whole pretty well educated in this country.

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
Gosh...you must have a load of Spanish visitors picnicking in the beautiful Arundel area. The Spanish really are the worst litter leavers of any nationality I have come across. Sunday is SFPD (Spanish Family Picnic Day), go and visit a riverside, popular area the next morning and every single carton/bottle has just been left where it was used. There is no excuse as there are so many rubbish containers on streets etc.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
This sort of thing absolutey enrages me. Use a bin or tidy up your rubbish and dispose of it loater. How difficult is that to do?

It is utterly thoughtless and selfish shwoing absolutely no respect for either the environment or other people who want to enjoy those public spaces.

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house

Drives me mad,park near Me in Worthing is always covered in crap in the summer,McDonalds,KFC,Burger King ,you name it,this country is certainly being overrun by ferrel scum.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Any kind of littering is of course disgraceful but is it really getting worse? And do people care less about the environment as some have said?

In 2000 about 10% of household waste was recycled, now it's more than 40%. Seems like progress to me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here