Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Martin Braithwaite (Toulouse)

Gluteus Maximus

Jul 10, 2003
Trumpton
Utterly baffling. Have seen him play enough times for Denmark to know he isn't very good. €15m and a 4 and half year contract! I wait to be proven wrong, but I wouldn't have him in our side at the moment.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Utterly baffling. Have seen him play enough times for Denmark to know he isn't very good. €15m and a 4 and half year contract! I wait to be proven wrong, but I wouldn't have him in our side at the moment.
The reason is that Barcelona have been given special permission to sign a striker outside the transfer window. He must be from a Spanish club.

No club will sell to them as the selling club cannot buy a replacement as the window is shut.

But Braithwaite had a release clause so that's just tough luck for the club he has been signed from.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The reason is that Barcelona have been given special permission to sign a striker outside the transfer window. He must be from a Spanish club.

No club will sell to them as the selling club cannot buy a replacement as the window is shut.

But Braithwaite had a release clause so that's just tough luck for the club he has been signed from.
All La Liga contracts have to have a release clause.

How Barca have got away with this is truly baffling.

GloryDays

Jul 5, 2011
Leyton, E10.

But Braithwaite has a release clause so that's just tough luck for the club he has been signed from.

Unless mistaken I thought I read earlier that all players under contract in Spain have to have a release clause in their contract. The harsh part of the deal for Leganes is that the situation leaves them in the relegation zone without a recognised striker and without the pulling power to attract a player of similar standard.

It appears the selling club were totally against the deal but obviously for the player it’s a no brainer. Imagine if United just went ahead and signed GM from us cos they fancied it (and we didn’t have Maups or Connolly) and could without any resistance from the selling club. Seems harsh so can see why some are asking for a rule change.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
This is a ridiculous scenario as Leganes are screwed over based on Barcelona's lack of preparation for the remainder of the season when the January window closed. Leganes have asked if they can be allowed to sign a replacement but as they haven't lost a player to a long term injury then they have been refused.

I can see some stupid buy-out clauses being inserted into contracts over the next few weeks

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Lagness sold our man Thingy En Thingy to Sevilla in January for £20m (£2m more than our offer in the Summer)

I can't be bothered to see who they replaced him with but we can safely say losing MB a month later wasn't part of their plans.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
And this is partly why Man Utd apparently didn't want to proceed with the Erling Haaland deal - they didn't want a release clause in the contract. If true, it makes a lot of sense because if a player demands a relatively low release clause (€50m I've read somewhere), their club are screwed. Dortmund accept that players come and go and they have little say, plus the deal makes ALL of the short term sense to them. But a club like United would not be happy knowing their player could leave for a defined fee without them being to defend their interests. The way it's going, whatever the release clause is for Haaland, it'll be paid in the summer.

Braithwaite to Barcelona is one of the most ridiculous transfers you can name, up there with Kevin-Prince Boateng to Barcelona as well, not to mention Julien Faubert and Emmanuel Adebayor to Real Madrid!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Braithwaite to Barcelona is one of the most ridiculous transfers you can name, up there with Kevin-Prince Boateng to Barcelona as well, not to mention Julien Faubert and Emmanuel Adebayor to Real Madrid!
It would be if they made the deal in January, when they have the entire planet to choose from, but not in February when they're fishing in a tiny pond (La Liga - out of contract only).

I guess once all the factors are striped away, playing style, money, age etc Barca had no choice.

Edit -

A quick look has 32 players (inc MB) scoring 6 or more goals in La Liga, this season.
17 of which are over 30 years old. :ohmy:

Only 2 are under the age of 25 double :ohmy:

5 either already play for Barca or Real Madrid (that ain't happening)

Last edited:

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Unless mistaken I thought I read earlier that all players under contract in Spain have to have a release clause in their contract. The harsh part of the deal for Leganes is that the situation leaves them in the relegation zone without a recognised striker and without the pulling power to attract a player of similar standard.

It appears the selling club were totally against the deal but obviously for the player it’s a no brainer. Imagine if United just went ahead and signed GM from us cos they fancied it (and we didn’t have Maups or Connolly) and could without any resistance from the selling club. Seems harsh so can see why some are asking for a rule change.
Pulling power is irrelevant - the transfer window is shut ! Unless you are Barcelona.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here