Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Flying Ant Day

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Just checked compost heaps in BN1 and nothing yet, but a hot still week means that the moment word gets out. It'll be [MENTION=21158]Weststander[/MENTION]'s lot that starts it, it always is :rolleyes:

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I'm hoping that my current situation (in the house, working my way through Covid) means I miss the little buggers. Might keep an eye out for daredevil seagulls swooping down to pick them off the road - hopefully dodging the traffic - then drunkenly flying off again. :lol:

I think the drunken seagull story is a bit of a myth. They're talking about formic acid which isn't so highly registered in flying ants. It is potentially toxic, but I think the behaviour is down to frenzied excitement, thus lack of awareness, and basically pigging out.

Just look at the seagulls around some discarded chips and you get the drift.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I think the drunken seagull story is a bit of a myth. They're talking about formic acid which isn't so highly registered in flying ants. It is potentially toxic, but I think the behaviour is down to frenzied excitement, thus lack of awareness, and basically pigging out.

Just look at the seagulls around some discarded chips and you get the drift.

I'm certainly not up with the science, but I do remember years ago on flying ants day, Mrs Wz creeping up through Hangleton valley (don't ask), while I leaned out of the car window, clapping my hands and trying to get the buggers to move. After 60 years being bought up and living in Brighton, I'm fairly confident I know what 'totally smashed' looks like :wink:

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I'm certainly not up with the science, but I do remember years ago on flying ants day, Mrs Wz creeping up through Hangleton valley (don't ask), while I leaned out of the car window, clapping my hands and trying to get the buggers to move. After 60 years being bought up and living in Brighton, I'm fairly confident I know what 'totally smashed' looks like :wink:

It's possible, but I think a lot of them just can't contain themselves when these dishes get served up. You should hear the bloody rows that they are having round here after a day out at the buffet.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Just checked compost heaps in BN1 and nothing yet, but a hot still week means that the moment word gets out. It'll be [MENTION=21158]Weststander[/MENTION]'s lot that starts it, it always is :rolleyes:

Nailed, we have a few.

But a nice attempted distraction. I’m still furious that you introduced the Box hedge caterpillar/moth to this part of the world :angry:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Nailed, we have a few.

But a nice attempted distraction. I’m still furious that you introduced the Box hedge caterpillar/moth to this part of the world :angry:

Tonight's collection

moth3.jpg

I think we are getting to peak season :(

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Lots of ground crew erks wandering around Jakarta Towers but havent espied a winged one yet (easily identified, top button undone on his tunic, handlebar moustache and sprinting to scramble...)

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Had a "launch " from my back garden about 6pm tonight..hundreds of small ones. Must be a different breed to the more chunky ones the Seagulls hoover up ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here