Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wimbledon quitters

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Amazing and fairly surreal day at Wimbledon yesterday - the authorities have caused a lot of trouble for themselves with their first-round player prize money policy, and it all came to roost on Tuesday as some of you may have seen.

I think the thing to bear in mind here is value for money for a paying punter, and the show/experience of what is supposed to be the greatest tennis show on earth.

I had a ticket for Centre Court yesterday - bought it on Ticketmaster on Monday at 9am after queuing online for an hour, as anyone can do for the small number released every day. Felt very lucky, lifelong sporting ambition to see Federer on Centre Court before he packs it in, Djokovic too, and women's world No1 Kerber.

Now genuine injuries during a match are one thing, but players carrying serious injuries into a match against an all-time great on Centre Court with no realistic prospect of finishing, but refusing to pull out and lose £35,000, and denying someone else a chance who would at least have completed the match, is farcical.

Not once, but twice in 80 minutes this happened on Centre Court. And then twice more later on 16 and 17, both of which I also saw. I'll say that Feliciano Lopez on 16 around 8pm did get injured during the match, but since he had played for two and a half losing sets with it, he could/should have finished.

But of the others, three yesterday were not fit to play, and in the case of Klizan and Dolgopolov on Centre, they have ruined a great spectacle and damaged the brand of the sport and the tournament. With the best will in the world, people haven't come to see them, they have come to see Federer and Djokovic play a complete match, and/or a good match, and they have ruined it through pure self-interest.

For extra fun, the announcer said after the first retirement that the Federer match would start in 75 mins. Many fans left (luckily not me) and so missed the only set of that match when it started at 3.55, not 4.55.

It's really simple. For normal ATP events you can withdraw in advance and keep your prize money but allow the place to go to someone else. In grand slams, where the amounts are bigger, you forfeit the money. So the incentive to play without really giving a shit is there on a plate. If the players can't be trusted to do the right thing, then it must be imposed on them.

And I thought this before seeing any of the Federer/Djokovic comments saying pretty much the same thing.

As if four retirements in men's matches wasn't enough, I also watched a set of the Tomic match. You may have seen the interview, he was a disgrace on court, just didn't care and didn't try. He and Kyrgios have obviously been spending too much time together.

With some match-fixing problems lower down, and a growing issue with players 'tanking' even before this, tennis needs to get its act together.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
On the plus side though, the English girl who had her five minutes of fame yesterday (Katie Boulter) is quite CUTE, which after all is the important thing.

This is true. But the last 'cute' English woman player, Laura Robson, is now a total diva who is being managed like she is Sharapova even though she has done f**k all in the game.

In fairness, it's probably not the day for me to be commenting objectively on tennis issues...

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I don't see what you can really do about players retiring - only they know how they feel and they may genuinely think they might be able to get through the match. It was suggested that you could offer half the prize money if they pulled out and let someone else play instead ... might work. You feel for those like you, where it might be your only chance on centre to see these guys play, but it's just the luck of the draw. I don't think it's happened before where you get two occurrences of it in successive matches.

Basically, it doesn't happen that often, though these guys are operating at such a high level now, and so often, maybe it will happen more and they'll have to do something about it

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
This is true. But the last 'cute' English woman player, Laura Robson, is now a total diva who is being managed like she is Sharapova even though she has done f**k all in the game.

In fairness, it's probably not the day for me to be commenting objectively on tennis issues...

Boulter is WAAAAY cuter than Robson though. Pretty much the PERFECT 21-year old blonde tennis babe. If she could get good at hitting the ball and stuff, she'll make an absolute FORTUNE through all the endorsements and stuff.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/tennis/katie-boulter-squanders-set-break-10737913

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/3947462/wimbledon-katie-boulter-message-brit-out/

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I don't see what you can really do about players retiring - only they know how they feel and they may genuinely think they might be able to get through the match. It was suggested that you could offer half the prize money if they pulled out and let someone else play instead ... might work. You feel for those like you, where it might be your only chance on centre to see these guys play, but it's just the luck of the draw. I don't think it's happened before where you get two occurrences of it in successive matches.

Basically, it doesn't happen that often, though these guys are operating at such a high level now, and so often, maybe it will happen more and they'll have to do something about it

When you say 'luck of the draw' of course I get that if it is something really random - like rain, obviously, or injuries during a match. But I don't think this was bad luck. IMHO (and people like McEnroe as well) these players should never have been on the court, aggravated existing bad injuries, and they admitted afterwards that they knew there was a risk this could happen.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
It's really simple. For normal ATP events you can withdraw in advance and keep your prize money but allow the place to go to someone else. In grand slams, where the amounts are bigger, you forfeit the money. So the incentive to play without really giving a shit is there on a plate. If the players can't be trusted to do the right thing, then it must be imposed on them.

I don't really follow tennis; why should people keep prize money for not playing?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
That Sun link ....... wwwwoooooowwwww !!!!! :clap:

At least the Mirror went with the pretence of using action photos, to get their quota of fit bird images.

The Sun use 6 bikini / party frock shots presumably cribbed from her instagram account before popping in one single tennis image (carefully selecting one where her PANTS are on show). #RouteOne

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I don't really follow tennis; why should people keep prize money for not playing?

I'd be with you on that one but it seems players would kick up hell. Withdraw and lose half of it was being suggested yesterday.

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
I'd be with you on that one but it seems players would kick up hell. Withdraw and lose half of it was being suggested yesterday.

But even then you are talking about 17k. For that amount of money it is worth 'giving it a go' as you might be alright. The problem is the amount of money, it is too much to turn down for a low level player.

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Amazing and fairly surreal day at Wimbledon yesterday - the authorities have caused a lot of trouble for themselves with their first-round player prize money policy, and it all came to roost on Tuesday as some of you may have seen.

I think the thing to bear in mind here is value for money for a paying punter, and the show/experience of what is supposed to be the greatest tennis show on earth.

I had a ticket for Centre Court yesterday - bought it on Ticketmaster on Monday at 9am after queuing online for an hour, as anyone can do for the small number released every day. Felt very lucky, lifelong sporting ambition to see Federer on Centre Court before he packs it in, Djokovic too, and women's world No1 Kerber.

Now genuine injuries during a match are one thing, but players carrying serious injuries into a match against an all-time great on Centre Court with no realistic prospect of finishing, but refusing to pull out and lose £35,000, and denying someone else a chance who would at least have completed the match, is farcical.

Not once, but twice in 80 minutes this happened on Centre Court. And then twice more later on 16 and 17, both of which I also saw. I'll say that Feliciano Lopez on 16 around 8pm did get injured during the match, but since he had played for two and a half losing sets with it, he could/should have finished.

But of the others, three yesterday were not fit to play, and in the case of Klizan and Dolgopolov on Centre, they have ruined a great spectacle and damaged the brand of the sport and the tournament. With the best will in the world, people haven't come to see them, they have come to see Federer and Djokovic play a complete match, and/or a good match, and they have ruined it through pure self-interest.

For extra fun, the announcer said after the first retirement that the Federer match would start in 75 mins. Many fans left (luckily not me) and so missed the only set of that match when it started at 3.55, not 4.55.

And I thought this before seeing any of the Federer/Djokovic comments saying pretty much the same thing.

As if four retirements in men's matches wasn't enough, I also watched a set of the Tomic match. You may have seen the interview, he was a disgrace on court, just didn't care and didn't try. He and Kyrgios have obviously been spending too much time together.

With some match-fixing problems lower down, and a growing issue with players 'tanking' even before this, tennis needs to get its act together.

### TRIGGER WARNING - AN OFFENSIVE VIEWPOINT IS ABOUT TO BE EXPRESSED ###

That's you fault for following a sport which is really only of interest to women and poofs! :thumbsup:

### END OF WARNING ###

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003

Now genuine injuries during a match are one thing, but players carrying serious injuries into a match against an all-time great on Centre Court with no realistic prospect of finishing, but refusing to pull out and lose £35,000, and denying someone else a chance who would at least have completed the match, is farcical.[snip]

I paid £75/80 to see Federer SPANK Murray 6-0 6-1 in the ATP a few years back.

Was actually willing it to be 6-0, 6-0 so at least I'd witness a bit of history.

But, no, it was just shite. Won't be heading back.

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
It's all about the golf... Paige Spiranac :love:

Capture.JPG

Looks to be a good up and coming golfer too

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I have solution. If the umpire suspects foul play he can call for the "Lie Detector" machine to be brought out on court where - in front of the assembled masses -the accused is hooked up and quizzed on their injury via a series of quick-fire questions from guest panel comprised of Claude Littner, Jeremy Paxman and Andrew Neil.

If the test is failed then the accused not only forfeits his match fee but will be blindfolded, have his hands tied behind his back, then endure a barrage of 10 first serves from his opponent.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I have solution. If the umpire suspects foul play he can call for the "Lie Detector" machine to be brought out on court where - in front of the assembled masses -the accused is hooked up and quizzed on their injury via a series of quick-fire questions from guest panel comprised of Claude Littner, Jeremy Paxman and Andrew Neil.

If the test is failed then the accused not only forfeits his match fee but will be blindfolded, have his hands tied behind his back, then endure a barrage of 10 first serves from his opponent.

Jeremy Kyle in the Dermot O'Leary role: "Shall we get him on the lie detector? You bet. Let's see just what a fraudulent scumbag you really are. "

(Centre Court crowd wondering who Kyle is)

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Jeremy Kyle in the Dermot O'Leary role: "Shall we get him on the lie detector? You bet. Let's see just what a fraudulent scumbag you really are. "

(Centre Court crowd wondering who Kyle is)

The potential for a phone vote here is huge. And advertising - "Wimbledon Lie Detector is sponsored by Volkwagen - for a cleaner engine". And maybe finish off by making the guilty party run the gauntlet of Henman Hill / Murray Mount to be pelted with strawberries and doused in Pimms?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here