Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How much longer are the Albion tied in with Amex?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Both in stadium name and shirt sponsors?

Have we signed a new improved Premier League deal yet or are we looking at bigger ( more lucrative) fish now? :wink:

Have we signed a new improved Premier League deal yet or are we looking at bigger ( more lucrative) fish now? :wink:

Why whats wrong with them? No doubt their sponsorship has been way in excess of previous sponsors considering theyve been with us since day 1 in Falmer. Amex is after all stil ll perceived as a luxury product. What do you propose? The Diners Club stadium? :)

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
I think it is a great tie in with a 'local' company. And this year it will certainly bring them plenty of exposure. Sure other companies (betting sites) have had words with uncle Tony over the summer break.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy

It's either 2020 or 2021 that the stadium deal expires, money was paid in tranches up front so no change on the front now.... Not so sure on the kit deal front

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
You don't get much bigger than Amex. I'm certainly happy for them to continue sponsoring us for the foreseeable, being as I don't want the stadium renamed (I'll ALWAYS know it as the Amex regardless). Plus with them sponsoring the shirt, we haven't got a horrific great splodge of Mandarin script plastered all over the front of our shirts. Because without exception, that looks utter DOGSHIT. Just check out the state of Palace's effort this year.

Ugh.

Kaiser_Soze

Who is Kaiser Soze??
Apr 14, 2008
I really hope we retain Amex as the stadium sponser. For me they're synonymous with the stadium, a bit like Arsenal and the Emirates. The fact they have a big local presence is a bonus. I would be disappointed if we ended up renaming the stadium every 3-5 years due to sponsorship changes.

I really hope we retain Amex as the stadium sponser. For me they're synonymous with the stadium, a bit like Arsenal and the Emirates. The fact they have a big local presence is a bonus. I would be disappointed if we ended up renaming the stadium every 3-5 years due to sponsorship changes.

Problem is, a point i laboured years ago when the announcement was made, which I was shot down for is that I'm against naming rights for stadia, the money involved is relatively small compared to what is on offer after a few seasons in the Premier League. Also it's only luck that we've ended up with a short catchy name such as Amex, whose up next when Amex expires? china national petroleum? Gazprom? Ryan Air? Rampion Wind Farm Industries?

Kaiser_Soze

Who is Kaiser Soze??
Apr 14, 2008
Problem is, a point i laboured years ago when the announcement was made, which I was shot down for is that I'm against naming rights for stadia, the money involved is relatively small compared to what is on offer after a few seasons in the Premier League. Also it's only luck that we've ended up with a short catchy name such as Amex, whose up next when Amex expires? china national petroleum? Gazprom? Ryan Air? Rampion Wind Farm Industries?

I'm also against naming rights for stadiums, however, we already have corporate sponsorship. I would prefer to retain that name even if it meant that we received less from Amex than other interested parties.

Alba Badger

Mar 14, 2016
Straight outta Felpham

Tampax

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
Amex are huge and well known; the premier league would be great exposure for them and would be willing to pay a little more. Also, they're not tinpot like all the identical Chinese betting firms

clarkey

Jan 3, 2006
Strangely my brain doesn't perceive Amex, Emirates, Etihad as advertising. I see them as stadium names, as they've been there pretty much since the start. Also the words are quite nice.

Places like the John Smiths Stadium and Bet365 Stadium, on the other hand, I think are a disgrace.

Strangely my brain doesn't perceive Amex, Emirates, Etihad as advertising. I see them as stadium names, as they've been there pretty much since the start. Also the words are quite nice.

Places like the John Smiths Stadium and Bet365 Stadium, on the other hand, I think are a disgrace.

My point indeed, it's not all about the money, sometimes it's just not worth it

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
Plus with them sponsoring the shirt, we haven't got a horrific great splodge of Mandarin script plastered all over the front of our shirts. Because without exception, that looks utter DOGSHIT. Just check out the state of Palace's effort this year.

Ugh.

Hard to argue with that, the sponsors logo looks utterly hideous.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Those sound okay, because, as you say, they were the original* (sort of) names of those grounds (ignoring that the Etihad didn't start as a football ground, and that the others had 'Falmer' and 'Ashburton' pre-naming monikers).

Its the REnamed ones that grate (McAlpine > Galpharm > John Smiths, Reebok > Macron, etc).

Crappy

D

Deleted member 2719

I agree i always saw marlboro mclaren and John player special as racing teams not a packet of fags.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here