Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Things you like about the Yanks

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Their big day innit, the 4th of July. Despite their thick as shit President, their obsession with race, the mangling of the English language, their weird way of writing the month before the day, Adam Sandler, their 'thing' with guns and their whooping when polite clapping would suffice, there's lots to like about them.

Music has to be a big plus: Blues, Rock n Roll, country (we gave them that), soul, funk, The Pixies, Blondie, Public Enemy, Elliott Smith, Elvis, Billie Holliday, Madonna, Dylan. That's not too shabby a list in itself.

TV gave us The Monkees, The Muppets, Breaking Bad, Family Guy, Tucker Carlson (a guilty pleasure of mine).

Films: David Lynch, Coen Brothers, Orson Welles, Star Wars, The Goonies, Francis Ford Copella, Sam Wannamaker, Bogart and Bacall.

Politics: Kennedy, Lincoln, Roosevelt (both of them), Luther King

Literature: Angelou, Bukowski, Twain, Hunter S Thomson, Hemingway, Steinbeck, Lovecraft.

They're not so bad.

Last edited:

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Coca cola and their food are probably the only good things about yanks,

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Their ability to yak on and on about sport. Just over halfway through the NFL offseason and I am still getting great entertainment out of the Around the NFL podcast. Even when there are no games on thet can keep the sport alive.

Love me some American football, pro and college.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
We called it soccer before they did.

Association Football -> Assoc -> Soccer -> Football.

It was almost certainly posh boy, public school slang though to differentiate between rugby and football and that's why it has always sounded wrong and why we and the rest of the world say 'football'. It's FIFA, EUFA, CONCACAF, FA, OFC, CAF. All those letter Fs and not a single letter S in sight.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Saved by the Bell, and that I couldn't understand anything said to me in a Washington Starbucks, which turned out to be about cup size. Oh, and a hotel in a Manhattan that didn't argue with the statement made that a vast, unflushable plop was already in the toilet of the room I was to stay in, in spite of the fact that I laid that monster a mere 5 minutes into my stay.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
invention of the transistor has been pretty useful.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Americans I have meet were on the whole nice and polite, yet some Americans are not so nice being racist gun toting loons

What I like most is they are over there while we are over here

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here