Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Love supreme concert

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
The best concert so far a sell out and all ages having a great time.
Well organised but a did feel they pushed all the prices up I understand that they may have made a profit for the first time. The Jacksons had the places rocking Saturday Night and on Sunday St Paul and the Brocken bones were very good.
I was told it was approx 28,000.
Anyone else go.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Not my bag but fantastic weather for it and I hope Jermaine's plastic surgery didn't melt in the heat. The Jacksons playing Lewes is almost as surreal a concept as Brian Wilson playing Preston Park last year. Glad it was a good one.

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

Yep, I went on Saturday - 1st time at it. Not a huge jazz enthusiast, but there was enough to keep me going.. Really enjoyed Corinne Bailey Rae and earlier, Mica Paris singing Ella Fitzgerald..but the Jacksons were just brilliant and it was surreal to think that we were watching one of the biggest acts of all time in a field in Sussex. Herbie Hancock reminded me why I am not a huge jazz enthusiast - I tried but just couldn't get it! Great day though and really nice atmosphere, but I agree the prices were just a bit OTT..

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
The best concert so far a sell out and all ages having a great time.
Well organised but a did feel they pushed all the prices up I understand that they may have made a profit for the first time. The Jacksons had the places rocking Saturday Night and on Sunday St Paul and the Brocken bones were very good.
I was told it was approx 28,000.
Anyone else go.

Seen St Paul a few times. Just love them. The lead singer is amazing; though you spend 2 minutes wondering what Alan Carr is doing up on a stage with a Southern Soul band. That feeling disappears as soon as he starts singing though.

Last edited:

afters

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove
It was all audible for free for us residents of Bracknell Towers. All we had to do was keep the windows open.

And it sounded very good.

it was excellent as ever, i've been every year now. it seems to have overcome those early years of will/ won't it make it and is now settled as one of the best events of its type in the UK. drink and food prices outrageous as ever but comes with the event i guess.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Have to say there was even plenty for me to have enjoyed at LS this weekend, it looked a splendid line-up. Too close to Glastonbury for me to attend though.

I'm glad it does seem to have estabished itself now and can continue to book stellar line-ups in the future.

TheOldGirl

Jul 24, 2013
Saltdean
We went Sunday and wished we had gone for the whole weekend, it was so good. My favorite bit I think aside from Gregory Porter or Hot 8 was a mass outbreak of The Shuffle to George Bensons 'On Broadway'

afters

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove
Have to say there was even plenty for me to have enjoyed at LS this weekend, it looked a splendid line-up. Too close to Glastonbury for me to attend though.

I'm glad it does seem to have estabished itself now and can continue to book stellar line-ups in the future.

they are looking to expand by another 6 fields for next year, so even larger. strangely, and maybe because it's so close to home, it doesn't feel like the big event it is

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
they are looking to expand by another 6 fields for next year, so even larger. strangely, and maybe because it's so close to home, it doesn't feel like the big event it is

As long as they do not dilute the event. I think it is a great addition to the festival mix in this country as other music genres are so well catered for elsewhere, fab that it's local too.

Exciting times if they feel they can expand it successfully.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Went there on Sunday with the family, first time for all of us.

Really loved it. Despite being a sell-out you don't feel too hemmed in and the queues for food and drink aren't bad at all. We burned through £200 just on food and drink and none of us had anything particularly exotic, so as has already been observed, it's not a cheap day but it does come with the territory.

I'm no jazz/funk/soul aficianado as such but I made some fantastic discoveries. Including Nubiyan Twist, who I'm listening to now on Spotify. Definitely going again next year.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
As long as they do not dilute the event. I think it is a great addition to the festival mix in this country as other music genres are so well catered for elsewhere, fab that it's local too.

Exciting times if they feel they can expand it successfully.

Well I assume as there is no Glastonbury next year, they may try to attract the glasto crowd.

Didn't realise Gregory porter was playing, we would have went.

We did paddle round the pier and there were a few really good bands playing...there are some brilliant young artists out there. Also does anyone else go along to the brighton music hall place on the seafront by riddle and finns? There are some extremely talented people play there...and the atmosphere is brilliant when you get loads of people dancing and singing along.

I love brighton and Hove !

SockMonster

Oct 12, 2007
Brighton
Went there on Sunday with the family, first time for all of us.

Really loved it. Despite being a sell-out you don't feel too hemmed in and the queues for food and drink aren't bad at all. We burned through £200 just on food and drink and none of us had anything particularly exotic, so as has already been observed, it's not a cheap day but it does come with the territory.

I'm no jazz/funk/soul aficianado as such but I made some fantastic discoveries. Including Nubiyan Twist, who I'm listening to now on Spotify. Definitely going again next year.

Just back as well from camping and we also burned about £200. Stupidly expensive but very good festival. George Benson was my favourite, closely followed by St Paul. Thought the Jacksons were great but felt like a very "commercial" performance if you know what I mean. I hated the recorded bit before Gregory Porter bigging him up etc. Not needed. George Benson was just introduced and did his stuff.
One very sour note. My friends were among a large number of campers who suffered robberies from there tents while they slept! Little kids in there with them. Some very angry people. Rumours as well that one guy awoke to find three guys trying to nick stuff and when he challenged them they attacked him. More than 40 tents robbed on Friday night. Not nice.

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
Just back as well from camping and we also burned about £200. Stupidly expensive but very good festival. George Benson was my favourite, closely followed by St Paul. Thought the Jacksons were great but felt like a very "commercial" performance if you know what I mean. I hated the recorded bit before Gregory Porter bigging him up etc. Not needed. George Benson was just introduced and did his stuff.
One very sour note. My friends were among a large number of campers who suffered robberies from there tents while they slept! Little kids in there with them. Some very angry people. Rumours as well that one guy awoke to find three guys trying to nick stuff and when he challenged them they attacked him. More than 40 tents robbed on Friday night. Not nice.

Didnt hear about that myself but luckily no one in our group had any trouble. Great again this year and hope they dont over expand next year as the size is part of the attraction for me.

Was not expecting anything from the Jacksons and as such I really enjoyed the performance.

Looking forward to next year already

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there

Not suggesting for one minute that your information is inaccurate but it's odd this doesn't seem to have been reported anywhere. Presumably your friend contacted the police? I wonder why this hasn't even appeared on Twitter, as far as I can see.

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
I've been every year but usually just take in one day. On paper this (to me) was the strongest line up the promoters have put together; so much so, me and my mate bought day tickets for both days. It's a great festival, usually well organised and has a really good feel about it. i agree with others views about the rip off prices of food and drink. I hope it does not lose it's uniqueness as it continues to grow and expand. When it first started it seemed to attract a good range of people who were there because of the music. This year seemed to attract a similar music crowd but also loads of people who were just there because they think they should be. The price of success perhaps.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I like success stories like this.

Numerous folk have mentioned the expensive drinks and food. Out of interest what sort or prices did they have? Exactly much was a beer? Food etc.

SockMonster

Oct 12, 2007
Brighton
Not suggesting for one minute that your information is inaccurate but it's odd this doesn't seem to have been reported anywhere. Presumably your friend contacted the police? I wonder why this hasn't even appeared on Twitter, as far as I can see.

I can tell you categorically this happened. Friday night. My friends had a phone and wallet nicked. I was with them when they reported to Welfare and security onsite. Saw three other family's reporting at same time with similar story. The number of robberies was then mentioned but I cannot corroborate the figure but heresay suggested 42. Guess not everything ends up on twitter!

SockMonster

Oct 12, 2007
Brighton
I like success stories like this.

Numerous folk have mentioned the expensive drinks and food. Out of interest what sort or prices did they have? Exactly much was a beer? Food etc.

Beer was around 5/6. Almost anything you ate started at around £6 and went up to 11/12. e.g burger £7, fish curry £9, etc. You not supposed to take any food into the festival as well

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here