Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Staying in the Prem - it's a squad game

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patreon
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Obviously goals are critical to stay in the prem, but I suspect the promoted teams that survive are the ones with the strongest back up players.

We'll get more injuries, bookings and stretch than some of the bigger teams. The way we handle that will determine our season. Do you think we'll have the squad to deal with it?

Brian Parsons

May 16, 2013
Bicester, Oxfordshire.
I personally would say no. I think our back row and midfield have the necessary cover but I worry about our strike force. There does not at the moment appear to be a rush to sign a recognised striker haven't heard of any rumours, nothing. I know it's early days and I'll laugh at myself come the start of the season.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
Good team togetherness is what we need.* We had it in spades over the last 2 years, let's see more of the same please.

*With a healthy dose of quality in there too, please.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Our current squad are used to many more games than they will get in the Prem so maybe we don't need such a big squad after all. It's not like we will have all those European games to contend with

Not this coming season, anyway.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
We had seven players last season who were long time injured: Kayal, Hünemeier, Rosenior, March, Bong, Goldson, Lualua. and others that missed lots of games, Baldock, Duffy etc. and Dale Stephens did not play at full capacity before Christmas.

Long time injured players can be a big handicap as it takes varying degrees of difficulty of getting back into match form.

As in the end we had quite an easy passage compared to other promotions, my conclusion is that we have such a strong squad (much stronger than Newcastle) that we will have to release good players if we sign any more than the required positions of left back and second striker.

A left-sided defensive midfielder and central defender could very well make us even stronger so three quarters of the Premier League might have to watch out. We will be hard to beat. Not sure where the goals are going to come from though? Glenn Murray looks only good for an hour in home matches and Baldock might not be quick enough or have enough guile or composure in front of goal.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Our current striker force is weak for this division and not good enough to keep us up. It's absolutely vital to improve in this area

chrispyk

May 4, 2016
Charlotte, NC
I personally would say no. I think our back row and midfield have the necessary cover but I worry about our strike force. There does not at the moment appear to be a rush to sign a recognised striker haven't heard of any rumours, nothing. I know it's early days and I'll laugh at myself come the start of the season.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

I think we've got many striker targets lined up and it's just a matter of time before we get a deal made. Of course we all want to hear more rumors of random players but we always make deals with players without any news being leaked so I'm sure we'll get a deal done in the coming weeks.

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
As much as it is vital we add to our strike force I feel it is equally vital we get a large majority of our signings in before the 1st fixture. If we do too many late transfer window deals we have missed a chunk of our winnable points start to the season we've been handed (Man City aside)

WonderingSoton

Dec 3, 2014
Get a first choice strike force sorted out first, then look at the depth elsewhere. 'Only as good as your strikers' and all that.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
Get a first choice strike force sorted out first, then look at the depth elsewhere. 'Only as good as your strikers' and all that.

Really ? The club are looking at centre mids, a left back, possibly a winger, and another goalkeeper this summer to go with Ryan (GK) and Gross who is going to play as a #10.

Are you saying they should (have) stopped all that until they've signed a striker. ?

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
As much as it is vital we add to our strike force I feel it is equally vital we get a large majority of our signings in before the 1st fixture. If we do too many late transfer window deals we have missed a chunk of our winnable points start to the season we've been handed (Man City aside)

Would you have preferred us not hanging on to get Shane Duffy last season and gave up and brought in someone else instead because he was signed after the start of the season ?

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
I I worry about our strike force. There does not at the moment appear to be a rush to sign a recognised striker haven't heard of any rumours, nothing. I know it's early days and I'll laugh at myself come the start of the season.

we seemed v. keen indeed on Abraham and publicly admitted so. Does he count ?

The Fish

Exiled Geordie
Jan 5, 2017
Our current squad are used to many more games than they will get in the Prem so maybe we don't need such a big squad after all. It's not like we will have all those European games to contend with

Your team will have to work a lot harder this coming season. You won't have the ball half as much as you did in the Championship. The players you're chasing will be faster and fitter. With that exertion will come more injuries.

It's paradoxical; you need a settled, consistent 11, but players waiting in the wings, ready to slot straight in.

May 24, 2017
Obviously goals are critical to stay in the prem, but I suspect the promoted teams that survive are the ones with the strongest back up players.

We'll get more injuries, bookings and stretch than some of the bigger teams. The way we handle that will determine our season. Do you think we'll have the squad to deal with it?

Can we have no more of these depressingly negative threads please.......it's fairly obvious that the OP knew the answer to the question along with everyone else......it really isn't good for morale imo.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here