Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Setting off shop alarms

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Nearly every time I walk into and out of a Tesco or Co-op I set the alarm off.

I'm not shoplifting nor am I wearing any clothing that still has a security tag on it.

What is it that I have about my person that is likely to be doing it? Surely it can't be phone or bank cards as most people have these, yet most people don't seem to set the alarms off.

Alba Badger

Mar 14, 2016
Straight outta Felpham
Do you have your season ticket card in your wallet? I used to have mine and my boys ones in my wallet and it would almost always set off alarms in shops. If I separated them in different sections of my wallet it seemed to stop it happening.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Do you have your season ticket card in your wallet? I used to have mine and my boys ones in my wallet and it would almost always set off alarms in shops. If I separated them in different sections of my wallet it seemed to stop it happening.

I always have two in my wallet, yes.

However I'll add that my partner also often sets the alarms off and doesn't carry an Albion season ticket with her.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I set off the alarm in a Super U in France, which I put down to carrying both passports in my shoulder bag.

Skint Gull

Jul 27, 2003
Watchin the boats go by
Bozza I used to have the exact same problem, I particular, every Tesco or Next store. I was advised by a temporary security guard at my local Tesco that it would be credit cards, where they were stacked together and the chips were touching each other. Literally, never had the problem since...

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Goring-by-Seagull

Jan 5, 2012
There are some items (cheese and mince normally do it for me) that have security tags on that won't be deactivated if I use self service

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
IMG_0763.PNG

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Why worry, everyone seems to ignore them and keep walking out, and no shop employees seem to challenge you anyway.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Years back when I worked in a leading high street store we had one female member of staff who was particularly annoying. She often wore a denim jacket to work and this jacket had a huge number of small ticket size pockets as was the fashion at the time. It was quite easy work to get hold of one of the store security tags, those little white bar shaped ones about 4mm x 20mm long and slip it in to the smallest most obscure of her jacket pockets......

Lo, whenever she walked in or out of the store ( and others in town ) she would set the alarms off, I think it was about 3 weeks before she found it.

Poyningsgull

Apr 12, 2007

I'm not shoplifting nor am I wearing any clothing that still has a security tag on it.

Yea sure. Just admit your a tea leaf and move on.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Slightly OS but about the WiFi. I was informed that new cars have chips that 'talk' to the dealership every time you drive by, giving info on any services you've had and other things. Is this true?

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Why worry, everyone seems to ignore them and keep walking out, and no shop employees seem to challenge you anyway.
Why not ignore them when you haven't taken anything ? It's their problem if their scanning is faulty.

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.

What is it that I have about my person that is likely to be doing it? Surely it can't be phone or bank cards as most people have these, yet most people don't seem to set the alarms off.

Used to happen to me all the time.

Security guard mentioned I might have too many cards in my wallet (Not specifically season tickets although I did have more than one in there)took a bunch out and it doesn't happen any more.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
There are some items (cheese and mince normally do it for me) that have security tags on that won't be deactivated if I use self service

Where do you live/shop if the cheese and mince have tags on?:eek:

To Bozza, are you sure that there not any bar code style paper tags hidden in your clothing? These can be self adhesive and very difficult to find if stuck to the outside of a pocket lining on the inside of a jacket for instance.

Last edited:

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
Because I have several joint replacements I always set the alarms off at airports & Eurostar security checkpoints etc. As a result I often get treated like a potential terrorist.
That can be quite annoying.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here