Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Barry Norman RIP

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Still call the programme Film 86 when its on as I still subconsciously associate it with BN. Although I rarely watch it nowadays. Hardly ever missed it during his tenure.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
RIP Barry, another sad loss.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
He was film reviewing when i was growing up. Nowadays i wouldn't even know who was bbc tv film person. Do they still do that show?

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
He was film reviewing when i was growing up. Nowadays i wouldn't even know who was bbc tv film person. Do they still do that show?

Mark Kermode I believe - as soon as his programme with Simon Mayo comes on Radio Five Live I reach for the selector switch.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
R.I.P - Barry Norman - the doyen of British film critics.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Mark Kermode I believe - as soon as his programme with Simon Mayo comes on Radio Five Live I reach for the selector switch.
Kermode doesn't do the Barry Norman programme. He was succeeded by Johnathon Ross who was followed by Claudia Winkleman. Since she left they haven't had anyone permanent, only a rotation of guest presenters. I actually like the Mark Kermode film review slot on radio 5. I also used to quite enjoy Alex Cox's Moviedrome review slot that he used to do on BBC2 prior to televising a supposedly cult movie you'd never heard of. He'd be raving about it so much that you were compelled to watch it thinking this sounds like it'll be really good. At the end of the film you'd be sat there thinking "that's an hour and a half of my life i'll never get back" but it didn't stop me going back for more. I fell for it every week but in some ways that was all part of the entertainment.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Claudia Winkleman did it and was truly awful. Utterly unwatchable. After a couple of episodes they started bringing in additional "commentators" who basically ran the show for her. She's now left. Thank goodness.

Loved watching it with Barry Norman and then JR but it went very downhill after that.

RIP BN.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Nothing wrong with Mark Kermode who is a proper film buff but another bit of my youth has just died, used to be one of my 'must watch' shows, if only for BN's dry humour as he shredded a crap Blockbuster movie.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Nothing wrong with Mark Kermode who is a proper film buff but another bit of my youth has just died, used to be one of my 'must watch' shows, if only for BN's dry humour as he shredded a crap Blockbuster movie.

I find Kermode boring - he's put me off going to see new movies. :ohmy:

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
RIP Barry.

I like the film review on 5live, but find the whole "good doctor" and "church" stuff vomit inducing (not literally).

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Sad news.....meanwhile, the Mail surpasses it's usual level of shiteness

0d7bfec469b2236d73052b91a7d97a40.jpg

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports