Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone been to Fiji?

BevBHA

Jan 23, 2017
bit of a long shot as it's so far away.

Depart for Fiji next week to do 2 weeks voluntary work restoring a school/building fresh water tanks and staying with a host family in a rural village.

Then have another week holiday there after to ourselves.

Any suggestions as to what to do/where to stay?

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
Went there twice with the RAF, stayed at Sheraton Denarau resort, cant remember a lot happening in the towns, we went out on a boat and had a BBQ at a desert type island ( cooked by locals) and drunk some local brew (KAVA) which was very strong...

Apart from that the beaches at the hotel and the hotel pool were good and as we were only there for a few days before going back to Aus we were happy not to explore to far.

CAnt help any more but thanks to the Tax payer for my time in the RAF and chiefs for holding exercises in places like Fiji and Tonga.

Commander

NSC Patreon
Apr 28, 2004
London
I've been twice. There's nothing to do. It's fantastic. Drink Fiji bitter and swim in amazing water with amazing coral and fish. Bula!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Not me but Mrs Chopper has and she has been just about everywhere else as well.
I just asked her and she said she loved it, very unspoilt, people seem to head to Tahiti for some reason (maybe the exotic name) but she thought that Fiji was better.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Stayed at Mana Island resort nearly 30 years ago and it was idyllic (as long as you're in to beach holidays)

heathgate

NSC Patreon
Apr 13, 2015

Depart for Fiji next week to do 2 weeks voluntary work restoring a school/building fresh water tanks and staying with a host family in a rural village.

Yep.. spent a week there... take the Seaspray trip to outer islands... splendid... bbq on board, free beer and wine. ... or book a few days at the Shangri-la resort Yanuca... perfect environment.. safe bay... no sharks...

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

BevBHA

Jan 23, 2017
Thank you I will take your suggestions onboard and do some more research! Definitely going to fish and snorkel though

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013

:angel:

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Went to Fiji on the penultimate leg of my backpacking rtw trip. This was 1998 though. Took a small boat trip out to the small islands and slept on the beach in a tent. Fantastic beachcombing, hiking and fishing. Lovely, lovely people. Very relaxing. Spent ages finding a good quality small kava bowl and still use it every day to hold my change. The kava is interesting stuff aswell.... There was a violent coup after I left, which really surprised me. Hope is still remains an awesome place. In some ways would love to go back, in other ways it couldn't be any better than my first visit.

Bring back Bryan wade!!

I wanna caravan for me ma
Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks
Dependant on budget we went to Fiji on our honeymoon and stayed at Likuliku resort & spa. Stunning island and hotel.

BevBHA

Jan 23, 2017
Went to Fiji on the penultimate leg of my backpacking rtw trip. This was 1998 though. Took a small boat trip out to the small islands and slept on the beach in a tent. Fantastic beachcombing, hiking and fishing. Lovely, lovely people. Very relaxing. Spent ages finding a good quality small kava bowl and still use it every day to hold my change. The kava is interesting stuff aswell.... There was a violent coup after I left, which really surprised me. Hope is still remains an awesome place. In some ways would love to go back, in other ways it couldn't be any better than my first visit.

What is Kava like taste wise? (Assuming you tried it) - I have to do a welcome ceremony into the village and have to try some not sure what to expect!

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
What is Kava like taste wise? (Assuming you tried it) - I have to do a welcome ceremony into the village and have to try some not sure what to expect!

Depends how you like the taste of muddy water I guess! It's not a great taste, what they call acquired, however it's not that offensive. I visited a village and sat and had some with them, by third cup my face was numb but other than that (and a following good nights sleep) it was alrighty.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Spent 8 days there when went travelling early noughties, quite simply the best place ever been to: the diving, the blue seas, the peace and the remoteness. I took a JFK moment picture in my head and I can see it now when I close my eyes, as I bounced along on the waves in the vast S.Pacific ocean early one morning with a dolphin speeding alongside the Rib, almost touching distance. I thought 'remember this, life won't get any better. And do you know what, it hasn't! I truly felt top of the world, fortunate doesn't do it justice, a privilege to visit and a special place. Incredible marine life and the most chilled and welcoming people I've ever met.

BevBHA

Jan 23, 2017
Spent 8 days there when went travelling early noughties, quite simply the best place ever been to: the diving, the blue seas, the peace and the remoteness. I took a JFK moment picture in my head and I can see it now when I close my eyes, as I bounced along on the waves in the vast S.Pacific ocean early one morning with a dolphin speeding alongside the Rib, almost touching distance. I thought 'remember this, life won't get any better. And do you know what, it hasn't! I truly felt top of the world, fortunate doesn't do it justice, a privilege to visit and a special place. Incredible marine life and the most chilled and welcoming people I've ever met.

Even more excited now! Great read, thank you. Hopefully it's not been spoilt, I'm sure it hasn't!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here