Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Losing your rag and ranting at a player

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
What's your worst/best times when you've lost all reason and screamed at a player or manager. A few times I remember:

Ryan Harley at Reading away, Boxing Day a few years back. We were 3-0 down, Harley had done nothing all game and then late on Bridcutt (I think) had the ball in the their left hand corner but surrounded by 2 Reading players. Harley was stood on the penalty spot waving his arms and shouting for Bridcutt to pass it to him. It was nigh on impossible for Bridcutt to get the ball in and Harley knew this and was just going through the motions of pretending to give a stuff about the match. He really was one of the laziest players ever to wear a Brighton shirt. When the ball went out for a goal kick, Harley waved his arm angrily at Bridcutt and it was at that point that I finally snapped. I shot down the steps to the bit by the pitch and called Harley all the names under the sun. I can't be sure if he did swear back but I thought he had and I upped the abuse to 11. Took me weeks to calm down.

CMS at the Amex in I think the second season there. For the umpteenth time he'd raced down the pitch attacking the South Stand end and his first touch put the ball away for a throw-in. I'd been pissed off with him for ages and unusually for an Amex game, I was very drunk so when he'd proven once again that he was no better than Alex Revell, that poor first touch was the cue for me to get out of my seat and launch a full-on sweary rant with me blathering on about never wanting to see him play for us again. Still gets mentioned by those who sit near me.

The Southampton away game where Taricco got sent off for telling the ref what he thought of the penalty given for a challenge yards outside. All our group of 5 or 6 went mental about it. We attracted the attention of the police and stewards so left sharpish.

Micky Adams MkII at Withdean. A dreadful game, not sure who against probably against Cheltenham (there was a time when we always seemed to be playing them) but we'd scored late on so just needed to hang on for 10 minutes for a vital win. At that time, we couldn't defend a lead if our lives depended on it but rather than keep attacking, Micky substituted a striker for a defender and the team then sat back as the opposition gratefully accepted the invitation to test our fragile defence. Inevitably they scored and I went bat-shit mental at Adams. The only reason I didn't get chucked out was that so many other dads were doing the same.

I was also there at Brentford when Brighton fans were raging against Murray for not acknowledging them as he left the pitch. That was a sight to behold.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Only twice really badly, once at Robert Codner, the other at Gary Gardner.

Both times perceived lack of effort.

Normally I reserve my frustration for match officials.
Gardner

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Richie Barker - couldn't strike a match. Trading standards bad.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Blimey, Buzz.
I had you down as a fairly level-headed, genial kind of chap.
[MENTION=3761]El Turi[/MENTION] will attest to my frequent rants about Mark Walton and Mickey Bennett.

It's been a long time since I hated a current Albion player though. Except Kemi. He was a ****.

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
Colunga when he got sent off for a stupid challenge in the last minute when we were 2-1 down, then proceeded to slowly walk off the pitch.. First and only time I've completely lost it at an Albion player. :angry:

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Three Times at ankergren, once against Leeds when he booted it up the pitch instead of keeping the ball, forest away when he dropped it through his hands and made it 2-2 in the last minute, and finally at Lincoln away where he came on a preceded to not actually do anything at all, "Make The F****** call was the line I think. Finally I went mental at someone for taking "another F****** short corner" at port vale away for Ince to pop up and score from it.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I had a stand up row with Justin Edinburgh when saint Calde snapped Byron Anthony's ankle in a 50/50.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Rarely rant but my brother and I let Leon Best have it with both barrels when he was substituted (Probably his last game at the Amex).

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Micheal Mahoney Johnson coming off the field at Gillingham , worst performance I've seen in an Albion shirt. Told him to wear the shirt with pride or fvck off.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
I was down near the front at Selhurst for the game we don't talk about. I remember going absolutely ballistic at Paul Brooker for being useless and not getting stuck in. He then went and gave away a penalty and got himself sent off. I still feel partly responsible.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
Believe it or not - as he did redeem himself over the next two years - David Stockdale after his latest calamitous mix-up, this one with Lewis Dunk against Cardiff allowing Kenwynne Jones and easy tap in.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Jamie Moralee, Chester away, January 1999

They were woeful, we were just as bad. Moralee ponced about for 88 minutes without breaking into a sweat or getting within ten yards of the ball.

He then went down like a sack of spuds at our end and the ref generously awarded us a penalty. Moralee got up and started kissing the badge. I lost my shit, went haring down the terrace and called him every name under the sun for being a lazy cheating **** who was taking our money and taking the piss.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here