Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sex offender treatment in prison scrapped as it does not work.... Surprised ?

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
The main sex offender treatment programme for England and Wales has been scrapped after a report found it led to more reoffending.
Researchers found prisoners completing the programme were slightly more likely to offend than a control group.
The Ministry of Justice (MOJ) replaced the scheme in March after research confirmed evidence of its weaknesses.
The main programme to psychologically treat the highest-risk offenders has also been replaced, the ministry said.
The MOJ confirmed the change in treating sex offenders following publication on Friday of its own study which suggested the Core Sex Offender Treatment Programme (SOTP) could be making the situation worse.

The scheme, designed to challenge the behaviour of male sex offenders with psychological techniques to change their thinking, was first approved in 1992.
Researchers followed what happened to 2,562 prisoners who took part in the 180 hours of group sessions before their later release from prison.
They then compared their behaviour over the following years with more than 13,000 comparable offenders.
"More treated sex offenders committed at least one sexual re-offence [excluding breach of conditions of release] during the follow-up period when compared with the matched comparison offenders (10% compared with 8%)," said the study.
"More treated sex offenders committed at least one child image re-offence when compared with the matched comparison offenders (4.4% compared with 2.9 %).
"The results suggest that while Core SOTP in prisons is generally associated with little or no changes in sexual and non-sexual reoffending ... the small changes in the sexual reoffending rate suggest that either Core SOTP does not reduce sexual reoffending as it intends to do, or that the true impact of the programme was not detected.
"Group treatment may 'normalise' individuals' behaviour. When stories are shared, their behaviour may not be seen as wrong or different; or at worst, contacts and sources associated with sexual offending may be shared."
An earlier version of the scheme, in place in 2000, had appeared to reduce the offending of medium-risk men.
But a study seven years later, after Core SOTP had been expanded, suggested the sessions had become too generic and based around a "detailed manual", rather than tailored to each offender.
The Ministry of Justice began to review the schemes in 2010 amid emerging evidence of what was working - and on Friday it confirmed it had replaced Core SOTP and the extended version for high-risk offenders in March.
Offenders who would have originally taken part in those schemes were now on programmes called "Horizon" and "Kaizen". While the new schemes still involve group sessions, the inmates are no longer required to discuss their own offences.
"We keep treatment programmes under constant review to reduce re offending and protect the public," said the statement.
"The treatment of sex offenders is a complex issue, subject to international scrutiny and research. In the UK, we have been evaluating our Sex Offender Treatment Programmes since before 2003.
"We have discontinued two of the eight programmes and replaced them with new courses as part of this process. These new programmes will be monitored closely."

It is not like this should be a surprise is it ???

What should we do with them ???

Hanging ???

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
As the article says group treatment "normalises" their past behaviour so it is not viewed as aberrant amongst their peers within the group. I wonder if they did a reoffending comparison between those treated within a group environment and those treated on an individual one to one basis.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
I have just had child services around because a local church group volunteer has been reported as sending inappropriate messages. It was my daughter that raised the alarm. He was Facebooking her, which should be banned, and asking to swap photos and go around his house. My daughter is 17 and he has been targeting at least 15 to 17 year olds. My daughter didn't tell me or her mum, for boyfriend reasons but she politely said she is busy to the **** and I reckon if he had even tried to touch her, she would have kicked him in the bollocks. She sent the messages to his girlfriend, who has now dumped him. I'm proud that she has told authorities and hopefully this **** will be prosecuted. If not, I know his name...

Sent from my XT1072 using Tapatalk

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Had a friend who worked in this field at Maidstone nick, while a famous person was in there.
Although a long time ago I remember her saying that treatment will never work all the time that they don't think that they have done anything wrong.
Most don't know what they have done to be imprisoned and constantly cry innocence.
They tend to gloat, share and reoffend.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Pretty sure castration would stop them re-offending.

Big G

Dec 14, 2005
Brighton
Why waste all that money on 'treatment'?
Should be spending significantly less on either...a length of rope, bullet, or syringe full of drain cleaner!
But that would infringe their 'human rights'...(**** the victims human rights eh)..and we couldn't have that could we....the likes of Corbyn's lackeys like that vile do gooder Shami Chakrabarti would be getting their knickers in a twist about human rights and trying to railroad everyone into thinking they have some sort of moral high ground over anyone who dares to think different, whilst finding it totally acceptable to totally disregard the offenders crime and the effect it will have on the victim for the rest of their lives...!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here