Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Burger King wins

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Sadly Burger King have won the battle to open a fast food outlet in the old pub at the junction of East Street and the seafront.
As a trader on the seafront myself, but not selling food so not connected, I feel this to be the end of Brighton seafront as we know it now and for the past 100 plus years. Brighton is known for its small independent restaurants, coffee shops and the like and once we cave in to the big boys all that we have known before will be gone. Stroll along the front in Blackpool and the choice is McDonalds, McDonalds or McDonalds. It wont be long before they arrive as well (think I know where). Take a look at the i360 and spot the word Brighton, it's not mentioned only corporate logos. Walk around the streets on a warm evening and small restaurants are packed with customers being served by the owner, not a spotty student or even worse a self service till. I talk to tourists who come to Brighton because it is an independent state, heck we even have the only green MP. "We don't do Tesco or Starbucks" is the way I put it, but those days are going.
I'm saddened by this.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
burger-king-restaurant-with-flags-on-flagpoles-brighton-seafront-uk-cygjf5.jpg

:shrug:

I get what your saying, but this Burger King outlet will not last any longer than the previous one above did. Too close to the clock tower one, and zero passing trade from October to April every year. Sadly the Bison Beer pub idea for that site was just pie in the sky, way too big a site for a craft beer pub.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I think people have slightly rose tinted specs over present day Brighton. Yes it has a rep for small and independent but look around, the place is rammed with Starbucks, Pret, a dozen chain noodle shops, loads of sushi chains, pizza chains, Italian chains, all you can shove up your arse buffets, chain shops, chain pubs, chain cinemas.....

It is no longer exclusive in it's "indie vibe". Every town and city in the country now has it's own boho districts.

It's a crying shame but it's the truth. Every seaside town has its heyday, Brighton's started it's twighlight in 1999.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I think people have slightly rose tinted specs over present day Brighton. Yes it has a rep for small and independent but look around, the place is rammed with Starbucks, Pret, a dozen chain noodle shops, loads of sushi chains, pizza chains, Italian chains, all you can shove up your arse buffets, chain shops, chain pubs, chain cinemas.....

It is no longer exclusive in it's "indie vibe". Every town and city in the country now has it's own boho districts.

It's a crying shame but it's the truth. Every seaside town has its heyday, Brighton's started it's twighlight in 1999.

And while I would much rather a bar than a BK (I'd like rather have a heart attack than BK) and while I love that pubs have more choice now, dedicated craft pubs jumping on the hipster bandwagon are run by ***** and full of *****.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Bit dramatic. It has been empty for years and before that it was a grotty chain pub. Much of the seafront is grott anyway.

Have to admit I hadn't even noticed that the Madeira Drive Burger King had closed down, apparently some years ago.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Every major City and Town NEEDS MORE Take Aways - Charity Shops and Bookmakers!! it clearly is the making of all Towns & Citys!!

George St in Hove always disappoints me: couldn't they manage to get some more charity or coffee shops down there??

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I thought the bison beer people were opening it as a pub

exactly what i thought. i recall they had a crown funding, and it was all going ahead, what happened?

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
It's a damn shame.

If they do open I'd hope they will be heavily fined when all their rubbish is dumped on the beach by overweight tourists.

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
George St in Hove always disappoints me: couldn't they manage to get some more charity or coffee shops down there??

All main towns etc are doing the same, well most are! it really is a crying shame that most high streets are now dead end places, all the main shops are (sorry, HAVE) gone to shopping outlets etc.

Our nearest Town is Bridgend in South wales, 20 years ago it was a great place to go, shopping was brilliant as was entertainment, as in pubs, live music food etc, this last 20 years it has died very quickly, on a good note, money is now being invested privately and it is coming back, slowly! I am at an age where I have seen the decline of way too many towns and Cities........

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
There used to be a BK in the old Barclays on the Dials. That closed swiftly from what I recall.
Personally I don't care what they do with the seafront, within reason, it's been a dump for two decades now. I lived in Brighton for 17 years and rarely went to the seafront. Far nicer beaches with far less people and far nicer cafes etc all up and down the Sussex Coast all within daytripping distance. And you don't have to poke up with every hipster twonk whose rocked up in Brighton with nothing but a pair of bongoes and a dream.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Stroll along the front in Blackpool and the choice is McDonalds, McDonalds or McDonalds..

Er, no while it's not full of fine dining fish restaurants, its not all McDonalds. (only 2 on the Golden mile I believe) but

Harry Ramsden, lots of fish 'n' chip shops, tacky gift shops, Blackpool Tower.Ballroom, pubs, cheap b&bs

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Sorry but Blackpool makes Brighton look like Monte Carlo. Its a filthy, ramshackle dump of a town.

Brighton is far from perfect, but its a long way from declining to Blackpools extent.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I can't be the only one who likes the occasional Bacon Double Cheeseburger? Proper Service station hangover material that which makes you feel a bit dirty afterwards.

Perhaps if they did a Meal deal with a pint of Bishops Bellend or whatever Bison knock up it would be a compromise for everyone.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Sorry but Blackpool makes Brighton look like Monte Carlo. Its a filthy, ramshackle dump of a town.

Brighton is far from perfect, but its a long way from declining to Blackpools extent.

Two very different towns. Blackpool has declined along with the attraction of the great British seaside holiday. Same as many others. Brighton has declined in a very different way, its decline lies at the feet of slow and steady corporate takeover and successive councils doing more and more for corporatIon and tourists and next to nothing to improve the lot of its residents. This is why it hasn't drastically physically deteriorated, it's always been a little dirty but the quality of Brighton is in rapid decline.

Well, that's my take on it. Might be wrong.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here