Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mainstream Media etc...

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Debate at the end of Question Time tonight.

Slightly off the topic, but does anyone else like me tend to read newspapers / TV news they don't agree with.. rather than the ones they do ?

All online these days but I'll quite happily read the Express, The Star (and the Morning Star), The Mail etc...

Doesn't mean I agree with any of if.

I used to have a guilty pleasure of finding The Sun on the Tube and reading it very very deeply and watching others reaction.

Listen to LBC quite a bit too which beyond Katie Hopkins is not quite the frothing at the mouth station I assumed.

Another guilty pleasure is the pres preview on Sky News. Much better then the BBC version.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
The Express and The Mail make you realise what narrow lives some people must live. Still everyone is different

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Occasionally, if I find a copy on the train, then I'll look at the Mail and Sun because they are so influential.

Usually, within about a 10 seconds, I find myself open mouthed at some inaccuracy.

However, I find the same when reading the Guardian or Observer.

I do read the Telegraph every now and then. Even though I'm not of the same political persuasion as that paper, I find the journalism pretty good and arguments are well put.

The Mail and the Sun are just rabble rousers - wholly irresponsible.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Still like a paper and still use these as main source of current affairs. Millenials cant cope with more than a headline because addicted to swipe left crack that is the smartphone: I like to read quality journalism but then I can because I don't have the attention span of a gnat like young voters do fortunately!

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
. Millenials cant cope with more than a headline because addicted to swipe left crack that is the smartphone: I like to read quality journalism but then I can because I don't have the attention span of a gnat like young voters do fortunately!
That's quite the generalisation.

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
Still like a paper and still use these as main source of current affairs. Millenials cant cope with more than a headline because addicted to swipe left crack that is the smartphone: I like to read quality journalism but then I can because I don't have the attention span of a gnat like young voters do fortunately!

Thank god there are still people like you out there! Who knows what will happen once all these phone-addled youngsters are running the show! Hopefully they'll get bored in twenty minutes..

Youngsters eh!

;)

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Thank god there are still people like you out there! Who knows what will happen once all these phone-addled youngsters are running the show! Hopefully they'll get bored in twenty minutes..

Youngsters eh!

;)

The other day I saw one on the way to school (head down on iPhone, obviously) with their shirt untucked too! Standards? STANDARDS I say...?!

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
That's what generalisations are for - sweeping statements but on balance...(in this case, true)

Would be helpful if you could put a number on what age constitutes that generalisation? That way we can easily discount everything these people ever say or do.

Quick question, do they become sane after a certain age? If not, please express the limit as a date of birth. For accuracy.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Would be helpful if you could put a number on what age constitutes that generalisation? That way we can easily discount everything these people ever say or do.

Quick question, do they become sane after a certain age? If not, please express the limit as a date of birth. For accuracy.

I think sanity GOES with age doesn't it? :)

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
You jest!! Next you'll be telling me they had their tie knotted in a non-conformist manner!

Let's just say it wasn't a double-windsor...still, they won't be required to wear them soon, further erosion of STANDARDS!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i read the Guardian, which i'm not entirely aligned with, mostly because its decent online.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Generalisations are (generally) generalisations. In which context, accuracy is an oxymoron.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Occasionally, if I find a copy on the train, then I'll look at the Mail and Sun because they are so influential.

Usually, within about a 10 seconds, I find myself open mouthed at some inaccuracy.

However, I find the same when reading the Guardian or Observer.

I do read the Telegraph every now and then. Even though I'm not of the same political persuasion as that paper, I find the journalism pretty good and arguments are well put.

The Mail and the Sun are just rabble rousers - wholly irresponsible.

I'm with you on most of it but swap around the Guardian and Telegraph. The Guardian columnists often leave me shaking my head in disbelief though. In their own way they are often as bad as Hopkins or Piers Morgan. I still read the Beeb website, I used to read the HuffPost and Breitbart but wised up to both very quickly. Another online paper that is now unreadable is the Independent.

About the only political show I watch now is the one with Andrew Neil. He's so good that he makes all the others look amateurish. My big guilty pleasure is watching the Tucker Carlson show. He's a Fox News journalist/commentator/interviewer and always good value.

Razzoo

Sep 11, 2011
N. Yorkshire
I'm with you on most of it but swap around the Guardian and Telegraph. The Guardian columnists often leave me shaking my head in disbelief though. In their own way they are often as bad as Hopkins or Piers Morgan. I still read the Beeb website, I used to read the HuffPost and Breitbart but wised up to both very quickly. Another online paper that is now unreadable is the Independent.

About the only political show I watch now is the one with Andrew Neil. He's so good that he makes all the others look amateurish. My big guilty pleasure is watching the Tucker Carlson show. He's a Fox News journalist/commentator/interviewer and always good value.

Recently discovered Tucker, he's great isn't he? I love his often quizzical, incredulous expression. He does interview some idiots though.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I only usually buy a paper at the weekend, and my choice is driven by the quality of the sports pages, so I usually get The Sunday Times. One of lifes simple pleasures is taking the sports pullout with me down the pub for a couple of pints and a bit of a read. I like the David Walsh and Rod Liddle columns, Graeme Souness and Andrew Strauss give excellent anaylsis, and the match reports from the likes of Jonathan Northcroft are a good read.

Really looking forward to seeing a few more column inches for BHA now we're in the big time though, as the Times's coverage of anything outside the Premier League is perfunctory at best.

HH Brighton

Jul 25, 2003
Debate at the end of Question Time tonight.

Slightly off the topic, but does anyone else like me tend to read newspapers / TV news they don't agree with.. rather than the ones they do ?

All online these days but I'll quite happily read the Express, The Star (and the Morning Star), The Mail etc...

Doesn't mean I agree with any of if.

I used to have a guilty pleasure of finding The Sun on the Tube and reading it very very deeply and watching others reaction.

Listen to LBC quite a bit too which beyond Katie Hopkins is not quite the frothing at the mouth station I assumed.

Another guilty pleasure is the pres preview on Sky News. Much better then the BBC version.

You have to some comfort that from the recent election result and analysis into voting that suggests the mainstream newspapers are less relevant. Its a case of educating people about what they are reading but I think this tends to be the older generation who then tend to vote on what they read in the right wing press. Social media has been great for weading out the lies, untruths and headline scaremongering. I think the future looks promising on this front.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
The media has got a lot to answer to for the mess we are in.

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here