Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Simon Grayson is new Sunderland manager

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Very under rated manager, he always seems to work us out. I think he'll be a success.

During the Amex era, Albion have only beaten a Grayson side once in six attempts (Huddersfield, in November 2012). Three draws against Preston, a draw against Leeds in September 2011 and a defeat to Preston in January this year.

Not at all like Hyypia. A good and capable manager who knows the Championship inside out. He has managed to get all of the teams he has managed promoted. Blackpool, Leeds, Huddersfield, and Preston.

With all the turmoil at the club in recent years, who did Sunderland fans expect their manager to be?

It's a good point. They have massive expectations, but the club is all over the place. He may just be the right guy to level them out.

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
Good appointment for Sunderland, exactly what they need right now.

Exactly what I think - other than some (who are a little above their stations at the moment) we are not going to attract an established Premier League manager right now.

Off the pitch is not as bad as some think however we need stability on the pitch - I am thinking mid table next year and think that Grayson will help achieve that. We play Fulham in May which I have already earmarked as its an away game I really like and its close. I was saying to mates knowing Sunderland it will be a dead rubber as we will either be Promoted or Relegated by that point, its always a roller coaster and I guess that is the attraction of football

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
It's a good point. They have massive expectations, but the club is all over the place. He may just be the right guy to level them out.

He may be if he's given time and not beaten by player power. It's the latter that seems to be the downfall of many managers there

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
He is a very capable Championship manager who will stabalise them and keep them in the Championship but I cannot see him leading them back to the Premier.

Yep, I expect them to finish in a solid mid table spot now, playing some fairly unadventurous but percentage football. In truth, that is probably what the doctor ordered, as there must have been a reasonable chance of going into free-fall if they'd brought in an expensive alternative who might have expected to work with players good enough to bounce straight back but would have been in for a rude awakening when it transpired they were too pony to carry out his instructions.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I think that is an excellent choice for Sunderland. my fear is that they won't give Grayson the two seasons he will probably need. The expectation for Sunderland will be to go straight back up. That is unrealistic. Give him two full seasons and I'd be confident he would do the job, but I doubt he will get that long which is ridiculous.

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
I think that is an excellent choice for Sunderland. my fear is that they won't give Grayson the two seasons he will probably need. The expectation for Sunderland will be to go straight back up. That is unrealistic. Give him two full seasons and I'd be confident he would do the job, but I doubt he will get that long which is ridiculous.

Not sure about that, I think most fans are realistic in that there is a job that needs to be done and I think the owner has mirrored that as well

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Not sure about that, I think most fans are realistic ...

Hmmm.... having escaped relegation by the skin of your teeth for a few seasons and with minimal investment in the team, you looked a good bet for going down last year and Moyes would have to have been a miracle worker to keep you up. Despite this, your fans were calling on him to go from halfway through the season. There wasn't much realism there.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
During the Amex era, Albion have only beaten a Grayson side once in six attempts (Huddersfield, in November 2012). Three draws against Preston, a draw against Leeds in September 2011 and a defeat to Preston in January this year.

Preston and Brentford were the 2 sides that impressed me most over the last couple of years. Would love to see both of them making a good challenge for the PL next year, got a lot of time for both teams and Grayson too. He's a bloody good manager and his quiet and unassuming manner reminds me a lot of Hughton.

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
They need a few years in the champ. Perfect appointment as will never get them up or take them down.

They only have about 16 players in their squad after Defoe and borini going.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here