Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Simon Grayson is new Sunderland manager

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
My first team courtesy of my Dad, or is it Exeter where I was born? No chance they'll drop another division for only the second time in their history. Glad my third team are doing a bit better this year.

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014
Probably the exact type of manager they need right now - a manager that has solid Championship experience and that will offer them stability. Also given that it's public knowledge that Short wants rid of the club and not much budget will be available, a lot of decent managers won't give them a second glance at the moment.

Lot of work will need to be done before they can push for a promotion place.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Poor choice. Grayson succeeds at smaller clubs. This won't last

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Surprised he left a decent club who were reasonably successful last season for an unstable one.

Must boil down to money. Wonder how long he'll last?

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I bet the Sunderland fans are underwhelmed, bit like us appointing Hyypia. Worth a punt on them going straight through into League 1

Not at all like Hyypia. A good and capable manager who knows the Championship inside out. He has managed to get all of the teams he has managed promoted. Blackpool, Leeds, Huddersfield, and Preston.

With all the turmoil at the club in recent years, who did Sunderland fans expect their manager to be?

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009

My thoughts exactly, so I'll be putting a few quid on them romping to the title.

I see them as another Aston Villa, begging for the relief of relegation for years and they'll need at least one season to weed out the rubbish. The difference is they've appointed a sensible manager who knows the league. It's a shame for Preston, and Josh Harrop in particular who gambled on him staying. Preston almost certainly for a relegation scrap now, and Sunderland to be in midtable for me, with a new manager come the end of the season.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Very under rated manager, he always seems to work us out. I think he'll be a success.

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
Given where we are at as a club I think its a decent appointment. Not sure that we are in turmoil as some have said but we have certainly had better times (and worse times looking at how many points we ended the season with)

Short wants to see, a German consortium were in but it didnt progress so it sounds like he is here to stay, at least a little longer

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015

I think it all depend what type of player they go for. Grayson won't be able to cope with ''big ego'' players. He is OK with your limited ability players because Grayson doesn't really have experience with big players. One things for sure. Sunderland fans have been used to boring football, so they won't be disappointed with that appointment I that regard

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Given where we are at as a club I think its a decent appointment. Not sure that we are in turmoil as some have said but we have certainly had better times (and worse times looking at how many points we ended the season with)

Short wants to see, a German consortium were in but it didnt progress so it sounds like he is here to stay, at least a little longer

You must have buried your head in the sand.

DailyStar

Simon Grayson to Sunderland: Sorting out turmoil is first job for new boss

SIMON GRAYSON walks into a club in turmoil after being announced as Sunderland's new manager.

Simon Grayson is set to become the new Sunderland manager
Grayson has decided to quit Preston and has been installed as Black Cats boss following the collapse of takeover talks with a German consortium.

Owner Ellis Short pulled the plug on the day a depleted squad reported back to pre-season training with coach Robbie Stockdale put in charge of team affairs.

Sunderland have been in limbo since David Moyes left in May with Short desperate to sell up and the managerial search put on hold while he looked for potential buyers.

Now the £90m buyout is on the backburner with Short staying put at least until the end of the season.

Grayson, who will be handed a £20m budget, has received assurances from chief executive Martin Bain that he was unable to give former No.1 target Derek McInnes.

“We have concluded these talks would not be in the best interests of Sunderland”

But Grayson inherits a squad desperately short of quality and quantity.

With Jermain Defoe joining Bournemouth and Fabio Borini sealing his shock £5m move to AC Milan, Sunderland’s new boss will fly out to a training camp in Austria on Monday with NO recognised strikers.

Sunderland also have a host of players out of contract ahead of life in Championship.

Grayson knows he is joining a club crippled by debt with an owner whose long-term future remains uncertain.

The Wearsiders have also gone through six manager since Grayson joined Preston in 2013.

The 47-year-old though is up for the challenge and undeterred by the problems facing him.

He indicated a fortnight ago he was keen on the job, well aware that had the German takeover come off, the club would have looked elsewhere.

His first priority will be to bolster his frontline with Everton winger Aiden McGeady, who was with him at Deepdale last season, certain to be on his radar.

A club statement, released within minutes of Preston announcing that they had granted permission for Grayson to speak with Sunderland, claimed the sale would “not be in the best interests of Sunderland.”

It said: “Ellis Short and the board were committed to ascertain if this group was better placed to take the club forward in the right way and to improve it, both on and off the pitch.

“A defined timeframe was placed on discussions to ensure that the club could move forward quickly and decisively with its plans for the new season should they not come to fruition.

“We have concluded these talks and have determined that this proposed sale would not be in the best interests of Sunderland AFC.

“Ellis Short will continue his commitment to the club, both financially and personally, moving forward.”

Jan 22, 2017
Think it's a decent appointment sadly, they'll finish in the top 7 I think. The longer the takeover nonsense was taking the worse it was going to be but they have appointed someone at last decent opportunity and they can start selling some of their dead wood and making some signings now.

Going to be interesting season.

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
You must have buried your head in the sand.

DailyStar

SIMON GRAYSON walks into a club in turmoil after being announced as Sunderland's new manager.

Simon Grayson is set to become the new Sunderland manager
Grayson has decided to quit Preston and has been installed as Black Cats boss following the collapse of takeover talks with a German consortium.

Owner Ellis Short pulled the plug on the day a depleted squad reported back to pre-season training with coach Robbie Stockdale put in charge of team affairs.

Sunderland have been in limbo since David Moyes left in May with Short desperate to sell up and the managerial search put on hold while he looked for potential buyers.

Now the £90m buyout is on the backburner with Short staying put at least until the end of the season.

Grayson, who will be handed a £20m budget, has received assurances from chief executive Martin Bain that he was unable to give former No.1 target Derek McInnes.

“We have concluded these talks would not be in the best interests of Sunderland”

But Grayson inherits a squad desperately short of quality and quantity.

With Jermain Defoe joining Bournemouth and Fabio Borini sealing his shock £5m move to AC Milan, Sunderland’s new boss will fly out to a training camp in Austria on Monday with NO recognised strikers.

Sunderland also have a host of players out of contract ahead of life in Championship.

Grayson knows he is joining a club crippled by debt with an owner whose long-term future remains uncertain.

The Wearsiders have also gone through six manager since Grayson joined Preston in 2013.

The 47-year-old though is up for the challenge and undeterred by the problems facing him.

He indicated a fortnight ago he was keen on the job, well aware that had the German takeover come off, the club would have looked elsewhere.

His first priority will be to bolster his frontline with Everton winger Aiden McGeady, who was with him at Deepdale last season, certain to be on his radar.

A club statement, released within minutes of Preston announcing that they had granted permission for Grayson to speak with Sunderland, claimed the sale would “not be in the best interests of Sunderland.”

It said: “Ellis Short and the board were committed to ascertain if this group was better placed to take the club forward in the right way and to improve it, both on and off the pitch.

“A defined timeframe was placed on discussions to ensure that the club could move forward quickly and decisively with its plans for the new season should they not come to fruition.

“We have concluded these talks and have determined that this proposed sale would not be in the best interests of Sunderland AFC.

“Ellis Short will continue his commitment to the club, both financially and personally, moving forward.”

I honestly didn't read beyond the second line which said daily Star. Turmoil to me would be financial difficulty, not dropping down which we have needed to do for some time now and I actually see as a positive. My head is firmly in the air and look forward to seeing what happens next year.
The club is secure off the pitch and hopefully we won't go to the third division for only the second time in our history where the first was very short

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here