Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Chris Gargan former president of Whitehawk FC jailed for racially abusing woman

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Going by the report of the circumstances in which the abuse was made it comes across as a particularly nasty and vile case of racial abuse. Apart from the factor of the nature of the abuse it was against a woman who was pregnant and who was accompanied by her family including her nieces who I assume were children given she was helping them with a colouring book at the time.
Has this man got history because according to the reports the Judge read out his previous offences before sentencing him.

http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/1537...cist_abuse_of_pregnant_woman_at_Brighton_pub/

http://www.brightonandhovenews.org/2017/06/28/man-jailed-for-racial-insult-in-brighton-pub/

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
He's a co-owner. Isn't the other owner a slum landlord? Seem a nice pair.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Which is ironic seeing as Whitehawk fans sing anti-racist songs every match.

clarkey

Jan 3, 2006
His son is former Albion Youth Team striker (and Whitehawk, Worthing etc) Sam Gargan, is he not?

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
Surprised at this. I sort of know Chris through other friends and played Footie against him back in the 80's. Whilst he was always a handful, he never came across as a racist.

Has done very well for himself and I'm really sad to hear this news.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
There has to be a lot more to the story.

Whilst I'm not defending what he did, 4 months bird seems a very harsh sentence.

Racially aggravated harassment has a starting point of custody. Mitigating factor is short duration but aggravating factors are location, victim's condition and previous convictions (whilst not explicitly quoted, the fact that the judge referred to them means he must have taken account of them so I assume he has form for similar).
Then the fact that he went to full trial at crown court (so it must be section 4 which is more serious) and was found guilty means there's no reduction on sentence.
So 4 munce seems about right.

He was in the year above me at school and his brother was in my class, they were a pair of nutcases and it looks like at least one of them still is.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
There has to be a lot more to the story. .

I tend to agree, I know Gargon has a reputation for being a hard-nut, but I cannot fathom how anyone unprovoked could randomly go up to someone and give them such vile abuse, no excuse but I would at least of expected some previous interaction or confrontation between the group.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Thought this line was interesting: and after reading out his previous convictions, Judge Niblett sent the successful businessman to jail

Obvouisly been there before...

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Nasty vile person.

I am shocked at the sentence mind, know someone stabbed by a knife recently and the gang got supervision orders only! No custodial when the government makes a big deal about 5years just for being caught carrying a knife?! Lesson there is by all means you can stab someone. But don't racially abuse your victim at the same time or you'll be in real trouble!!

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

I tend to agree, I know Gargon has a reputation for being a hard-nut, but I cannot fathom how anyone unprovoked could randomly go up to someone and give them such vile abuse, no excuse but I would at least of expected some previous interaction or confrontation between the group.

I guess the Judge/Jury will have had all those pieces of info in deciding the outcome..

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
They've made a bit of a clumsy attempt to expunge his name from the KSD Group website. The profile of his business partner Mark Ratcliffe contains the following statement:
"Mark, along with his long-standing business partners Peter McDonnell started the business "back in the day"."

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Some folk, especially with a pint in them, reveal their true racist views.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
If there had been some previous interaction or confrontation i'm sure it would have appeared in at least one of the sides' statements or testimonies, if not both. It surely wouldn't have been in both their interests to keep quiet about any previous confrontation. There also doesn't appear to have been any cctv evidence which captured any such previous confrontation, that's of course if there was any cctv present where any previous confrontation may have taken place. But as I say I doubt there was any previous because I'm sure it would have been in the interests for at least one of them to have mentioned it. Maybe one of the group just gave him a "look" which he took offence to and that was the extent of any confrontation. It doesn't take much to set some people off and maybe he was even looking for something to take offence at as an excuse to start on them, so maybe just an innocuous casual glance from one of the group set him off. Saw it happen a lot in pubs and clubs when I was a teenager but he's a 55 year old man so should be well past that behaviour.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here