Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pronunciation

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Was a little surprised to hear a BBC Five Live presenter pronouncing the H in HR.

So is it:

Haitch or
Aitch?

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
I guess some users who say Haitch do so because they think they shouldn't 'drop their Hs' but wrongly do so.

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Doesn't bother me greatly. Unlike people who drop the r from the past tense of buy (because it sounds posher, FFS.). Bought, as in the past tense of 'bing'. I'm getting all cross now. :facepalm::lolol:

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Doesn't bother me greatly. Unlike people who drop the r from the past tense of buy (because it sounds posher, FFS.). Bought, as in the past tense of 'bing'. I'm getting all cross now. :facepalm::lolol:

That's just misusing the wrong word rather than pronunciation.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
On a recent trip to the UK I was shocked how bad pronunciation often is there. Even the BBC can't get it right any more. It is 'our,' not 'are'. It is 'mayor,' not 'mare.' It is 'secretary,' not 'seckertary.'

Grrrr. Pronounced 'Grrrr.'

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
It's BreXit, not Breggsit, Tim Farron you muppet !!!

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Doesn't bother me greatly. Unlike people who drop the r from the past tense of buy (because it sounds posher, FFS.). Bought, as in the past tense of 'bing'. I'm getting all cross now. :facepalm:[emoji38]ol:

Surely the past tense of buy is bought, which doesn't have an 'r' in it to start with.

???

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here