Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Johnny Foreigner as a phrase

Soul Finger

May 12, 2004
Is it acceptable these days?

I'm not sure so I'm putting it out there for the good people of NSC to come in with their tuppence worths.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Brexit with 20.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Is it better, or worse than Carlos Kick-a-ball, or round about the same level?

Well my name is Carlos and neither Carlos kick-a-ball or Carlos fandango for that mater offend me. Johnny Foreigner isn't offensive.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Redmond - did we dodge a bullet?

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
Foreigner literally just means someone coming from a different country.

Traditionally Sussex people regard anyone from out of County as a Foreigner.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Doesn't strike me as offensive but the context it's used in will shape if it's taken offensively or not.

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
Foreigner literally just means someone coming from a different country. And Johnny is a name.

I don't know, people are allowed to feel whatever they like but if they're offended by that then I'd say maybe lighten up a bit.

Exactly .

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Is it acceptable these days?

I'm not sure so I'm putting it out there for the good people of NSC to come in with their tuppence worths.
You're not sure? Jeez. No it isn't offensive in any way shape or form - but this is how it starts. One person on social media queries something, or one academic produces a spurious and skewed paper and before you know it a snowball starts as the Permanently Outraged gleefully realise they have a new cause. So well done, I bet someone picks up on this thread and before we know it using the term 'Johnny Foreigner' will soon be seen as a vile hate crime.

What next? I'm 'not sure'* if the terms 'Johnny-come-lately' (JCL) and 'Newbie' are acceptable any more.

Anyway, that's my tuppenceworth.

*Said for effect. I'm perfectly sure they're not offensive

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Yes, of course it's offensive, arn't we all one big happy planet family? My groatsworth, together for the journey

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Having the name Johnny and being from abroad I find every time I hear Johnny Foreigner I have to turn this on s causing me to suffer the stiff neck

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Isn't it usually used in the context of an attempt to parody what a xenophobe might say? Actual xenophobes and bigots use coded or more blatantly derogatory terms.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here